1. replace gearbox (1 reports)
2000 Porsche Boxster transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Porsche Boxster:

2000 Porsche Boxster Owner Comments

Oct 112010

Boxster Carrera 4 / 996 3.5L

I was notified by the Johannesburg Porsche Centre Service consultant in 2010 of the gearbox leaking through the gasket seal. The arrangement was that the Service consultant would order a new gasket and I would be informed as to when the gasket will become available in order for the vehicle to be booked in.

A year went by without any communication from Porsche SA, anyway I drove very few kms during that year and I monitored the oil leak very closely which although negligible is very concerning .

I booked the vehicle in for its annual service in 2011 and requested the replacement of the gearbox gasket only to be notified by another service consultant that the gasket cannot be replaced being a "sealed gearbox ", instead the entire gearbox has be replaced at an astronomical cost.

I argued that I cannot comprehend how can such a failure take place after 12 years and 54,000 kms on the odometer and bearing in mind that this high end brand vehicle was purchased and serviced in strict accordance with the recommended service intervals by Porsche Centre Johannesburg. I would understand if the vehicle was involved in an accident and somewhat the gearbox was affected, but nothing of that sort !

In conclusion, all points to an inherent latent defect which I am adamant must be remedied by the manufacturer, and I will fight Porsche tooth and nails until I get satisfaction.

- , Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa