Taillights Causing An Electrical Short

6.0

1. cleaning and moving the contacts (1 reports)
1998 Pontiac Transport lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Pontiac Transport:

1998 Pontiac Transport Owner Comments

Oct 022007

Transport 3.4L V6

PROBLEM: Last fall I noticed that the cruse control would turn off when I used the turn signal? Slowly I lost the 'trip computer' then the turn signals would flash quickly when the brakes were applied. I assumed that there was a bad bulb somewhere with the brakes and turn signals. I would also notice that the clock on the radio would dim when the turn signals and brakes were used. Long story- short, more and more things seemed to be failing over time. I was starting to think it was related to the alternator.

SOLUTION: I pulled the taillights and took a closer look. I pulled the plugs on the top of the lights and I found melted contacts on one of the six contact points. I was going to tin the contact points put that didn't work very well. I took a screw driver and realigned the sockets and scrapped off the melted plastic on the pins.

Tested the lights and they worked perfectly! All the other problems went away! :)

What I find strange is this is the second GM Van that I have seen melted contact points either on the plugs or on the sockets of the bulbs. Seeing there is n o recall on this I hope this info helps someone else with the same problem!

- , Hilliard, OH, USA