NHTSA — Electronic Stability Control Problems

2008 Saturn Aura (Page 2 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Aura’s issues with brakes, such as worn out rotors, isn’t as severe as the prior model year, but let’s just not start awarding them any brake awards just yet. Does that even exist? “The Brakies”?

One thing the 2008 does share with the 2007 is a recall of a busted gear shifter cable which can make it look like your car is in park, when the transmission is still engaged. You can only imagine what kind of fun that causes.

2008 Saturn Aura brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Aura:

2008 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 082013

Aura

I have had my car for about 1 year now and I have been having issues with it since I left the dealer ship. The car has begun to give me a traction control light, engine power reduced light, and check engine light. I was driving down the road trying to get to work when I came up to a hill. I started going up the hill as usual and the car all of sudden lost all power. It would not go above 45 miles per hour and was struggling to do even that. It took me about 10 minutes to get the hill where I shut my car off and waited about 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes I turned my car back on and it functioned as normal. If there is a problem going on in the car why would be cleared after 10 minutes of being off? this car needs to be recalled before someone doesn't see that the Aura in front of them in being forced by the computer to slow down. The break lights do not come on when this occurs. I had to shut my car off 3 times just to make it 5 miles where I could get it looked at. The power steering in my car is also whacked out. I will be driving down the road and it will start turning the wheel back and forth. I have seen this happen in older cars, it is usually caused by a bad U joint. In this particular case it is not. After this occurred I slowed down and pulled over on the side of the road and placed my car in park. The steering was still shaking back and forth rapidly. I have taken it to many dealers and asked if they could determine a cause. All of them have said the same thing, "I have never seen that happen before". I wish I would have looked into all of the reviews about this car before I bought it. There are hundreds of instances of this happen to Aura owners and I think it time GM pays for it!

- Mears, MI, USA

Nov 012012

Aura 6-cyl

My car has been serviced at the dealer numerous times, for the following issues. Service lights would come on I.e. engine, traction, air bags, tire pressure, etc. The remote on the car stopped working, and the door locks would open and shut on their own at various times while driving. I continuously have to manually lock the car. On a total of 3 occasions my car would not start. I cut the car off and went to start it again and it would not start at all. While driving the car I came to a complete stop, the car was in drive and as I accelerated the car moved in reverse. Oil leaking. I have taken this car to the shop multiple times within the last few months. Please note it is currently sitting from the last time it would not start. I have receipts totaling over $3,000 for this car in a short period. I took it to the dealership, only to have to take it back a month later and was told I need a new battery. On another occasion when it stopped I had just gotten the car out of the shop and 2 days later it stopped running. I paid for a tow and went to pick it up from the dealer who could find nothing wrong. Then the next week it stopped running again, where it is sitting now. Updated 03/07/14 updated 03/18/2014*

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 312013

Aura 6-cyl

While driving my 2008 Saturn Aura ABS light, traction control, and ESC light comes on. Car starts. Transmission on route 95 South in Florida went from speed limit of 70 to 20 with no warning. Got off the highway car would not go any faster. Also could not put car into reverse.

- Melbourne , FL, USA

Jul 132013

Aura 6-cyl

The vehicle does not go into park. When placed in park it rolls foward or backward and I must use the emergency brake to turn off the car and remove the key. It only allows me to start my car in neutral. It has shifted from drive to neutral as I am driving. There has been over 421, 000 of these recalled but I am being told mine is not on the list and I must pay for it all out of pocket from falicia, the district specialist for Saturn. My biggest concern is who would the blame be on if my car were to roll into another car or building? I want and need to get this fixes asap but do not have any money for ot and do not believe I should have to pay for it when all the others were fixed for free due to it being a defect.

- Lima, OH, USA

Apr 192013

Aura 6-cyl

First, let me start by saying that I traded-in for my 2008 Saturn Aura in April 2011. Since that time, I have had continuous problems with the car. Today, my car is in the shop to fix the brake lights, cruise control, and traction/ESC. Brake lights: On my way home Friday, a concerned citizen had me role down my window en route to tell me that my brake lights stay on the entire time I am driving. After this warning, I did some investigation - sure enough, the lights engage when the brake is not being pushed. Worse yet, the brake lights go off when the brake is pushed. Thank goodness for the person who alerted me to this. Truthfully, I am lucky that I did not get rear-ended or get a ticket. I truly hope the brake light issue is recalled because it is very dangerous. Cruise control: My cruise control does not work all the time. Sometimes it works; sometimes it engages then randomly disengages; sometimes it just plain does engage at all. I can live without cruise control; however, I really don't think this should be happening, as the vehicle is not that old and is very well maintained. Traction/ESC: Occasionally, my dash will display a warning that says "service traction, service ESC, ESC off." It doesn't do this everyday. It just displays the warning at random times - I cannot distinguish a pattern. Overall, I am very displeased with how this vehicle functions. Not only does it cost me money to fix, it takes time out of my day - I get paid hourly at my job. My main concern is the brakes lights, as someone could get seriously hurt, and the problem is very difficult to detect unless another motorist warns you or you do night driving (which I do not). Thank you for hearing me out - I really appreciate it!

- Gibsonburg, OH, USA

Apr 092013

Aura 4-cyl

I purchased my 2008 Saturn Aura in May 2012. I started noticing that my brake light in rear window would come on by itself without braking and would stay on for periods of time. A T first it didn't bother me, but lately it has become frequent. The light would come on and stay on even when cranking the car up. It also comes on while driving, doesn't matter the speed limit it still comes on and stays on for a period of time. It is very misleading because in the middle of flowing traffic the light will come on giving the driver behind me the impression that I am breaking. Also when the light is illuminated, cruise control does not work. I am very concerned for my safety and others safety at this point because it happens so frequently and I have had a driver to become very irate with me because of my brake light coming on giving the impression that I am braking. I am hoping that this issue be thoroughly investigated. Thank you

- Jackson, MS, USA

Feb 232013

Aura 6-cyl

Regardless of how fast I am driving, whether 35 mph or 60 mph, my brake lights operate in a reverse manner. As I apply my brakes, the brake lights turn off. On the other hand, when I release my brakes, the brakes lights comes on. This causes a distraction and a danger to me and the traffic behind me. The issue occurs often and sporadically. I have noticed a pattern; when this issue occurs my service ESC light comes on and my traction turns off.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 182010

Aura

Service traction control/ESC light comes on intermittently brake light stay on constantly go off when brake pedal is tapped!!!

- Girard, OH, USA

Feb 102008

Aura

I own a 2008 Saturn Aura xr. The car has been trouble since I have taken it home. It has had a total of 8 problems within the first year, and now has a problem that is dangerous and Saturn has been unable to correct. The car is less than a year old with only 14000 miles. Periodically when going at speeds above 55 mph the traction and stability control system will error. When this occurs the whole car begins to shake. The engine begins stalling out and the car becomes difficult to control. I have taken the car to the dealership twice. The dealership has no idea what the problem is. I am scared to drive the car. I have voiced my concerns with General Motors, and they were negative and unresponsive. They have equipped my car with a monitor so they are able to record everything that happens. I requested them supply me with a rental car, for safety reasons until the car is fixed. GM has denied my request. I asked GM to guarantee in writing that the car is safe to drive, and they will not. I have asked GM to replace the vehicle which they have already denied. I am unsure what to do from here, except drive an unsafe vehicle, as I cannot afford to purchase another new car.

- Lorain, OH, USA