NHTSA — Equipment Problems Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: The Pontiac Vibe is the mechanical twin of the Toyota Matrix.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2003 Pontiac Vibe accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Pontiac Vibe:

2003 Pontiac Vibe Owner Comments

Nov 052008

After having the recall done on my 2003 Vibe, for the replacement of bolts in the power window mechanism. In August I again began experiencing loud cracking noises and screeching upon operation of the windows. I was told to return to the dealership that performed the recall to have it checked. They examined the windows and the mechanics heard the noises but weren't able to determine a cause. They lubricated the mechanism, for which I had to pay, and said I should not have any further problem. However, if I did have any more trouble the cost would be my responsibility. I used the windows very little because I had no confidence in the repair. I began to hear the noises again. Yesterday, upon returning from taking my mother to her heart specialist, I stopped near our mail box. My mother opened the passenger side window about 2/3 of the way. As she started to reach through the opening, to the get the mail, the window exploded. I say exploded because the force at which it shattered was so great the it threw glass onto the roof of the car. Fortunately no one was hurt. My mother was covered in glass, as was the passenger side of the car. Glass also hit my daughter who was in the back seat.

- Friedens, PA, USA