NHTSA — Engine Problems

2007 Saturn Aura (Page 2 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The Saturn Aura was a mid-size car meant to replace the somewhat problematic L-Series. Unfortunately, the Aura brought its own problems: namely cheap brake parts that needed early replacement and a gear shifter that could say it’s in park while the transmission was still engaged.

Brake problems, including uneven wear and warped rotors that cause the car to wobble, are common complaints from 2007 owners. Did GM use metal for its rotors that can’t stand the heat? That’s what some say, and it’s hard to argue when reports show that rotors could start to warp as early as 500 miles off the dealer lot.

Meanwhile, a busted gear shifter cable lead to some unwanted rollaways. That’s because the shifter could say “Park” while the transmission was still in drive, reverse or neutral. A defect investigation into the issue was opened in 2011, eventually leading to a recall of 56,000 vehicles in 2014.

2007 Saturn Aura engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Aura:

2007 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 062015

Aura

I own a 2007 Saturn Aura xr I bought in 2008. It has 69,600 miles and the service engine light is illuminated. I was told I needed a timing chain replacement for $2400 because it had stretched. I have since found out that GM has a special coverage adjustment #11340C on the 2007 Saturn outlook and numerous other vehicles, for the same issue. My engine code is LY7, same as the outlook and other vehicles. Additionally I've already had 1 recall on this vehicle for a brake light issue, just got a notice of a transmission issue, and I'm on my third set of complete brakes in just 69,600 miles and I need all new brakes again. Rotors are warped after10 to 15,000 miles! also the "service traction" light keeps illuminating periodically for no apparent reason. I'm getting no answers or help from GM or it's dealers.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Oct 302013

Aura 6-cyl

The vehicle's engine shuts off while in the "on" position and moving. The electrical stays on, just no engine power and no warning lights. Worst of all, can not recreate the problem. It can happen a couple of times in a week or it can go months before it happens again. Went to two different mechanics & neither one can re-create the problem. You lose the engine, power brakes, & power steering and the car is still coasting along. Like trying to a fly a plane with no propeller. Since the car is coming into or going out of a "stop" position, you can be traveling through an intersection after coming from a "stop" lose the engine, & now you are stuck in the intersection. Action is to roll to a stop without getting hit. Put the car in "park". turn the switch to the "off" position even though the engine is already off & restart. Approximately 10 times (+) this has happened since Oct. '13. The car isn't on the GM recall so they won't look at it. They want a mechanic to find the problem, but a mechanic can't recreate the problem. The dealership doesn't want anything to do with it. I believe this is the 2nd time I have filed this complaint, it has happened more since the 1st time. This is a GM Saturn Aura. The ignition recall is only for Saturn ion. I have no idea what to do. All I want is a safe vehicle. Until today's event, is the car wants to stall/shut off before it does. So you get a warning that the car will shut off. Helps prepare for the inevitable stall + gives me a chance to record the stall. I have at least two videos of it occurring. The norm has been, coming into or out of a "stop" position: 1) wants to shut off but doesn't, 2) very shortly thereafter at a "stop" position - the engine will shut off, and 3) restart the car, 4) (not always) shuts off again at another "stop" very shortly thereafter, and 5) not happen again for some random period of time.

- Oxford, CT, USA

Mar 042015

Aura

As I am driving all of a sudden the car cuts and reduced engine power comes on and traction service and then it won't go above 25 mph but starts at 5 mph and slowly goes up and shakes I have gone to GM dealer and other auto shops and they can't find the problem it's dangerous because it could lead to a re ending with my daughter in back and cause a crash. I have seen more people with this problem and they need to figure it out because someone could get hurt.

- Lino Lakes , MN, USA

Nov 212014

Aura 6-cyl

Engine light came on and then went off the same day. Engine light came on again a few weeks later. Took it for service, said it might be because an oil change was needed but if light came on again it was likely the timing chain and I should take it to the dealer. Light was on immediately after service and the service traction light came on at the same time (this was the first time that light came on). Took it to dealer and they confirmed it is the timing chain. Going to cost about $2700 and 2-3 days to fix. Not sure why this model wasn't recalled when the 2007 Saturn outlook was recalled for the exact same part.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Jun 162012

Aura

My car engine would not stop running or turn-off at all with a key, without a key driver not able to stop the car at all.

- Cedar Knolls, NJ, USA

May 052014

Aura

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that the check engine and traction warning lights illuminated. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). However, the part needed was unavailable. The contact stated the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Oct 312013

Aura 6-cyl

The coolant crossover pipe started leaking serious antifreeze. I had it repaired in November of 2013 just to have it start leaking again a few months later. I need to have it repaired again but mechanic told me it was possible a flaw in the metal design from the manufacture not allowing the pipe to seal properly. I have contacted Saturn twice, once last year and then again a few weeks ago and they won't admit fault. I have done some research on this and it was a serious problem with the GM 3.5 motors on Buick, Chevy, Pontiac and others to numerous to list. They were aware of this problem and only put out a service bulletin. My most recent estimated is $1110 and last year I paid 430. This needs to be stopped from GM getting away with this.

- Windsor, WI, USA

Oct 312013

- Windsor, WI, USA

Mar 012014

Aura

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. While driving various speeds, the vehicle vibrated violently and the service check engine indicator illuminated. The failure recurred periodically. The dealer stated that the power train, crank shaft, and drive axle transfer case needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Richmond, CA, USA

Apr 252014

Aura 6-cyl

I've had my 2007 Aura since March 2013, never had issues until a year later in April 2014. I noticed when I got out of my car that my back break lights were still on, when I got in to start it up, I put the car into drive out of park and it jumped-no lurched forward so hard it felt as if I had been hit from the back. I had to slam my foot on the break to keep from running into the car parked in front of me! than comes July 2014 I receive a notice that my Aura is part of a recall #13036 which relates to the (BCM)-body control module, the (bas)-break apply sensor and the (ecs)-electronic stability control. All in which affects the issues I'm having at this very moment. Now as of a week ago (Aug 2014) my check engine light is on and my auto start is no longer working! I've called Saturn about me not feeling safe in my vehicle and what is the status on the parts coming in and all I'm told is that there is no set time when that will be. On top of that I'm told I may have to pay out of pocket for a diagnostic test and or repairs to my car to find out what is going on! I am a very dissatisfied customer. I just want my car fixed asap!!!! these are serious and can be dangerous issues!! this is my only vehicle and I must take myself and my child back and forth each and everyday.

- Bedford Heights, OH, USA

Aug 072014

Aura 6-cyl

Car ran fine this morning on the way to work, which is not even 2 miles from my home.went to work and straight back no problem. Got in my car this evening to go get food started the car, check engine light came on, and my air bag light came on went to pull forward and the car was jerking and making knocking noises...

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 162014

Aura

Took car in for service at which time also requested cooling system flush, unable to have done as service dept. Found a leak at the crossover pipe which needs to be repaired once they receive the parts. I had the crossover pipe replaced and resealed in Feb. 2013 at 54233 miles. Feel that this should not continue to go out every year.

- Marysville, WA, USA

May 242013

Aura 6-cyl

Door locks malfunction constantly locking and unlocking. Engine heat can be felt inside the car when driving causing the A/C to be used excessively waisting more gasoline. Windshield wipers wear out quickly and do not wipe water off of driver side glass well. Radio and speakers electrical malfunctioning. Lettering rubbed off on functional buttons on steering wheel and doors. Air bag light malfunction. Hood of car developed weather spots. Insulation at the top of front window worn out.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

May 222014

Aura 6-cyl

I arrived at driveway to my home and put the car into park. I got out of the car and closed driver door to unlock chain on gate in front of driveway. I proceeded to manually open the 25' metal gate. When the gate was almost completely open I turned towards the car and to my surprise the car was moving forward with no one in it. The car traveled approximately 15' and was stopped by a 3' diameter metal cylinder. The cars front bumper was damaged. Luckily, no persons were injured.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jun 032014

Aura 6-cyl

While driving I got an engine light, then a service ESC then a service traction. I contacted onstar for a diagnostic (after I returned home). I then had it towed to a garage where the mechanic informed me that after replacing a sensor the problem still existed and was due to a stretched timing chain. He then said he thought there might have been a recall concerning this issue. I have had issues prior to this and got no satisfaction from the dealer service center in santa rosa ca. I even filed a complaint with Saturn.

- Point Arena, CA, USA

Jun 052014

Aura 6-cyl

I had just purchased this vehicle from a dealer and less then three hours after driving it off the lot I was in traffic in the Twin Cities and the engine gave out on me. I had braked because of a vehicle in front of me and went to accelerate and nothing happened. Luckily the vehicles behind me, on 35W, didn't hit me as I was stuck at 35mph and crawled off of the road. I do a good amount of city driving and this could have happened to me in a much worse possible scenario. I got the error codes P0700 P0776 from the engine, turns out that my wave plate broke and that this has been happening to Saturn cars for years and there hasn't been a recall. I could have easily got in a car accident and died when this happened to my vehicle. It could have easily been prevented too. I've been conned out of a lot of money by GM on this vehicle, but I'm also happy just to be alive.

- Belle Plaine, MN, USA

Jun 272013

Aura 6-cyl

My air bags go on and off every few days ! also when I think the car in park its not sometimes I have to hit the switch put in park. Check engine light been on and off since I got the car.

- Loreauville, LA, USA

Apr 012014

Aura

I have experienced numerous defects with my 2007 Saturn Aura xr. Since purchasing this vehicle, I have performed routine maintenance (I.e. oil changes, tire replacement, brake service, etc). However, the vehicle requires continuous repair and is frequently problematic. On 6/6/2012, the transmission was replaced with only 71,945 miles on the vehicle the vehicle does not start from time to time. I thought the battery was the cause so I went to advance auto parts where I purchased the battery. The technician performed a diagnostics test on the battery, alternator, and starter. The report showed that all three components tested normal. On 11/29/2012, (while still experiencing issues with the vehicle starting) I went back to advance auto parts and asked them to replace the battery again to see if it resolved the problem. Soon after, the vehicle continued to have trouble starting. When having the brake pads and rotors replaced, I was informed that the power steering rack needed to be replaced with 84,718 miles on the odometer - estimated over $700 to repair. There is also a malfunction with the interior controls of the vehicle. The door locks as well as the controls on the steering wheel including the horn do not operate! consequently, the dashboard displays an airbag service message. (a major safety concern) recently on April 1, 2014, the vehicle made an alarming noise when I started it. I had the vehicle towed to a local GM service center to be diagnosed. I was informed that it would be $100 for the diagnostics check. After the initial inspection, I was told that there was a problem with engine and that it would be another $200 - $300 just to remove the engine and disassemble to further investigate. My vehicle is currently not drive-able. The engine and steering issues are also documented on service bulletins related to 2007 Saturn Auras

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Feb 242014

Aura 6-cyl

The check engine light was off and on for 3 weeks prior to taking the vehicle to the shop. Also, the service traction light came on the day before I took the car to be evaluated. I was told the timing chain stretched due to the manufacturer preset oil change. My car has 85, 500 miles on it and this is the first issue with the vehicle. The repair is $3000. There are numerous complaints about this same issue with other Saturn and GM vehicles.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Mar 132014

Aura

After exiting the highway I was stopped at a red light. Upon starting to move, the vehicle stopped accelerating and the engine revved to 3000rpm at 15-20 mph. I was able to get the vehicle to a parking lot and was fortunate to not cause an accident as I was in a lot of traffic. I attempted to drive the vehicle in the parking lot under the paddle system and the vehicle would not go past the third gear. I had the car towed to my mechanic and they also noticed the car would not go into reverse. The engine light then turned on. The car has been transferred to a transmission shop who has stated the transmission needs an entire overhaul which will cost $3300-3400. They are currently repairing the vehicle. I feel there should be a recall including free repairs of this obviously defective transmission. I have read many complaints with a very similar scenario.

- Fairview Park, OH, USA