NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2007 Saturn Aura (Page 4 of 4)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The Saturn Aura was a mid-size car meant to replace the somewhat problematic L-Series. Unfortunately, the Aura brought its own problems: namely cheap brake parts that needed early replacement and a gear shifter that could say it’s in park while the transmission was still engaged.

Brake problems, including uneven wear and warped rotors that cause the car to wobble, are common complaints from 2007 owners. Did GM use metal for its rotors that can’t stand the heat? That’s what some say, and it’s hard to argue when reports show that rotors could start to warp as early as 500 miles off the dealer lot.

Meanwhile, a busted gear shifter cable lead to some unwanted rollaways. That’s because the shifter could say “Park” while the transmission was still in drive, reverse or neutral. A defect investigation into the issue was opened in 2011, eventually leading to a recall of 56,000 vehicles in 2014.

2007 Saturn Aura seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Aura:

2007 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Oct 092011

Aura 6-cyl

2007 Saturn Aura xe. Consumer states side air bags deployed while driving the consumer stated the driver side air bag hit and stung her on the arm very hard, and immediately following was the passenger side. The steering wheel locked as she attempted to steer the vehicle out of the flow of traffic, her seat belt locked and the vehicle instantly died and everything powered off. The vehicle was towed to the nearest dealership. The consumer finally received a call from an inspector, who stated the air bag deployment was somewhat a normal circumstance and was unrelated to an electric system malfunctioning. It was determined the electrical failure was due to an outside source and GM was not at fault.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jun 212011

Aura 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. The contact started the ignition and the front passenger side air bag warning indicator illuminated. The intermittent failure recurred during engine start-up or while driving various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the air bag module would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired for the defect. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 27,992. Updated 12/06/11 updated 02/06/12

- Englewood, MD, USA

Oct 032011

Aura

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph when the airbags deployed independently followed by the vehicle stalling. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis. The failure mileage was approximately 92,000.

- Spring, TX, USA

Feb 012011

Aura 6-cyl

"service air bag" indicator comes on and passenger air bag "on" symbol goes off occasionally at random times. Took it to dealer and they inform me that the passenger presence module needs to be replaced at a cost of approximately $750. Am uncertain if air bag will work when needed. Very premature failure for a safety related item. Vehicle is 4 1/2 years old with 47000 miles and has been maintained by selling dealer.

- State College, PA, USA

Aug 232011

Aura

Service air bag light comes on intermittently. I've read online that this has been a problem for a ton of other 2007 Saturn Aura owners. I have heard that the repair is well over $1,000 because they have to take your passenger seat apart to get to the problem, & the labor costs alone are phenomenal! if so many people are having the same problem, why isn't this a recall"?" air bags are very important, & if mine don't work, I think I should get the cost to fix it (from GM) to pay for the problem!!!

- Hampton, VA, USA

May 012009

Aura

I purchased this Saturn with 32K on it, two days after having the vehicle it started overheating and the air conditioner went out. I contacted the dealership because it was still under factory warranty. It took them a week to fix the vehicle because they had to completely rewire a few things. One month after that happened, I noticed when I turned I felt a popping in the floor board on the driver side. I again contacted the dealer and they had me bring the vehicle in and stated something was loose in the axel shaft and they ¿fixed¿ the popping by tightening it up. Three months following the above events, I noticed the popping started again. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they replaced the front ball joint, rack, and pinion. I drove away from the dealership and immediately had to turn around and return the vehicle because the problem continued. At that point they had the vehicle for five months straight. They say they replaced everything from the steering column down. Every time I called for an update they always had a different answer. I have replaced the rotors on this car 3 times now and it only has 60K. The service airbag light continues to stay on. The dealership says they replaced the airbag coil but yet it continues to come on. Now the transmission is slipping constantly in 5th and 6th gear. This car has been the worst car I have ever owned. I will never purchase another GM product again. I have had nothing but issues with this car since the day I brought it home. My husband was called to deploy to iraq and we had a 2 week old baby so we had to get a bigger car before he left. We only had 3 days when he was called up to leave (he was inactive reserve and was called up). I did not have time to research this car before we bought it. If I could do it all over again I would never even consider this car. Reading into it now, it seems a lot of people have had the same issues with this car.

- Barnesville, GA, USA

Nov 012010

Aura

2007 Saturn Aura xe has air bag light on at times. Service air bag readout appears periodically, along with red air bag icon. Pressed on star button, had advisor monitor message, advised to get to dealership to have checked. This was done, dealer mechanic re-calibrated pps system on two more occasions, last time was March 31, 2011. Problem still ongoing. Passenger side airbag indicator reads "on" and "off" while average weight adult occupies seat. Cannot have full use of car for this unsafe reason. This issue needs to be a recall. Purchased new January 2007.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Jan 232011

Aura 6-cyl

Instrument panel message "service airbags soon" appears randomly accompanied by a red panel icon. Message and icon eventually disappear. Owners manual does not give information about what this means or its effect on the airbag system.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Apr 012010

Aura

On dash warning lights for failed airbag. Drivers remains on unless passenger then that warning light supersedes drivers light which temporarily goes out. Was a problem at time car purchased used. Dealer (Buick) said it was normal.. I now realize it is a fault common on these cars.

- Edmonton, 00, USA

Oct 292010

Aura 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that she noticed the service air bag light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer who stated that she would need to replace the pps sensor as the air bags would not deploy in the event of a crash. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 33,000. Updated 01/31/11 updated 03/11/11

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 282010

Aura

Service air bag message appears. Has happened at least three times in last two weeks. First time, passenger was in seat and about 2 minutes after air bag was "on", the chime and message that it was needing service. Second time, immediately after passenger exited car, the chime and message, message remained on for the remaining 20 minutes of drive. Third time, after car was in motion, mo passenger. Took that car to a GM dealer for repair, was informed that it was not a covered repair. I did not get it repaired at the time of this complaint. This is a safety issue and should not come out of my pocket to repair it.

- Granger, IN, USA

Sep 302010

Aura

Service light comes on while driving in my Saturn Aura 2007 car. Planning to take in as soon as possible, but have trip scheduled Monday Oct 4, 2010.

- Nyack, NY, USA

Aug 252010

Aura

1driving vehicle with driver and passenger in the car. Stop to let passenger out at their destination. Passenger gets out of the car. A few seconds after passenger exits, the chimes go off and "service airbag soon" indicators light up and remain on til vehicle is turned off. Vehicle was not put into park when dropping the passenger off, and doors were unlocked from switch. This happened on two occasions.

- Johnson City, NY, USA

Jul 202010

Aura

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. While driving, the air bag service light remained illuminated. The vehicle will be taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer will be contacted. The failure and the current mileages were 51,000.

- Davenport , IA, USA

Feb 122010

Aura

I drive a 2007 Saturn Aura and recently the service air bag light came on. I talked with the service department at Saturn and they stated that it would cost $1200+ to remove the passenger seat and fix the sensor. Also the passenger front door sensor that tells you that the door is closed malfunctioned. When you close the door, it tells you that the door is ajar when it is actually closed. To fix that would cost about $420.

- Park Forest, IL, USA

Mar 142010

Aura

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. The contact stated he noticed the passenger side air bag light was not illuminated, indicating the air bag was off. He stated the failure would occur intermittently when the seat was occupied or unoccupied. The weight of the passenger would vary from 120 to 200 pounds and the failure would persist. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,500 and the current mileage was 40,000. Updated 05/19/2010.

- Emmaus, PA, USA

Mar 182003

Aura

Since buying my Saturn Aura in March 2007 my life has been a complete headache. I first had to take my car into the shop with only 2300 miles on it for rack and pinion to be replaced. Since then it has been in the shop no less than every 6 months. I have had to replace the brakes and rotors two times, motor mount, passenger air bag, sunroof drain, water pump, coolant crossover pipe, water reservoir, steering shaft and more. Now my rack and pinion is bad again and they will not fix it. Also there is a major rattle in front of car and squeal coming from front drivers side tire. They tell me that there is nothing wrong and cannot duplicate. Just recently I have started to notice that my car steering is funny and also that it cuts out or accelerates on it's own. I am planning on getting it back in again to the shop soon. I do not feel safe driving this car. I have three small children and want something done to stop all the problems.

- Lacey, WA, USA

Aug 102007

Aura 6-cyl

My car was brand new when purchased. My car has a passenger airbag indicator. The airbag only turns on if there is someone in the passenger seat. On occasion, when there is indeed a passenger in the seat, the airbag does not turn on. Saturn was contacted about this issue through their customer assistance center via there website a couple of weeks after I purchased the car. Saturn told me to refer to my owner's manual for information on child safety seats. They did not offer to test the indicator or to look at my vehicle. Why wait until someone is injured or killed before an investigation is launched.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA