NHTSA — Fuel System, Gasoline: Storage: Tank Assembly: Mounting Problems

2003 Saab 9-3 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Saab 9-3:

2003 Saab 9-3 Owner Comments

Feb 112007

9-3 4-cyl

I would like to report a very dangerous situation that I experienced with my 2003 9-3. after about a 40 mile drive on the freeway, I, along with my wife and daughter, pulled into my friends driveway and heard a loud scrapping noise from beneath my car. I looked underneath the car to find that the right fuel tank strap was hanging down and was only 3 or 4 inches from the ground. The forward bolt had loosened completely out and the fuel pump wiring harness (which attaches to the strap) is keeping it from being even closer to the ground. Also the tank itself is hanging about 3 inches lower on the right side. Luckily the bracket for the harness had a bolt retaining washer because the bolt was still there, hanging on to the end of the flopping strap. My friend (a mechanic by trade) and I applied loctite to the bolt and refastened it. It appered that there was no visable damage to the tank, line or wiring. Scary part was that it was the forward end hanging down so it could have easily caught on something and ripped out fuel lines and wiring and who knows what else and could have easily started a fire resulting in injury or death.

- Anaheim, CA, USA