NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

2007 Saturn Aura (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The Saturn Aura was a mid-size car meant to replace the somewhat problematic L-Series. Unfortunately, the Aura brought its own problems: namely cheap brake parts that needed early replacement and a gear shifter that could say it’s in park while the transmission was still engaged.

Brake problems, including uneven wear and warped rotors that cause the car to wobble, are common complaints from 2007 owners. Did GM use metal for its rotors that can’t stand the heat? That’s what some say, and it’s hard to argue when reports show that rotors could start to warp as early as 500 miles off the dealer lot.

Meanwhile, a busted gear shifter cable lead to some unwanted rollaways. That’s because the shifter could say “Park” while the transmission was still in drive, reverse or neutral. A defect investigation into the issue was opened in 2011, eventually leading to a recall of 56,000 vehicles in 2014.

2007 Saturn Aura brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Aura:

2007 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 302016

Aura 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. While driving approximately 45 mph and turning into a parking lot, the contact was informed by another motorist that the brake lights were illuminated for approximately three miles. However, when the vehicle was stopped and the brake pedal was depressed, the brake lights were not illuminated. The contact drove the vehicle to the dealer and they could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was repaired per an unknown recall for the same failure in September of 2014. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 77,054. Updated 08/30/16 the consumer went to another dealer, where the problem was fixed. Updated 10/26/16.

- Hartland, MI, USA

May 142016

Aura

Takata recall the ECM light was on the brake lights stay on when car is on and when applying the brakes the brake lights go out. It his difficult to move the shifter from park to another gear. I have this car for 2 years and every time I check there is no recall on my car. The air bag light on passenger side comes and goes all the time.

- Spout Spring, VA, USA

Jan 022014

Aura

Hard steering sometime very diffuclt to make turns without force. Taken car to dealership traction control light on continuously, seat belt light on passenger side lights up and stays on. While car is moving.. dealer has no salution for problem.

- West Hills, CA, USA

Oct 122015

Aura

For the past year when I turn on my vehicle & start driving the service airbag lights up & starts dinging. In October 2015 I was involved in a collision on interstate 60 & my airbags never deployed when impact accrued going approximately 55ml an hr & my front bumper had to be replaced & drivers side wheel locked up making car not driveable impact was on passenger front & side of car & my airbags never deployed & light continues to read service airbag I went to Chevrolet 1yr ago & told them they said my car had a recall only for the brake lights & that's all that fixed. The oil engine light comes on once & awhile even when my oil has been changed but not as of her as the service airbag light yet my car shows its not included in the airbag recall so I don't understand what's going on & no one els has answers either except to take it to dealership but when I did nothing was done it even looked at when comes to my airbag & again airbags never deployed when I was involved in a collision on interstate 60 in Oct 2015. Also my drivers side seat when ajusting the seat continues to go out & takes a day or two on continually playing with ajusters on side of seat to get it to work to push seat back or forward if I allow one of my kids to use car to run to store.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Dec 222015

Aura

This car has been a bust since the warranty expired. The transmission went out a year ago and was of course a recall for many other Auras except our specific one. Had that replaced, now its the timing chain, which is also a common complaint of the Aura yet there is no recall. The car misfires, shakes violently when in idle and when driving. It has a very hard shift. Its very hard to accelerate and the rpms shoot up. It also stalls and it sometimes just shuts off. Every light in the vehicle is on, check engine, stabilty, etc. It another expensive repair thats worth more than half the car.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Sep 042015

Aura

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the vehicle veered to the left independently as the service stability traction control warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was not available.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 212015

Aura

The car constantly jerks and shakes... it wont go past past 40 mph without...the vehicle shaking. The vehicle cant get enough power..burns gas like crazy. The GM dealership wont do anything about it....

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Sep 012014

Aura

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that the exterior brake lights illuminated when the brake pedal was not depressed and the exterior brake lights failed to illuminate when the brake pedal was depressed. The contact stated that the electronic stability and traction control were disabled and the cruise control disengaged intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the body control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,700...updated 10/19/15

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Feb 062015

Aura

I own a 2007 Saturn Aura xr I bought in 2008. It has 69,600 miles and the service engine light is illuminated. I was told I needed a timing chain replacement for $2400 because it had stretched. I have since found out that GM has a special coverage adjustment #11340C on the 2007 Saturn outlook and numerous other vehicles, for the same issue. My engine code is LY7, same as the outlook and other vehicles. Additionally I've already had 1 recall on this vehicle for a brake light issue, just got a notice of a transmission issue, and I'm on my third set of complete brakes in just 69,600 miles and I need all new brakes again. Rotors are warped after10 to 15,000 miles! also the "service traction" light keeps illuminating periodically for no apparent reason. I'm getting no answers or help from GM or it's dealers.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Mar 042015

Aura

As I am driving all of a sudden the car cuts and reduced engine power comes on and traction service and then it won't go above 25 mph but starts at 5 mph and slowly goes up and shakes I have gone to GM dealer and other auto shops and they can't find the problem it's dangerous because it could lead to a re ending with my daughter in back and cause a crash. I have seen more people with this problem and they need to figure it out because someone could get hurt.

- Lino Lakes , MN, USA

Jan 012015

Aura 6-cyl

Driving at 60mph..suddenly service traction control, engine powered down and check engine light came on I pulled car over.shut it off, all codes but all codes but the engine light were cleared. Later on when I started it up again check engine light cleared. When this happened one week earlier, the mechanic cleaned the throttle body and put a new air filter in..$150.reading about others having the same problem, it must be a defect in the computer system..car is running fine..I recently spent $3000 replacing struts, bushings, brakes, alignment, oil change sway bar links, etc etc.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Sep 222014

Aura

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Wewahitchka, FL, USA

Apr 252014

Aura 6-cyl

I've had my 2007 Aura since March 2013, never had issues until a year later in April 2014. I noticed when I got out of my car that my back break lights were still on, when I got in to start it up, I put the car into drive out of park and it jumped-no lurched forward so hard it felt as if I had been hit from the back. I had to slam my foot on the break to keep from running into the car parked in front of me! than comes July 2014 I receive a notice that my Aura is part of a recall #13036 which relates to the (BCM)-body control module, the (bas)-break apply sensor and the (ecs)-electronic stability control. All in which affects the issues I'm having at this very moment. Now as of a week ago (Aug 2014) my check engine light is on and my auto start is no longer working! I've called Saturn about me not feeling safe in my vehicle and what is the status on the parts coming in and all I'm told is that there is no set time when that will be. On top of that I'm told I may have to pay out of pocket for a diagnostic test and or repairs to my car to find out what is going on! I am a very dissatisfied customer. I just want my car fixed asap!!!! these are serious and can be dangerous issues!! this is my only vehicle and I must take myself and my child back and forth each and everyday.

- Bedford Heights, OH, USA

Jul 132014

Aura 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Saturn Aura. I'm currently experiencing the issue associated with NHTSA campaign number 14V252000 (recall # 13036). Additional to this issue, I'm complaining that this issue could be associated with draining my car battery. Since this issue I have replaced three (3) brand new batteries. I had my alternator checked twice and both test results diagnosis was passed. Which means that my alternator is good and didn't need to be replaced. Each time I have my battery replaced with a brand new battery the life span of the battery is about 3 weeks. After that the battery is dead. If I don't replace the battery and get a jump start the life span of the battery last about 7-10 days before I will need another jump start. Today, August 9, 2014 I again had my battery and alternator diagnosed and both passed the test. I was told by a certified GM mechanic that my issue could be related to electrical system that is draining (killing) my battery because there is nothing wrong with the battery and the alternator. Could this issue (14V252) be the reason my I'm experiencing my battery to died/drain because of my car is affected by electrical system and electronic stability control issues? the consumer stated the shifting cable was replaced twice and the transmission needed to be replaced. Updated 2/24/2015

- Union City, GA, USA

Jul 072014

Aura 6-cyl

Received 2 recall notices, recall # 14152; and recall # 13036. Recall# 14152, has been replaced I'm assuming. My concern is that my vehicle accelerates at an higher speed than what I'm driving, the RPM dial shoots up to 5 or 6 on the RPM dial then gradually go down to 1. when I am at an complete stop, my vehicle is slow about accelerating, which can be scary because people behind me are driving faster than I'm moving, then all of a sudden my vehicle accelerates at a higher speed than I'm driving. I pray that this recall will resolve this issue I am an 65 year old lady, with 2 grandchildren that I take on different events. I'm concerned about an potential safety default in my vehicle could cause an fatal accident to myself or someone else especially my grandchildren. This letter is notice to you of my concern driving this vehicle. I can't purchase another car I'm on an fixed income. Thank you. Oh by the way recall #13036 is not in stock yet, I'm waiting for part to come in.I pray it will come in before my car breakdown permanently.

- Gurnee, IL, USA

Jun 032014

Aura 6-cyl

While driving I got an engine light, then a service ESC then a service traction. I contacted onstar for a diagnostic (after I returned home). I then had it towed to a garage where the mechanic informed me that after replacing a sensor the problem still existed and was due to a stretched timing chain. He then said he thought there might have been a recall concerning this issue. I have had issues prior to this and got no satisfaction from the dealer service center in santa rosa ca. I even filed a complaint with Saturn.

- Point Arena, CA, USA

Sep 262012

Aura 6-cyl

The 1st incident started around 9/26/12 when the ESC light came on and the brake lights stopped working unless I pressed extremely hard on the brakes. Doc id was #08-05-22-009C 2nd incident was 10/25/13 (esx light on) with similar issue as 1st incident except this time the brakes lights would be on while I was driving and go off when I was braking (extremely dangerous). They replaced the brake pedal position switch and cleared the codes. That lasted 5 days. 3rd incident was on 10/30/13. Esx light on again. Brake lights malfunctioning as before. Tsb 08-05-22-009C.

- Manheim, PA, USA

Jul 042013

Aura

My car was working fine after parking for 10 minutes I came back to start my car and it wouldn't start I called my mechanic and he told me that the wire for shifting of the gears was damaged the carb wouldn't go into park and would roll on its own.

- Lodi, NJ, USA

Apr 012013

Aura 6-cyl

I have had problems with this car since shortly after purchase, most of which have never been repaired even after several attempts by dealership, passenger airbag turns off even with passenger in seat, heated seats come on by themselves, I gave up on repair of those long ago, but they are minor compared other problems I any several other owners of this car as you can read at edmunds.com consumer discussions, this cannot be coincidence, traction control, water pumps, clunking in the steering column and most recently check engine light issues, which in the process of more than one mechanic/dealership trying to figure out what is wrong with this car I have paid for what I would call unnecessary repairs, finally my local dealership tells me GM has told them the timing chain is stretched, I'm assuming GM knows this because they have other vehicles some 2007 models with a timing chain recall/issues, according to a local mechanic timing chains do not need regular maint. And should last much longer than my 68000 miles, I now need a 3500$$ repair although my local dealership "sympathizes" with me they feel "things just are not made they way they used to be." Just thought I'd join the many others who feel a complaint needed to be filed with GM regarding this vehicle!!!

- Harvey, LA, USA

Oct 202009

Aura 6-cyl

Rear brake lights came on without pressing the brake pedal & stayed on. When the brake pedal is applied all the rear brake lights go out as long as pressure is applied. When brake pedal pressure is released the brake lights come back on. When this problem is happening the speed control, stability control and traction control also stop working. Dealer replaced module 2.560 part # 25861370. This same problem happen again at 48,300 miles on 9/7/12 and I had dealer repair again but this time the repair was not covered by warranty.

- Clarklake, MI, USA