NHTSA — Other Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The Saturn Aura was a mid-size car meant to replace the somewhat problematic L-Series. Unfortunately, the Aura brought its own problems: namely cheap brake parts that needed early replacement and a gear shifter that could say it’s in park while the transmission was still engaged.

Brake problems, including uneven wear and warped rotors that cause the car to wobble, are common complaints from 2007 owners. Did GM use metal for its rotors that can’t stand the heat? That’s what some say, and it’s hard to argue when reports show that rotors could start to warp as early as 500 miles off the dealer lot.

Meanwhile, a busted gear shifter cable lead to some unwanted rollaways. That’s because the shifter could say “Park” while the transmission was still in drive, reverse or neutral. A defect investigation into the issue was opened in 2011, eventually leading to a recall of 56,000 vehicles in 2014.

7.8

2007 Saturn Aura miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Aura:

2007 Saturn Aura Owner Comments

Feb 212007

Aura 6-cyl

In October 2006, my husband and I purchased a new 2007 Saturn Aura. In December 2006, we received a recall notice from the Saturn of greenville, nc dealership. Modification # 06147. On 12/29/06 I took the car to the dealership to have the car serviced for the recall. As explained to me the recall had to do something with the power steering. On February 21, 2007, I had an upsetting event occur with my new Aura. I drove approximately three miles from my home to a child care center to drop off my one-year old son. I continued my drive to work approximately 2.5 miles. As I approached my place of employment, I noticed some smoke and immediately thereafter lost my power steering. I struggled with the steering until I reached our parking lot and then I ran from the car in panic. Immediately upon leaving the vehicle, the engine erupted into a fiery blaze. My co-workers witnessed the fire in disbelief and assisted me with contacting the fire department. The fire consumed the front end of my vehicle and it was declared a total loss. The car only had approximately 5800 miles. After contacting Saturn corporate, the so called 'recall' above was actually only a service bulletin. Even though the notice we received in the mail had stated on it, urgent/recall notice. Since the fire, GM has re-purchased the automobile and has refunded our money. We do not know the cause of the engine fire nor do we know if the fire was related to the service bulletin we had the car serviced for in December 2006.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA