2014 Ram 1500 suspension problems: air suspension does not work properly

Air Suspension Does Not Work Properly

2014 Ram 1500

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ram dealer.

8.5

$1,630

2. replace air compressor (1 reports)
2014 Ram 1500 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ram 1500:

2014 Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 102019

1500 SLT 3.6L

Early January 2019, 102417 km., warning on dash to service air suspension immediately. Truck periodically lowers to stops and won't raise. Dealer diagnosed as leaking left rear airbag (actually showed me the the leak). The upper portion of the airbag was porous. Also the air compressor had an over temp code from running continually.

The repair bill was $2338 (Can) and the compressor was replaced again under the extra warranty. The extra warranty came from the compressor being replaced already in January 2018. Without that warranty this repair bill would have been $4000 (Can). At the mechanics suggestion, I had both air bags replaced, even though only one was leaking.

Add it up. The air suspension was an $1800 option, January 2018 repair $1627, January 2019 repair $2338, total $5765. If the 2nd replacement compressor hadn't been covered by the extra warranty, add another $1627. That would total almost $7400. A conventional suspension would have cost $0. That hurts.

Now I have a truck that will likely cost thousands more to keep running and if I was to trade it off, it is devalued compared to a standard suspension (who knows how many thousand dollars).

Dodge needs to come up with a solution. They could come up with a conversion to a standard suspension or buy it back. So far they offered me "friend and family" pricing which I understand might amount to a few hundred dollars if I buy a new Dodge.

- Don H., Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Jan 132018

1500 SLT 3.6L

I bought this truck new in March, 2014. During a cold spell in January a warning appeared to service air suspension immediately. The dealer diagnosed the problem as a faulty air compressor. The new air compressor was back ordered for a short time since there was a big demand for them. $1627 dollars repaired problem and gave 2 year warranty. Nice addition to Christmas bills. Thanks Dodge.

Dodge needs to come up with a longer term solution. Maybe they could convert it to a coil spring suspension.

- Don H., Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Dec 132017

1500 Limited 5.7L

Air system fails in cold weather. Ride becomes very rough, driving in ices and snow is less safe. Problem is intermittent as it clears when it warms up, but definitely linked to cold weather. I have also had to replace the air compressor fuse 3 times in 2 years.

- Tim A., Palmer, AK, US

Dec 012017

1500 Laramie 3.0L Ecodiesel

Anyone who lives in the northern climates seems to have this problem with their air suspension, it sags down onto the bumper stops in temps below freezing. The front end may sink down, the back-end, or both. At first, once the vehicle was started, the pump would bring the suspension back up. After a while, the pump would no longer be able to bring it up and by continually running, it would overheat and blow a fuse.

The service manager at our local dealer has a Ram with air suspension and he has the same problem. He told me he "just doesn't drive his truck in the winter." This is not an option for me. He has been very helpful in taking my truck in whenever I call, but they have told me there is nothing more they can do, until Ram comes up with a fix.

I registered a formal complaint with FCA, but they told me to just call if it happens again. This is ridiculous, because the first time it happened, my truck was in the shop for over a month. This winter they have just changed fuses and handed me a couple extra to change myself.

It's so bad that I really have no options left. I was ready to trade when I learned of the EcoDiesel class-action lawsuit. I'll limp through the rest of the winter, get my settlement and sell the truck. I will never buy air suspension for a winter truck again. As to buying another Ram....I have my doubts. Every vehicle has issues, but when the manufacturer will not acknowledge or help you, well, that's unacceptable.

- Matt M., Malone, NY, US

Feb 092015

1500 Limited 5.7L

Hello, same as all the other complaints. In cold weather temps these air suspension do not function. I've had issues every winter- 3 compressors, ascm replacements, fuse replacements in a matter of 4 years, all in sub zero conditions. Coming up on end of warranty, anyone wanna buy a truck?

The air suspension is a defective system, I've submitted concerns to department of transportation, but I guess we need a fatality to have a recall initiated. When you lose your suspension it affects handling and control. In the winter I can make out all the rams that have air suspension-when its failed and running on bump stops, or the front end fails and the back end is way up in the air-looks ridiculous.

I see Ram advertising a newly designed air suspension system for 2019, I would stay away from those too. Fool me once.. shame on you, fool me twice.. shame on me.

HEY RAM/FCA how about fixing the old system? I'm left with a $65000 dollar vehicle that can only be driven in the summer. I will do my part to make sure I expose this defect where ever I can and warn anyone thinking about buying a unit with this system to stay far away.

We should of left them bankrupt.

- Ron H., Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jan 062017

1500 Big Horn Laramie 5.7L

The air suspension has froze up on the following days and I had to either bring to dealer to thaw out, or put it in my buddies shop to warm up.

Jan 2017 - 6th (the night I picked up the truck, only reason I didn't return it for another one is they 'promised' a recall was pending and they would fix it for free until then), 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 29. At this point I had my 'new' truck a total of 5 nights in my first month of owning it.

Feb 2017 - 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 10

Mar 2017 - 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Nov 2017 - 7, 9, 10, 11, 22, 23

Dec 2017 - 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ice fishing was really good up here... or so I was told by all my buddies, my truck was in the shop pretty much all month and I didn't get out very much.

Jan 2018 - 1, 2, 4, 6, 11, 12 then I finally gave up and brought it back to the dealer.

Most, but not all of the times, I had to replace a fuse that costs $5/ each. Now I'm being told my compressor has finally failed and needs to be replaced at a cost of just under $2000, AND IT STILL WON'T FIX THE PROBLEM, IT JUST WON'T HAPPEN AS MUCH!!! When talking to my dealer, I was told there are 30-40 trucks on the lot waiting for the same part and all have the same issues. Was even told not to drive down gravel roads as rocks will puncture the lines and compressor.

I did some research online and got this number to call and complain 800-334-9200, I'll be calling daily until I get a recall on this or they finally get sick of me and buy it back. Everyone at the dealer knows it's an issue, so why sell them where it gets cold, I live in northern MN and we get about 30 days a year where it gets below zero and this truck is not usable.

- Keith V., Moorhead, US

Feb 142018

1500 Larimie LongHorn Limited 5.7L Hemi V8

I have had my truck for almost 4 years and lived in areas where it is cold. This year when the temp drops below -10 the air suspension freezes up and there are messages saying the air suspension system requires immediate service/repair. The front drops and the rear remains raised; which intern causes the tire sensors to go nuts. The 40 amp fuse for the air suspension module was blown and my husband replaced it and reset the module. It worked great until the next day when it was -23. This has happened 2-3 times int he last couple weeks.

I called the Dodge dealership who advised this is a common problem and can be very costly and there is no long term fix only a fix each time it happens. Their recommendation was to put the vehicle somewhere to warm up before driving. WTF! They said this is a common problem and can sometimes blow the compressor pump or require draining of the suspension system, not covered by warranty, to the tune of around $5000. I am still making payments for god sake! I was given the number for FCA to make a complaint.

- carlabc, Will, BC, Canada

Dec 182017

1500 Longhorn 5.7L

Every time the temperature drops much below freezing, the air suspension looses air, only from the left side. Truck sitting uneven. Usually when warm it regains composure, but now won't. Called dealer, they get calls constantly about this. Recall needed,

Update from Jan 18, 2018: Dealer indicated the driver side rear air bag was defective. Over $1000 to repair. Has to be done, and even though I own an auto repair shop, it needs to be dealer installed.

- Brock H., Fredericton, NB, Canada

Jan 242017

1500 Sport V8

5th time in the dealership for air suspension fail. Rear driver side. Mechanics have basically said that the air suspension should never have been sold in northern Canada. Complaint made to Transport Canada's Defect Investigations and Recalls Division as this is a safety issue. We are pursuing having dodge buy back our truck under CAMVAP(Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan) as the issue first occurred when truck was at 30,000km.

The first time it happened, the front end of the truck bottomed out while on the highway driving at night. Headlights would only shine 2-3 feet in front of vehicle. God forbid this happens while towing a trailer.

- Fynnand B., Grande Prairie, AB, Canada

Feb 032017

1500 Sport 5.7L

I started having air suspension issues on December 20, 2016 and it was deemed a compressor failure, fixed under warranty. Ever since the compressor was replaced the rear passenger side would sag after an hour of the vehicle sitting and would not level itself until it was started. As soon as that problem started, I got the "immediate air suspension service required" message and the whole truck sagged to the passenger side. Now 2 front air shocks needed to be ordered, I ended up waiting 55 days for my parts to arrive, luckily for the dealership they gave me a rental and my parts were covered under warranty. But the service advisors at Dodge City need a major attitude adjustment. I ended up having to contact Chrysler Canada and open a case file and gripe to a case manager. Again damn near useless and a waste of my time. Finally my parts came in, I was assured everything was working properly and my truck was ready to go. The passenger rear side still sags intermittently, no service message but it levels itself once started, I use the remote start and watch it! I have been informed without a "code" they cannot diagnose the problem, so here I sit with a truck that looks drunk when its parked. I'm not happy that this truck was sold to me BRAND NEW with dodge KNOWING they had issues with it in this cold climate. There should be a buy back on these trucks so all of us with problems can actually get a truck that isn't riddled with suspension gremlins!!!

- Ryan R., Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Jan 042017

1500 Limited Hemi

I bought my $62K Ram Limited in late January 2014. Mild winter and the truck worked excellent. In December 2014 temperatures hit -30C and my suspension froze up and lost all air in 4 corner shocks. Undrivable due to zero suspension on frozen roads. Dealership fixed under warranty and was fine fro rest of mild winter. December 2015 temperatures hit -30C again and suspension froze again. Almost bounced right off the highway trying to get it into the dealership for repair. Dealer repaired under warranty but informed me these suspension systems should never have been sold in Canada or northern USA where temps can run this cold. January 2015 temps hit -30 C again and again the suspension froze up and collapsed. Dealer repaired under warranty but said he will not be able to keep fixing this for free??????? January 2016 temps hit -30C again as it does every year in this country, suspension froze and collapsed again. I am now at 80k kms so off suspension warranty. I doubt they will fix it again for me but I will try. I have three other friends in town that are having the same issues with their Limited's and one other friend is having the same issue with his 2015 Longhorn edition air suspension. Ram needs to fix this issue or at least admit to it being a problem. The web is full of these same complaints and we are getting extremely angry.

- robertashton, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Nov 102015

1500 Laramie 5.7L

air suspension does not work when temps are below 0 c

The dealer says there is nothing they can do to fix the suspension freeze up problem, that it is a factory problem and that the trucks with air suspension should not have been sold in cold climate places. It makes my 60000 truck un driveable for 6 months out of the year

- Bob C., Gull Lake, SK, Canada