NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2008 Saturn Aura (Page 2 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Aura’s issues with brakes, such as worn out rotors, isn’t as severe as the prior model year, but let’s just not start awarding them any brake awards just yet. Does that even exist? “The Brakies”?

One thing the 2008 does share with the 2007 is a recall of a busted gear shifter cable which can make it look like your car is in park, when the transmission is still engaged. You can only imagine what kind of fun that causes.

2008 Saturn Aura brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Aura:

2008 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 232012

Aura

1st problem rear door locks would keep opening and locking by themselves, same time trunk would would not unlock.had to have all repaired at a cost of $450.2nd problem while car parked in drive an in park car rolled back into mail box now have to have fender repaired, took to dealer could find no problem.3rd problem car driver door sagging chipping paint dealer tightened does not hold.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Jan 012014

Aura 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway about 6 am it there was some snow on the ground. As I was driving my traction control keep going on and off. At that time I didn't know why it keep going on and off. The only problem I thought I had was for my brake light to randomly come on. Which I didn't know it cause all other functions to completely go out. I wasn't going but 35mph when all of a sudden I was spinning and in the ditch. I grew up driving in the snow knowing to drive a front wheel drive car in the snow it's better than a rear. Not until this winter have I had a problem. In this incident I spun completely out of control nothing that I could do to try and prevent it. Yes I know the snow is not safe conditions to drive in. I have clean record not once have I been into a wreck nor had problems driving in the snow. I had to have tow truck get my car out of the ditch after leaving it there cause I was too cold to be in it. Now my drivers side back is dented and a huge catch down the car.

- Beckemeyer, IL, USA

Feb 152014

Aura 6-cyl

The brake light would illuminate without brake pedal being pressed. This happened on more than one occasion. Problems with the cruise control engagement. Problems with the traction control sensor coming on without cause.

- Aberdeen, NC, USA

Aug 142013

Aura

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the brake lights illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed. Additionally, the contact lost control of the vehicle when traveling over a puddle, causing the vehicle to spin in partially into the direction of oncoming traffic. The service traction control warning light was illuminated. Also, the contact stated that the cruise control did not function properly. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 192013

Aura 4-cyl

It's hard to drive my car now the brakes power steering and light has to be changed frequently.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Aura

This is an issue I experience a couple years ago and discussed this with the dealer. It has since returned and is getting worse. Rear brake lights are on while the car is driving and in neutral although the brake pedal is not depressed. Cruise control will not function once the break light turns on. When the pedal is pressed lightly and the breaks engage slowly, the break lights will turn off. Upon moderate to heavy breaking the lights will then turn back on. This is a significant safety issue. Upon releasing the breaks I will have approx. 7 seconds where I can use the cruise control and the break lights are off before the lights turn on again and disengages the cruise control. During that 7 seconds light breaking will still not turn on the break lights. This issue is intermittent but is appearing more regularly. During a recent 40 mile trip I could use the cruise control for a couple miles, then loose it for a couple more with the brake lights on, then regain normal functionality for a couple more, etc.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Dec 012012

Aura

After only 4,000 miles, the rotors needed to be replaced! then I started noticing the dash above the glove box was beginning to crack as well as the left change holder (below the dimmer switch). Now the entire dash just above the glovebox is completely cracked and the glove box hangs down. The same issue with the dimmer switch...the dash area is completely cracked through. I am not rough on my car...this is not just wear and tear. Other issues include the drive shaft making a clunking noise when turning (especially to the left). The auto locks no longer work (button on door won't lock the doors...only unlocks them), and a real safety issue is the driver's side door sometimes won't unlock...even when the handle is pulled. It has to be manually lifted up.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Oct 182013

Aura 6-cyl

Brake lights come on when peddle is not pressed, also the cuts the cruise off without warning.

- Empire, CO, USA

Oct 132013

Aura 4-cyl

Rear brake lights were on when vehicle was driving although the brake pedal was not depressed. When the brake pedal was pressed lightly, the brake lights went off, and then if more pressure was applied to the brakes they would come on again. Problem appeared to be intermittent but was observed regularly. Vehicle was taken to dealership and service technician performed tsb fix, which was to lubricate BCM connector with dielectric lube and relearn brake pedal position sensor in BCM. Vehicle tested ok after repair. ***note*** this vehicle was involved in a low speed rear end collision in September 2012 where the other driver hit the rear of this car as several cars were braking for a stop light. It is very possible that this problem has been occurring for some time and that this problem contributed to the earlier accident.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Oct 082013

Aura 6-cyl

I was followed by a passerby to my work parking lot notifying me that the for the 8 miles they were behind me on the highway my brake lights were on. The next morning I noticed it again, could see through my rear view mirror that my brake light was illuminated. I pulled over to the side of the road, put my car in park and the break light remained on. I applied my brake foot pedal and the light turned off until I had the pedal to the floor, after I pulled my foot off the brake the brake light went back on. I verified that my parking brake was not engaged. This issue is not continuous to the point that it happens every time I drive my car but intermittent. The times I notice it are in the morning, most likely because I can see the light illuminate at that time of the day. The temperature those mornings were around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I have also noticed that when this issue is occurring my cruise control does not work, which makes sense considering my car thinks I am applying the brake. I have an appointment scheduled with my dealership to take a look at the issue and have also called GM. From the investigation I have done online I see that you were investigating this issue and I hope that you are continuing. I currently do not feel safe in this car and will be borrowing a friends vehicle for my daily commute until my scheduled appointment.

- Grafton, OH, USA

Nov 012012

Aura 6-cyl

My car has been serviced at the dealer numerous times, for the following issues. Service lights would come on I.e. engine, traction, air bags, tire pressure, etc. The remote on the car stopped working, and the door locks would open and shut on their own at various times while driving. I continuously have to manually lock the car. On a total of 3 occasions my car would not start. I cut the car off and went to start it again and it would not start at all. While driving the car I came to a complete stop, the car was in drive and as I accelerated the car moved in reverse. Oil leaking. I have taken this car to the shop multiple times within the last few months. Please note it is currently sitting from the last time it would not start. I have receipts totaling over $3,000 for this car in a short period. I took it to the dealership, only to have to take it back a month later and was told I need a new battery. On another occasion when it stopped I had just gotten the car out of the shop and 2 days later it stopped running. I paid for a tow and went to pick it up from the dealer who could find nothing wrong. Then the next week it stopped running again, where it is sitting now. Updated 03/07/14 updated 03/18/2014*

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 312010

Aura 4-cyl

Ever since I have bought my car a 2008 Saturn Aura used. My brake light come on and stay for no reason and when they are on I can not use my cruise control. And when I press the brake pedal the light will go off. So if I'm driving 60 and my brake lights are on and need to slow down and brake they go off I could get rear ended which almost happened tonight. I took it into the dealer and all they did was grease something it did not work!!!! I will be getting a ticket from our local sheriff because I live in a small own and he has said something to me. It happens frequently. Please help I do not feel safe transporting my family. I have filed a complaint over the phone months ago and never heard anything.

- Paradise, MI, USA

Aug 172013

Aura 4-cyl

My brake lights were illuminating like the brake pedal was being depressed; however, the brake pedal was not being depressed. When I did depress the brake pedal, the brake lights would go off completely. Then, after approximately 10 seconds, they would come back on like they were being depressed. Also, the cruise control was not working. It would not set and hold the car at a specific speed.

- Mentor, OH, USA

Aug 122013

Aura 4-cyl

Cruise control disengaged and brake lights came on and stay on without hitting brake.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 202012

Aura

I was driving on the highway with my cruise engaged. When all of a sudden, my cruise turned off. I look in my rear view mirror and I saw my third brake lights on. That's when I found out that my back brake lights come on randomly when I drive. When I use my brake pedals than my brake lights turn off. And when I accelerate, my brake lights turn on. I need some help. I have a 6months old in the car and I feel this could get us into an accident.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 312013

Aura 6-cyl

While driving my 2008 Saturn Aura ABS light, traction control, and ESC light comes on. Car starts. Transmission on route 95 South in Florida went from speed limit of 70 to 20 with no warning. Got off the highway car would not go any faster. Also could not put car into reverse.

- Melbourne , FL, USA

Jul 132013

Aura 4-cyl

I was driving home from work when I saw my high mount brake light on the brake pedal was not being pushed. Then when the brake pedal was lightly pushed the brake lights would turn off. The problem only occurs sometimes.

- Aurora , IL, USA

Jun 032013

Aura 4-cyl

Noticed that the brake lights stay illuminated all the time regardless of brake pedal position.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Apr 112013

Aura 6-cyl

This is my second complaint on here for the same brake light issue. I had trouble with my car brake lights working backwards (on when driving, off when braking) about two years ago, had them fixed and they worked for about eight months and then stopped working again. I took them to a certified GM service station on 4/5/2013 to have them fixed for the second time. I picked up my car from said repairs on 4/8/2013 to only find that on 4/11/13 the brake lights were working backwards again. I took my vehicle back to the same GM service station to have them re-re-repaired on 4/13/13 and picked the car up the same day. On 4/14/13 I am having the same problem with the lights working backwards less than 24 hours after they were supposed to be fixed for the 3rd time! so I will take my car back to the GM center on 4/15/15 to have the brake lights re-re-re-re repaired. The certified service center closest to me is about 30 miles away so everytime I go to get them fixed two vehicles have to drive the round trip (1 vehicle twice and my vehicle once). It is ridiculous to have to pay the exorbitant gas prices because the people at GM are apparently icopatent (which has been corroborated by there inability to make a safety related repair) the us government must force GM to recall the vehicles affected by these faulty break lights and force them to find a solution that will fix the potential dangerous problem. The thing irritating me most is that they are not even trying to find a problem that will actualy correct the faulty equipment. At this point I will even be willing to pay for the repairs if they will just find a permenant solution! signed, very upset with the quality of american made vehicles!

- Hawesville, KY, USA

Apr 092013

Aura 4-cyl

I purchased my 2008 Saturn Aura in May 2012. I started noticing that my brake light in rear window would come on by itself without braking and would stay on for periods of time. A T first it didn't bother me, but lately it has become frequent. The light would come on and stay on even when cranking the car up. It also comes on while driving, doesn't matter the speed limit it still comes on and stays on for a period of time. It is very misleading because in the middle of flowing traffic the light will come on giving the driver behind me the impression that I am breaking. Also when the light is illuminated, cruise control does not work. I am very concerned for my safety and others safety at this point because it happens so frequently and I have had a driver to become very irate with me because of my brake light coming on giving the impression that I am braking. I am hoping that this issue be thoroughly investigated. Thank you

- Jackson, MS, USA