NHTSA — Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System Problems Seal Of Pretty Good Notes: The Pontiac Vibe is the mechanical twin of the Toyota Matrix.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2009 Pontiac Vibe exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac Vibe:

2009 Pontiac Vibe Owner Comments

Jul 052009

Vibe 4-cyl

2 weeks ago, I started smelling a gas odor coming from the front of my car as I drove. Then as I started it and stopped it ; I smelled it. Now it smells like exhaust all the time. I took it to the dealer today and they went over the entire exhaust and gas system and said it is fine. They agreed there is a "chemical smell", but nothing is wrong or the computer system would alert us. I picked up my car and it still smells like exhaust, not a "chemical". my husband and I became nauseous driving after and hour last week and had to roll down the windows. He said he was light headed. It never smelled like this before and I can't stand driving it not only because it stinks but possible carbon monoxide.

- Aberdeen, MD, USA

Feb 042010

Catalytic converter odor inside car upon medium or greater acceleration on Pontiac Vibe 2009 2.4L engine. This is vehicle type complaint.

- Ravenna, OH, USA

Nov 302008

Exhaust smell inside passenger compartment. This is an ongoing problem. Dealership states there is no problem.

- San Jose, CA, USA