NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2008 Pontiac Torrent electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Pontiac Torrent:

2008 Pontiac Torrent Owner Comments

Feb 182014

Airbag light is on and off even when my sister who is approx. 140lbs sitting in psgr seat. This was recalled for 2007 but should add 2008. This vehicle was only built as limited edition between 2007 and 2008. We had a rear end and front end collision and airbags did not deploy when car was total in back end. We were actually hit and pushed on top of the car in front of us to the middle of her roof. They repairs car at dealer and still air bag light and reset several times and still goes off and on whether someone sitting there or not. Dangerious..... the vehicle was stopped and impact was a pickup truck 1992 heavy duty hit us at approx. 60 mph. He never hit breaks and we kept going til I was stopped on the roof of the other vehicle. We are lucky to be alive. Sister after two years is still suffering perm injuries for life. I suffered and have a perm brace on foot from hitting break twice really hard. #1 is my car damaged in rear, #2 is the truck who hit us, #3 is that tire came out of the back of truck on impact....thru the window... proof of how hard we were hit with injures. They transported to hosp other driver, I thought I was ok but was in shock and only worried about other people. Next day was treated for injuries as well as sister treated and still on going.

- Seffner, FL, USA

Oct 152015

Diver's door power windows, power door lock and door open/closed sensor not working due to broken wires in between car and door. Looks like wires are too short and have broken.

- Sutherland Springs, TX, USA

Jul 182013

Lights on the dashboard are constantly coming on. Over the past 3 years, I constantly have problems with the "check engine"; "service stabilitrak"; and "service traction control" lights coming on. I live in pa and was driving to Mississippi when it first happened and needless to say I panicked. I called back home to my dealership and was told I should be okay until I got home, that I only needed to be concerned if the roads were wet. It was on the entire trip and by the time I got home and went to the dealership, it turned off. They could not tell me why. Now it comes on whenever it wants to and stays on for days. Then it goes off for a few days and then comes on again. No rhyme or reason as to what causes it. I'm concerned that it may be causing a bigger problem. Not happy that I have not been able to get any resolve to this.

- Bellefonte, PA, USA

Feb 152015

Torrent 6-cyl

Ignition switch started getting stuck and key would not come out. Has gotten worse and a couple times engine would not shut off. Has drained the battery a couple times now requiring emergency roadside assistance.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 122015

Battery died, and after getting a boost the stabilitrack light track came on. My steering wheel became very hard to steer. Turning was almost impossible. I ran into a curb while trying to turn.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Mar 042013

Torrent 6-cyl

The vehicle air bag sensor in passenger seat is faulty. Shows airbag off when passenger is in seat. The front/passenger door wire harness is too tight which end result is both windows do not work because the harness wires have snapped due to them being drawn so tight.... I have had to replace spark plugs/all wires as well as drive shaft all of a sudden was broken too. Both wheel hubs replaced on front of vehicle ~ service to stabilitrak numerous of times.... now I'm driving around with a tick in the motor with 120,000 miles on it..... this vehicle has turned out to be a nightmare!!!!! and of course the dealer only wants $498 to just hook up the tech 2 to let me know all that is wrong!!!!!!! wow.....I have taken great care with betsy including all scheduled maintenance to and for what I wish I knew.... just disappointed!!!

- Carlisle, OH, USA

Apr 012014

2008 Pontiac Torrent. Consumer writes in regards to steering wheel and ignition switch freezing up, intermittently. The consumer stated there were times, when the key wouldn't come out of the ignition.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jul 252012

The contact owns a 2008 Pontiac Torrent AWD. The contact was traveling 45 mph when the seat belt and air bag warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who confirmed the computer needed to be reset. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 49,000.

- Gillett, WI, USA