Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Saturn Aura was a mid-size car meant to replace the somewhat problematic L-Series. Unfortunately, the Aura brought its own problems: namely cheap brake parts that needed early replacement and a gear shifter that could say it’s in park while the transmission was still engaged.

Brake problems, including uneven wear and warped rotors that cause the car to wobble, are common complaints from 2007 owners. Did GM use metal for its rotors that can’t stand the heat? That’s what some say, and it’s hard to argue when reports show that rotors could start to warp as early as 500 miles off the dealer lot.

Meanwhile, a busted gear shifter cable lead to some unwanted rollaways. That’s because the shifter could say “Park” while the transmission was still in drive, reverse or neutral. A defect investigation into the issue was opened in 2011, eventually leading to a recall of 56,000 vehicles in 2014.

2007 Saturn Aura accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Aura:

2007 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 012011

Aura 6-cyl

One of the structural welds in the driver seat frame has broken loose while driving. I called Saturn customer service and explained the issue. They set up an appt with my local dealer to have it looked at. The dealership agreed with me that it was a defective component and in their exact words (nothing you (the owner) could have done, would have caused the weld to break) my GM district specialist worked with her manager, the manager's final decision was that only half the costs ($400 of the $800 total) would be covered since the car is out of warranty. I asked to speak to the manager about the issue and was advised that the manager will not take calls from customers. I offered to provide pictures of the break and was advised that they cannot receive email from customers. The pictures I have taken clearly detail the component was welded incorrectly and the dealership confirmed this. This is a structural weld in the frame of the seat that should not break regardless of the vehicles age.

- Lionthicum Heights, MD, USA

Dec 142010

Aura 6-cyl

On 14th Dec 2010, while driving my 2007 Saturn Aura in town I heard a loud crack and the rear left side of my drivers seat dropped. I had to slow down as my foot left the gas pedal, awkward position and dangerous because if I was out on the highway, I could have lost control. I drove to the nearest Chevy dealer as Saturn is now closed. The dealer advised that the frame of the seat broke. I was told I would need to purchase a new frame at a cost of $1200. I refuse to pay this for a leased vehicle. The vehicle has just over 43500 miles on it. I have now parked the car and will not drive it as it is not safe. If I had been in an accident, the seat failure could cause serious injury or death as it is an integral part of a vehicle's safety systems. I am waiting on GM area rep to get back to me as to whether or not they will cover the cost. This is not a wear and tear item, that I do not mind paying for. My wife at 105 lbs drives the car 90% of the time. This vehicle was leased in Canada, I am Canadian, however car was built in U.S.a. and I see others on the NHTSA site have complained about same issue. Transport Canada has also been advised.

- Cobourg Ontario Canada, 00, USA

Sep 182010

Aura 6-cyl

• 30,000 miles event. My wife and I were running errands one day and we heard a loud crack. We didn't know what it was. 2. the driver seat was loose on the left side and I could move the rear left of the seat back quite easily. Upon further investigation I found the back left mounting of the seat bottom to be broken. I could lift the seat up quite easily. The right side of the seat was still secure. 3. the entire seat had to be replaced. Cost of the replacement was about $850.

- Middleton, WI, USA

Oct 212010

Aura 6-cyl

The driver's seat has broken. It may be similar to a problem previously reported with another vehicle. I have not yet taken the vehicle in for repair, but it's evident the seat frame has detached in the right rear part of the unit. When powering the seat bottom up, only one side of the seat would move. I recently tried to raise the seat because the back felt too low and there was a "bang" and I could feel the power mechanism pushing through the upholstery...obviously no longer connected to the frame.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Feb 182010

The left rear mounting bracket on the driver's seat weld broke. This is part of the seat and is welded to a bar inside the rear part of the seat. This and the other three seat brackets then ride inside the movement gudes. With this bracket broken off the seat, the seat is held in place by only the three remaining brackets. The left rear of the driver's seat floats.

- Concord, NC, USA

Mar 012007

2007 Saturn Aura xr customer has concerns about the front passenger seat and believes that defect can cause death* when the seat was occupied by an adult, if frequently indicated an empty seat. When the sensor indicated occupancy, it would switch to unoccupied after driving a mile.

- Tucson, AZ, USA