NHTSA — Seat Belts Problems

2004 Saab 9-3 (Page 2 of 4)

1.9

2004 Saab 9-3 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Saab 9-3:

2004 Saab 9-3 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Nov 132013

9-3 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact stated that the driver's side seat belt webbing failed to retract whenever it was engaged. The contact mentioned that NHTSA recall campaign number 10V043000 (seat belts) was associated with the failure. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 83,000....updated 03-12-14 the consumer paid for the repairs out of pocket. Updated 03/20/14

- Southbury, CT, USA

Oct 232013

9-3 4-cyl

I drive a 2004 9-3 arc convertible. I pulled the driver side seatbelt to clip in and the retractor failed to retract. The driver side seat belt is now non-functional as it is completely extended. This is the same problem described in NHTSA recall campaign#10V043000 for Saab 9-3 2004 sedans. The dealership said that it only covers sedans and not convertibles, however this is the exact same problem.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jul 012012

9-3

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact stated the driver's side seat belt webbing failed to retract whenever it was engaged. NHTSA recall campaign number 10V043000 (seat belts) was associated with the failure. The manufacturer was notified and stated the VIN was not included in the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Nov 042013

9-3

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact stated whenever engaging the front driver's seat belt the webbing failed to retract. NHTSA recall campaign number 10V043000 (seat belt) was associated with the failure; however, the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Oct 102013

9-3

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact stated the front driver's side seat belt retractor became fractured. There were two recalls under NHTSA campaign number: 10V043000 (seat belts) and NHTSA campaign number: 04V226000 (seat belts) that could have been related to the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and stated the contact's VIN was not included in either recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- York, SC, USA

Aug 312013

9-3

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact stated that the front driver's side seat belt webbing failed to retract. There were two recalls associated with the failure under NHTSA campaign id numbers 10V043000 (seat belts) and 04V226000 (seat belts) however, the VIN was not included in either recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Sep 302013

9-3 4-cyl

I got into my car and the drivers side seat belt would not go tight and kept coming out until it is now all the way out. I called Saab usa about a recall I found for 2004 Saab seat belts. I was told that is only for sedans and did not cover my car since it's not a sedan. This makes no sense and of course is very dangerous. I will be following up with the local dealer, Saab usa and NHTSA as this is clearly a major safety issue.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

May 052013

9-3 4-cyl

I was getting out of my driver side seat belt and it unwound all the way out and now will not retract at all. I found on line that there was a recall for this exact thing on my year and make of car but my VIN# seems to not be included. Recall #42582- seat belts: Front retractor. This is a $550 dealer service charge and I can not afford to fix this myself. How could this be" exact problem exact year make and model?"

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jan 012013

9-3

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact stated that the front driver's side seat belt became detached and would not secure around the contact. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 10V043000 (seat belts). The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Middle Village , NY, USA

Jun 012013

9-3 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact stated that the front driver's side seat belt would not retract. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that there was a recall for the failure under NHTSA campaign number: 10V043000 (seat belts). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Hamden, CT, USA

May 272013

9-3 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact stated that after entering the vehicle, the driver's side seat belt failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but they were unable to duplicate the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Anneover, MA, USA

May 152013

9-3 4-cyl

I got in the car to leave for work and when I put my seat belt on it came completely out and now won't retract. I found out there is a GM recall for this issue but all the GM service centers near me refuse to work on Saab vehicles. The nearest Saab service center I can find is approximately 110 miles from my home and I don't feel safe driving that distance with a malfunctioning seat belt.

- Coeburn, VA, USA

Feb 132013

9-3 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3 convertible aero. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the driver's seat belt retractor failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was advised that the driver's side retractor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V043000 (seat belts). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000 and the current mileage was 138,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 242012

9-3 4-cyl

I was stopped at a stop sign and when I attempted to adjust my seatbelt there was a popping sound and all the tension in the belt released. It will no longer retract and remains fully extended.

- Fort Collins , CO, USA

Nov 062012

9-3

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact stated that the driver side seat belt would not retract. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the seat belt assembly needed to be replaced. Also, the mechanic made her aware that the vehicle might be included in NHTSA campaign id number: 10V043000 (seat belts:front:retractor). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 105,000 and the current mileage was 105,100.

- Kingston, NY, USA

Oct 012012

9-3

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3 convertible. The contact stated that while attempting to utilize the driver's seat belt, the seat belt retracted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised that the retractor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised the contact that his vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 10V043000 (seat belts:front:retractor). The failure and current mileages were approximately 60,000.

- Woodberry Heights , NJ, USA

Jun 302012

9-3 4-cyl

I have not had any prior problems with any of hte seat belts on my 2004 93 arc convertible. I was driving my car as usual on Saturday, June 30, 2012 and when I came to a stop, I released my seat belt after my car was in park and I was preparing to exit the vehicle. Instead of it retracting there was a strange noise and the entire belt came unspooled. I tried to give it a little tug to rewind it, but it continued to unspool and would not retract. This was the first time that there was any problem at all with the drivers side seat belt. When I arrived at home I looked on line to see if there was any information on how to remedy this problem and after googling Saab seatbelt 2 recalls immediately came up on 2004 9-3 arc models; NHTSA campaign id number: 10V043000 & NHTSA campaign id number: 04V226000 listing (General Motors is recalling certain model year 2004 Saab 9-3 sedans. Some of these vehicles were produced with front seat belt retractors that, over time, could fail to retract.) I contacted the falls church, va Saab dealership closest to me and was told that my car was not a sedan and therefore was not a part of either recall, but it has the same problem and description as what happened to the cars who's seat belt retractors were recalled. I was told that if I bring it in to the dealership and pay their miminum amount they would let me know how much it would be to replace my defective part. I am not understanding how the same year, same models, with the same problems are not recalled because they are convertible, but the sedans are. Clearly there may be a different set up with the seat belt configuration but the retractor part should be similar if not the same regardless of the rest. I would like to understand why my car is not covered by the recall that is still in effect. Thank you.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jun 012012

9-3

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact stated that the retractor for the front driver side seat belt failed and would not retract. The contact referenced two recalls associated with the failure under NHTSA campaign id numbers:04V226000 and 10V043000 (seat belts:front:retractor). The manufacturer was made aware of the issue however, the VIN was not included in either of the recall campaigns. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 72,912. The failure mileage was 72,500.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jun 232012

9-3

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3 convertible. The contact stated that the front passenger seat belt would not retract. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 10V043000 (seat belts:front:retractor). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Woodbridge , VA, USA

Mar 152012

9-3

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 93 convertible. The contact stated that the driver attempted to secure the front driver side seat belt, but the seat belt would not retract into the pretensioner. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the recalls associated with NHTSA campaign id numbers 10V043000 (seat belts:front:retractor) or 04V226000 (seat belts:front:retractor). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Pal Beach Gardens, FL, USA