2003 Porsche Boxster engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Porsche Boxster:

2003 Porsche Boxster Owner Comments

Sep 072010

1. I purchased this car new. It is my daily driver. Only serviced my Porsche mechanics. It had 32,500 miles at time of failure. After leaving a doctor's appointment, I noticed an unusual sound coming from the engine compartment. Not very load. I thought it had caught a piece of debris in the belt system. Drove it slowly home, and the sound got progressively louder. The next morning there was a puddle of oil under the car. I called the Porsche dealer in mobile, al for a tow truck. 2. I was told by the Porsche service manager that the car had experienced the infamous intermediate shaft (ims) failure, and that I would need a new engine. I was told there is little to no warning of this failure, and they are almost always catastrophic. Requiring complete engine replacement. 3. Porsche North America was contacted with all pertinent information. They responded with an offer to cover half the cost of a factory rebuilt engine. I would pay the other half, plus all labor and towing costs. This replacement will cost me over $11,000 !!!

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA