Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Saturn Aura was a mid-size car meant to replace the somewhat problematic L-Series. Unfortunately, the Aura brought its own problems: namely cheap brake parts that needed early replacement and a gear shifter that could say it’s in park while the transmission was still engaged.

Brake problems, including uneven wear and warped rotors that cause the car to wobble, are common complaints from 2007 owners. Did GM use metal for its rotors that can’t stand the heat? That’s what some say, and it’s hard to argue when reports show that rotors could start to warp as early as 500 miles off the dealer lot.

Meanwhile, a busted gear shifter cable lead to some unwanted rollaways. That’s because the shifter could say “Park” while the transmission was still in drive, reverse or neutral. A defect investigation into the issue was opened in 2011, eventually leading to a recall of 56,000 vehicles in 2014.

2007 Saturn Aura steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Aura:

2007 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Aug 052007

Driving vehicle and turning causes a clunk in the steering system. Had dealer look at it, and stated it is the intermediate steering shaft. Happens at most speeds when turning. After some research online, it appears to be a very common problem.

- Johnson City, NY, USA

Jul 012010

Aura 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Saturn Aura xr with the 3.6L V6 engine. When turning the steering wheel in either direction, it makes a moaning/groaning noise which emanates though out the passenger cabin, there are times when the sound gets really loud. It sounds like the steering pump or other mechanical part. I have been reading Saturn boards and with this vehicle, there has been a lot of people talking about the same issue that I have mentioned. I have not taken my vehicle to the dealership due to the vehicle being out of service warranty.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Nov 112009

While driving in town or on the highway the road was not level and was sloping down to the right and with the "hydraulic steering" you do not have a hard grip on the steering wheel and you are not expecting it, the car will go to the right or left depending on the slop of the road. If you are driving on the highway and the highway makes a long graded curve, depending whether it is a right of left curve, the car wants to catapult you to the opposite direction that you are turning. I am now on my 3rd. Rack and pinion steering that was changed by the dealership and hydraulic fluid has been added another 2 or 3 times. The old part is not available. The failure has happened several times and I have been pulled to the right off the road and bent several rims, which I had to replace. And Saturn says nothing is wrong with the car. I went to lemon law at the BBB, but when I walked in the door I knew I was wasting my time, when the arbitrator was driving a corvette and the people working for BBB were driving Saturn vue's. even the window sticker does not mention anything about power steering or the sales brochure. This has been going on since April 30, 2008.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Mar 182003

Since buying my Saturn Aura in March 2007 my life has been a complete headache. I first had to take my car into the shop with only 2300 miles on it for rack and pinion to be replaced. Since then it has been in the shop no less than every 6 months. I have had to replace the brakes and rotors two times, motor mount, passenger air bag, sunroof drain, water pump, coolant crossover pipe, water reservoir, steering shaft and more. Now my rack and pinion is bad again and they will not fix it. Also there is a major rattle in front of car and squeal coming from front drivers side tire. They tell me that there is nothing wrong and cannot duplicate. Just recently I have started to notice that my car steering is funny and also that it cuts out or accelerates on it's own. I am planning on getting it back in again to the shop soon. I do not feel safe driving this car. I have three small children and want something done to stop all the problems.

- Lacey, WA, USA

Jan 132010

I have a 2007 Saturn Aura xr, great car, but when you hit bumps, or cross lanes where there is uneven pavement the steering over reacts regardless of how hard you hold the wheel. This causes the car to move in the direction that the uneven pavement throws it toward, so you have to over compensate quickly before you hit another car next to you or a guard rail. It often feels like the power steering is not responsive enough by the second as it's needed. Now I have driven a Chevy Malibu 08, which is the same platform/car to test the steering, and the steering felt solid and held too in the same route. So I think you need to look into GM's power steering that they have put into the Saturn Aura, as it is way too over reactive, and creates violent understeer.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Mar 012008

I purchased a 2007 Saturn Aura xr new from Saturn of thornton rd. In March 2008. Beginning at purchase I have had to have the brakes replaced, 2 window motors redone, steering parts ordered and put on door handles replaced, and I am currently waiting for more steering parts and door handles to be ordered. I make monthly trips to this dealership to have something repaired...please help me.

- Winston, GA, USA

Apr 252008

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Aura. While driving at any rate of speed, the contact heard clicking noises. In addition, the steering wheel drastically vibrated while making a left or right turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer approximately six times and they stated that the stabilizer bar failed. The dealer further stated that the vibration in the steering was normal and could not be repaired. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer on May 29, 2008 and they stated that something was wrong with the steering. The steering will be repaired on June 9, 2008. The current mileage was 21,426 and failure mileage was 19,901.

- Everette, MA, USA

Aug 132007

Aura 6-cyl

At 13,000 miles I took the car back to the dealership in binghampton on 8/14/07 where I purchased the car and explained to them that the car doesn't handle right, that it wanders all over the road and that the steering makes noise. It feels like something is loose in the front of the car. They said they test drove it and heard nothing. No action was taken. I called them back with a tire problem (the side wall had a huge bulge in it) I thought this was why the car didn't handle good. The binghampton store didn't have a tire. I took the car to Saturn of Wyoming to have the defected tire replaced. I asked to check the steering. They found something wrong and replaced the steering knuckle joint. Then there was another problem with handling and a humming noise. They found and replaced the right front wheel bearing. Again the car handling got bad and it is currently in the shop being checked. I called Saturn and explained to them that the car car was unsafe to drive. It goes where ever it wants, you have to constantly steer the car to keep it straight. They didn't seem to care because I asked them to tow it and they told me it was my responsibility to do anything like that.

- Greenfield Twp, PA, USA