NHTSA — Wheels Problems

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Aura’s issues with brakes, such as worn out rotors, isn’t as severe as the prior model year, but let’s just not start awarding them any brake awards just yet. Does that even exist? “The Brakies”?

One thing the 2008 does share with the 2007 is a recall of a busted gear shifter cable which can make it look like your car is in park, when the transmission is still engaged. You can only imagine what kind of fun that causes.

2.1

2008 Saturn Aura wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Aura:

2008 Saturn Aura Owner Comments

Apr 082016

Aura

Al of the sudden the power steering warning light went on April 8 when I started to work. There was no problem on the way to work, when I was driving home, the light went on again and I could not control the steering for several minutes. I pulled over for a minute until I got home. I spoke with my hubby who said I should call the dealer. We proceeded to check the internet for any other problems that had been reported to find that this is a common problem. I am now afraid to drive the car because the steering went out of control and I could not. I treasure my life. I bought this car used 2 years ago and had problems in turning-a clicking when I turned right or left-this was supposedly fixed by the garage. Can this be fixed--that is the power steering problem and paid for by the dealer" oh I was on an intercity street going straight. Can the dealer buy the car back from me or pay for the repairs? as I mentioned, I am now afraid to drive the car. Should I take it into the dealer or garage or wait to talk with you"

- Brunswick, NY, USA

Mar 052013

Aura 6-cyl

I purchased and 08 Aura about 1.5 years ago for my teenage daughter. Other than a few minor problems the car was fine. A couple of months ago she experienced a dead battery and was able to have a friend "jump start" the car and as for the battery, it has been fine since. The problem was that the tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) was inoperative and would not reset manually. These TPMS, I believe, came about due to the inability to be able to visually see that a tire is "low" with todays "run flat', low profile, and stiffer sidewall, tires and that the majority of drivers do not know how to check tire pressure anyway. I was therefore concerned about my daughters safety as well as other that could be involved in a crash that resulted from poor handling or worse, an overheated tire and blowout. I did some searching and discovered that GM had issued a technical service bulletin (tsb) explaining that the TPMS failure was due to a "low voltage" incident that causes the control module to lose memory. The fix, according to the tsb, was to reprogram the module with updated software. This being a known condition and safety concern, I did not expect to have to pay for the repair. I contacted GM who refused to cover the repair and I ultimately paid about $60. My concern is that this is a safety concern on multiple vehicles from GM including most of the 08 Saturn line as well as the Pontiac G5 and G6, and Chevy cobalt. I also found that NHTSA found reason for recall on some GM SUV's a couple of years ago due to a programming error on the TPMS which is what this is. As these 08 cars age they are now reaching the expected life of their battery and replacing them which is causing the TPMS system to be inoperative. I believe that GM should for sake of the safety of their customers recall these affected cars and prevent future accidents. Some may have already happened.

- Trinity, NC, USA