NHTSA — Seat Belts Problems

2004 Saab 9-3 (Page 3 of 3)

2004 Saab 9-3 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Saab 9-3:

2004 Saab 9-3 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Oct 212011

9-3 4-cyl

Put my seat belt on and it would not retract. Drivers side only.

- Bradford, VT, USA

Oct 192011

The drivers side seat belt retractor needs to be replaced as it no longer functions.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 042011

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9- 3 convertible. The contact stated that the driver side front seat belt failed to retract back in place. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the dealer confirmed that the seat belt retractor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised that the VIN did not qualify for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V043000 (seat belts:front:retractor). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 52,321.

- East Northport, NY, USA

Jul 152007

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact attempted to secure the seat belt but the seat belt would not retract. The contact had previously noticed that the seat belt was slow when retracting before the failure. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostics or repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised that there was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V043000 (seat belts:front:retractor) but the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Reading, MA, USA

Jul 282011

9-3 4-cyl

My Saab convertible only has 59000 miles on it and my seat belt system does not work. Saab and its dealerships refuse to fix the problem because they claim it is out of warranty and only selected vins were covered for recalls-even though the part is the same (defective seat belt retractor). As I understand, by federal law, they are required to cover the repairs of the seat belt system for ten years despite their crappy vehicle warranty. My mechanic says he has had the same situation with other customers. I need some help!

- Melbourne Beach, FL, USA

Jul 142011

When attempting to put on seat belt, the retractor failed and the seat belt is extended to it's largest capacity and will not retract. This happened when the car was not moving. I took the car to be repaired at a repair shop for swedish cars and was told that fixing it was not covered under the current recall for the driver's side seat belt retractor. I was told that recall applied to only sedans. I was quoted a cost of over $800 to fix the part. From what I understand, this is a common occurrence in the 2004 Saab. I was also told that it was not covered under warranty.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jul 062011

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. while the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed the drivers side seat belt would not retract after had been extended. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Jun 062011

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3 aero. The contact stated that while attempting to fasten the driver side seat belt, the seat belt retractor failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer inspected the vehicle and advised that the seat belt assembly would need to be replaced. The dealer replaced the driver side seat belt assembly. The manufacturer would not assist with the repair because the vehicle warranty was expired. The failure and the current mileage was 109,000. The VIN was not available.

- Carrollton , GA, USA

Mar 252011

9-3 4-cyl

I have a 2004 Saab 9-3; the driver side front seatbelt retractor was replaced under recall, but I believe that the retractors for the remaining three outer seatbelts do not function well, even though they technically receive less use than the driver's. I have to help take up the slack in the belts to make sure they are snug for backseat passengers (in booster seats), much as I had to do with the driver's seatbelt before the recall.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Dec 222010

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. the contact stated that the driver side seat belt would no longer retract. The contact called the manufacturer regarding the failure and the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 04V226000 (seat belts:front:retractor) but was advised that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The manufacturer offered to assist with partial repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact believed that the manufacturer should be liable for the failure due to the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jul 252010

The drivers side seat belt fails to retract on my 2004 Saab 9-3. the seat belt is useless. There is a recall for this exact problem but my VIN# is not covered!

- Redmond, WA, USA

Jul 152010

Drivers side seat belt failed on my 2004 Saab 9-3 convertible. This happened at about 43,000 miles. Seat belt will not retract and no longer usable. I contacted Saab and my VIN was not included in the recall.

- Fortville, IN, USA

Mar 182010

The seat belt retractor on my 2004 Saab 9-3 failed. Saab issued a recall for some failed seat belt retractors in 2004 9-3S, but not for the full model year. My car was not included. It seems that they have not been sufficiently comprehensive in their recall.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Feb 182004

The driver side seat belt retractor broke. The seat belt completely unwound. Also the passenger side retractor is very slow to retract.

- Commercial Point, OH, USA

Jan 142010

The seat belt on my Saab 9.3 - 2004 stopped working for no reason. I found on the internet that the item had been recalled but Saab refuses to acknowledge the recall. NHTSA number 04V226000.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Nov 052004

I own a 2004 Saab 9-3 sedan. A few days I experienced the same problem with the front seatbelt retractor as described in this report : PE09048. I called Saab in reference to recall #5938 for some 2004 models, but they claim that my car was not part of that recall.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 012009

As I was putting on my seatbelt I heard a snap and an unrolling sound in the door of the car and the seatbelt lost tension. The seatbelt would not regain tension. I took the car to the dealer and they said that the retractor had broken. There is a recall on 2004 Saab 93 seatbelt retractors, but they said that my car was not part of the recall and therefore I am responsible for the repair ($455). They did not have the part in stock to fix it so they sent me home, without offering a rental car even though I expressed my concern that I was lacking a critical safety feature of my car.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Aug 182009

On, 8/18/2009 as I was driving I heard something snap in the driver's side B-pillar trim at this same moment my seatbelt went completely loose. It will no longer retract, the belt pulls out freely with no resistance and is now completely out and will not retract. In the event of an evasive maneuver/crash I (the driver) will not be held into the seat properly and risk being ejected from the vehicle. There is currently a recall in the 03/04 Saab 9-3's for the front seatbelt retractors. I have contacted Saab usa; they will not replace the retractor because my VIN falls right outside of the covered recalled cars. I believe that my car is suffering from the recalled item, and that the recall should be extended to include a larger VIN range.

- Wooster, OH, USA

Apr 082009

My driver side seat belt webbing will no longer retract. This occurred this morning during my normal commute to work this morning, at which time there was a sudden breaking sound from behind the molding.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Mar 062009

The contact owns a 2004 Saab 9-3. when the contact attempted to buckle her front seat belt, she noticed that the retractor failed. This prevented the belt webbing from retracting. The dealer stated that her VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign id number 04V226000 (seat belts:front:retractor). It would cost approximately $497 to replace the seat belt retractor assembly. The contact is in the process of having the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer did not assist. The failure and current mileages were 47,000.

- Wenohah, NJ, USA