NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

5.9

2008 Saab 9-5 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saab 9-5:

2008 Saab 9-5 Owner Comments

Feb 032016

9-5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Saab 9-5. the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V063000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Boston, MA, USA

May 042016

9-5

I have been waiting for long time for an air bag replacement from General Motors where I purchased my car.

- Englewood, FL, USA

May 042016

9-5

Takata recall - we received a recall notice in May. We live in SC. The nearest Saab dealer to us is in jacksonville, fl. We've called several times and they don't have the parts nor any information as to when they will get them. Saab customer service has no info either. What is the holdup? we have a family member in upstate NY who is gravelly ill and need to travel up there.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Mar 102016

9-5

Takata recall. When do I get my airbags replaced? I heard from GM in March but this is the end of August!!

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Aug 122016

9-5

The contact owns a 2008 Saab 9-5. the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V063000 (air bags); however, the part for the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Summit Hill, PA, USA

Feb 032016

9-5

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Saab 9-5. the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V063000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- West Warwick, RI, USA

May 232016

9-5

Takata recall- I received a letter from GM in the mail in May 2016 regarding a recall for my airbag. I called the number they had referenced twice to find out about using a rental vehicle while waiting for the part. I was told that GM was not providing rental cars for those consumers who were effected. Seems odd to me that they send a letter stating they are concerned about my safety and that the inflator could rupture resulting in injury or death, yet do not offer a solution. This is not acceptable. Other car manufacturers have offered their customers a rental vehicle. Why not GM? I was told it was my decision if I wanted to continue driving my vehicle. Obviously I need to drive if I want to continue my job! there was no timeframe as to when the part would be available, so I guess I just have to cross my fingers every time I get in my car and hope that nothing happens.

- Utica, NY, USA

Apr 062011

9-5

The contact owns a 2008 Saab 9-5. the contact stated that when he would removed the key out of the ignition, the vehicle would not turn off. The dealer was contacted and the technician diagnosed that the ignition switch was defective and needed to be replaced. In addition, the air bag warning lamp illuminated sporadically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnosed the failure for the air bag warning lamp. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired for the ignition switch. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 52,000.

- Ferndale, MI, USA

Jan 242008

9-5

I have a 2008 9-5 Saab and the passenger airbag turns itself on and off while someone is sitting in the seat and the car is moving. The sensor is supposed to be set to turn airbag on for 90 lbs but my wife and kids weigh about 120 lbs and the only way to keep the airbag sensor on is to pull yourself down in the seat and hold on. I have notified Saab about this issue and they cannot fix nor do they seem willing to try. My wife sat in other 2008 9-5"S and had the same problem at the dealerships and they witnessed the problem so it is not just our car. I hope someone at Saab/GM will take this up and get it fixed before someone is killed or hurt due to faulty airbags on all 2008 9-5 models! the problem is that the sensor is located such that the weight of the person sitting in the seat is distributed away from the sensor and the ?repair" noted in their manual does not work. They do not have this problem in their other line of cars as they have different sensors. The local dealership notified me that they know GM also has this problem in their line of vehicles with the same sensor/seat probe. I hope by getting this information out to the public, no one will be hurt or killed in a crash involving a 2008 9-5 Saab when the airbag does not deploy because the person is less than 140 lbs and sitting in the front passenger seat.

- Concord, NC, USA