Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2008 Aura’s issues with brakes, such as worn out rotors, isn’t as severe as the prior model year, but let’s just not start awarding them any brake awards just yet. Does that even exist? “The Brakies”?

One thing the 2008 does share with the 2007 is a recall of a busted gear shifter cable which can make it look like your car is in park, when the transmission is still engaged. You can only imagine what kind of fun that causes.

2008 Saturn Aura lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Aura:

2008 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 092016

The cruise control in my 2008 Saturn Aura is not functioning. Service ESC and traction control lights flash on the dashboard intermittently. Brakes lights are on constantly, even when the brake is not applied. I took my car to a Saturn-approved Chevy dealer for service and referenced the NHTSA recall #14V252000 from 2014. The mechanics checked the scan data and found the brake pedal learned position data was erractic in the body control module and won't hold the settings. They checked the circuits and connections (and supposedly reperformed the 2014 recall repair) but concluded that the fault is in the BCM. They suggested replacing the BCM, at a cost of $600. I explained to the mechanic that I believe the failing BCM is due to the voltage fluctuations that prompted the recall, left the dealership, and called GM. A senior advisor at GM explained that they will not do anything about the apparent safety defect because the recall did not require replacement of the BCM.

- Worthington, OH, USA

Jan 262016

Saturn Aura 2008 tail lamp malfunction. I brought the vehicle to tustin GM for brake repair and brake light repair. I was told it was the brake light switch, I wasn't told anything about a recall. 2 weeks ago, I noticed my traction control, ESC and panic brake assistance were not working along with cruise control and a few other features. It occurred randomly after at least an hour of driving. I noticed after a few times this occurred my brake lights would illuminate while I was in park with the headlights off. I tested it, and they indeed turned off when I engaged my brakes, only to illuminate again when I disengaged my brakes. I was very nervous driving it home and had a few close calls on the city street stopping at stop lights. I brought this back to tustin GM's attention and they told me it's been corrected and it's now my responsibility to pay for the charges of fixing it. I refused and brought it to orange coast Buick GMC and Cadillac. They were unable to diagnose the issue and refused to believe that it had anything to do with the recall, wouldn't even check. I made a case with the manufacturer and they said my only option is to drive the unsafe vehicle until the problem occurs and then bring it into a dealer so they can find out the issue. They claim my problem does not correlate with the recall in any way shape or form, and have done everything short of calling me a liar. I now have a rental vehicle because I am depended on by my elders to bring them to and from appointments. I need my vehicle fixed, properly, and hopefully some type of cost assistance with the rental vehicle. The manufacturer also can't seem to tell me the exact date the recall was remedied. First they said January, then they said August. 763-228-4543.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Jan 302015

Low beans not working, replaced light bulbs, relays and fuse are good

- Carteret, NJ, USA

Aug 172014

Every 6-8 months I am having to replace both headlights as they are burning out on both sides. I'm not sure if this is a mechanical issue but while driving at night and having the lights burn out repeatedly, I am afraid of an accident occurring. Headlights should not need to be replaced so often. Is there a recall on the parts for the headlights" are there other people with the same issue"

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Jul 092014

Aura 6-cyl

2008 Saturn Aura. Consumer writes in regards to body control module connection system recall notice issues. The consumer stated she experienced a problem with the traction control warning light illuminating, prior to the recall. The consumer attached the recall notice.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jul 212011

Aura 4-cyl

The brake lights on my car engage and disengage in no relation to the brake pedal being depressed. While driving, the brake lights will illuminate on their own and turn off when the brake pedal is pushed. Sometimes, the brake lights will turn off if the brake pedal is pulled up in the opposite direction. Repairs have been attempted on the following occurrences: July 21, 2011, July 27, 2011, August 21, 2012, March, 29, 2013, September 24, 2014, November 19, 2014. Repairs have included the following: Brake light switch replaced (2 times); dielectric grease applied to BCM connectors (approximately 12 times); cruise control switches replaced; brake pedal home position recalibrated (2 times). The issue still has yet to be resolved, despite it being included in a GM recall from August 2014 number 13036, and having it twice been attempted under said recall. The GM dealership to which this car has been brought for the recall, colonial Buick Pontiac GMC in watertown, MA claims that they have done everything under the terms of the recall and if the problem persists than it must be paid by the customer. This is antithetical to the purpose of the recall, which is to fix the problem, despite the terms of the recall not fully addressing the error. The service people at the dealership claim that what should be fixed next is replacing the brake light switch, despite that having been replaced twice. The GM recall is not fully addressing the problem, and I, as the customer, should not be expected to pay for any costs associated with fixing the malfunctioning brake lights.

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Nov 012010

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while depressing the brake pedal, the brake lights would turn off and while the brakes were not engaged, the brake lights would stay illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the brake control module was faulty. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The contact indicated that the failure had occurred on multiple occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Oxford, NJ, USA

Feb 132014

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph at night time, the brake lights illuminated without the brake pedal being depressed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 102,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Amity , AR, USA

Oct 192013

Aura 4-cyl

It's hard to drive my car now the brakes power steering and light has to be changed frequently.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Jan 012014

This is an issue I experience a couple years ago and discussed this with the dealer. It has since returned and is getting worse. Rear brake lights are on while the car is driving and in neutral although the brake pedal is not depressed. Cruise control will not function once the break light turns on. When the pedal is pressed lightly and the breaks engage slowly, the break lights will turn off. Upon moderate to heavy breaking the lights will then turn back on. This is a significant safety issue. Upon releasing the breaks I will have approx. 7 seconds where I can use the cruise control and the break lights are off before the lights turn on again and disengages the cruise control. During that 7 seconds light breaking will still not turn on the break lights. This issue is intermittent but is appearing more regularly. During a recent 40 mile trip I could use the cruise control for a couple miles, then loose it for a couple more with the brake lights on, then regain normal functionality for a couple more, etc.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Oct 062012

Aura 6-cyl

First was door locks kept locking by itself resulting in dead battery. 2nd was traction light coming on at a stop light. 3rd was car alarm goes off when its not set. Most recently ESC active came on during light acceleration merging into traffic car would not get up to speed very nearly causing being rear ended by a semi. This happened 3 times luckily no one was killed. 5th the radio turns volume down by itself and you can hear computer or something electrical in dash. Dealer says no codes present. There may not be a code but all this is happening. Please help before someone is hurt or killed.

- Iva, SC, USA

Oct 182013

Aura 6-cyl

Brake lights come on when peddle is not pressed, also the cuts the cruise off without warning.

- Empire, CO, USA

Oct 132013

Aura 4-cyl

Rear brake lights were on when vehicle was driving although the brake pedal was not depressed. When the brake pedal was pressed lightly, the brake lights went off, and then if more pressure was applied to the brakes they would come on again. Problem appeared to be intermittent but was observed regularly. Vehicle was taken to dealership and service technician performed tsb fix, which was to lubricate BCM connector with dielectric lube and relearn brake pedal position sensor in BCM. Vehicle tested ok after repair. ***note*** this vehicle was involved in a low speed rear end collision in September 2012 where the other driver hit the rear of this car as several cars were braking for a stop light. It is very possible that this problem has been occurring for some time and that this problem contributed to the earlier accident.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Oct 082013

Aura 6-cyl

I was followed by a passerby to my work parking lot notifying me that the for the 8 miles they were behind me on the highway my brake lights were on. The next morning I noticed it again, could see through my rear view mirror that my brake light was illuminated. I pulled over to the side of the road, put my car in park and the break light remained on. I applied my brake foot pedal and the light turned off until I had the pedal to the floor, after I pulled my foot off the brake the brake light went back on. I verified that my parking brake was not engaged. This issue is not continuous to the point that it happens every time I drive my car but intermittent. The times I notice it are in the morning, most likely because I can see the light illuminate at that time of the day. The temperature those mornings were around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I have also noticed that when this issue is occurring my cruise control does not work, which makes sense considering my car thinks I am applying the brake. I have an appointment scheduled with my dealership to take a look at the issue and have also called GM. From the investigation I have done online I see that you were investigating this issue and I hope that you are continuing. I currently do not feel safe in this car and will be borrowing a friends vehicle for my daily commute until my scheduled appointment.

- Grafton, OH, USA

Jul 312012

At first, my 08 Saturn Aura's drivers seat stopped working, and I could no longer move it. I assumed the fuse was out, so I replaced it. Within one day, my seat stopped working again. I went to someone and they suggested I try a fuse with a higher voltage. They placed the fuse for me and my seat worked for a moment and then blew the fuse. I couldn't afford to take my car to the dealer and have them run a diagnostic, so I decided to deal with my seat not being able to move. A couple months after the first incident, the backseat door behind the drivers side would not unlock or lock every time by pressing the unlock button. Then, the driver's door stopped locking and unlocking. So every time I get out of my car and hit the button to lock my doors, I have to push the actual lock down on the driver's door, and then I have to open the back door and push that lock down. The most recent incident is the driver's side headlight and blinker. When my blinker and headlight first went out I did not think much of it, so I replaced the bulbs. A day or two later, the blinker and headlight were out again. I replaced the bulbs a second time, because I thought it may have just been a bad product I bought. The blinker and headlight worked again and then stopped a day later. Some mornings I get lucky and my doors will unlock or lock and sometimes my blinker and headlight will work, but by the time I get to where I am going they will stop working again. This is all very frustrating because something is always going wrong on this car. I am terrified one day something else on the driver's side like the steering wheel or the brakes will go out and could cost me my life.

- Clinton, MS, USA

Jul 242013

I had the recall fixed last year. I have already replaced rotors and control arm on this vehicle. I traded in a Saturn that I loved on this Saturn. I bought it new from the dealer but now my interior lights dim my front speakers in the doors come on and off on there own and the back door locks will not unlock right now I can pull the lock up to unlock it but I am worried that there is a short in the wires that may cause a fire I have small children in the backseat if there were a fire I am worried the time it would take to get them out. It is going to cost alot to take to the shop to have the panels taken apart to look for a loose wire. And still my not find the wire. Moved since I bought it so I am now trying to find someone to fix the problem hoping someone who has had this problem can tell me what it is so I can tell a shop. I love my car but not at my children's expense. I have seen the other complaints shown on this site. Need help!!!!

- Van Lear, KY, USA

Aug 172013

Aura 4-cyl

My brake lights were illuminating like the brake pedal was being depressed; however, the brake pedal was not being depressed. When I did depress the brake pedal, the brake lights would go off completely. Then, after approximately 10 seconds, they would come back on like they were being depressed. Also, the cruise control was not working. It would not set and hold the car at a specific speed.

- Mentor, OH, USA

Aug 052013

Aura 6-cyl

There is some sort of short in the electrical system. The cruise control is randomly disabled, any the brake lights are functioning backwards. They are on when not pressing the brakes, then go off when pressing the brakes. A few miles down the road, and the my cruise works again and the brake lights go back to normal. A few more miles, and the issues return. This is definitely some sort of electrical short. I just hope it doesn't wind up in an electrical fire. There are several reports of the same issue. Other complaints with the same/similar issues: NHTSA id number: 10535189 NHTSA id number: 10533881 NHTSA id number: 10525153 NHTSA id number: 10515803 NHTSA id number: 10508189

- Owosso, MI, USA

Jun 202012

I was driving on the highway with my cruise engaged. When all of a sudden, my cruise turned off. I look in my rear view mirror and I saw my third brake lights on. That's when I found out that my back brake lights come on randomly when I drive. When I use my brake pedals than my brake lights turn off. And when I accelerate, my brake lights turn on. I need some help. I have a 6months old in the car and I feel this could get us into an accident.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jun 032013

Aura 4-cyl

Noticed that the brake lights stay illuminated all the time regardless of brake pedal position.

- Livonia, MI, USA