2009 Saturn Aura engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Saturn Aura:

2009 Saturn Aura Owner Comments

Aug 052016

For two days when starting it made a weird noise but it sounded like the fan to the A/C might be going. Then my warning gauges started appearing warning of my air bag and oil. The next time I went to start the car the car would not start at all and the lights inside the car flashed and the car made a strange noise.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Feb 062015

Aura 4-cyl

The security system randomly decides the car is being stolen and locks down the engine entirely until you unplug the battery. Happens about every other week and the dealership says they don't know why it would do that so they can't do anything about it. The auto start no longer works now as a result.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 292014

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the check engine light illuminated as the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the timing chain needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 100,600.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Jun 132011

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated while traveling 20 mph on a highway the vehicle failed to accelerate beyond 20 mph. The contact drove onto the emergency lane and restarted the vehicle; however, it did not accelerate over 20 mph. The vehicle resumed to its normal acceleration after it was restarted a third time. The failure occurred on three occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. There was no diagnostic test performed. The failure and current mileage were 56,000.

- Ellenburg, WA, USA

Jun 092014

Vehicle continues to lose power driving on highway over 40 mph. Aaa contacted because the vehicle would not start. Aaa tested vehicle and noted that battery was good, alternator was good. Vehicle struggles to start at ignition. Vehicle is part of recall but when I run VIN at GM site it states my vehicle does not have an active recall. ESC and ABS light are always turning on and engine attempt to shut off at high speeds on fwy. Again, I call the dealer and my VIN is not part of active recall yet all safety and life threatening indications are there. Please advise.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Dec 062013

Aura 4-cyl

On 12/06/2013 my pregnant daughter, my 15 year old and 2 year old daughter were driving home in our 2009 Saturn Aura. As she began to turn into a busy highway, the engine began to shake and the vehicle suddenly stopped mid turn in the middle of a busy intersection/hwy. Passer drivers pulled over and helped push my girls to safety. Aaa was contacted and the vehicle was towed to my home. I contacted the dealer and I was informed that my car was no longer under warranty and that I would have to cover the costs of servicing the car. The vehicle continues to lose power and try to shut off at certain speeds. ABS and traction lights come off and on, and keys get stuck in the ignition. Unexpected shut off occurred again on 12/17/2013.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Feb 262014

Aura 4-cyl

I was making a left turn onto a one way. Traffic was clear enough to enter. My car sputtered and the ESC service light came on. Then service traction light. Then check engine light. I stepped off the gas then stepped back on it. The car then died. I was turning into 40 miles per hour traffic. I thought fast because there were 3 vehicles approaching quickly behind me. I hit the hazard lights. The car that was approaching slammed on brakes and blew at me in frustration. We sat in the middle of the street for several minutes. When I finally got the car to start again it jerked really hard when putting it into gear. I could not get the car to go past 25 miles per hour in 40 mph traffic. This all happened while my 7 year old son was in the back seat. I am afraid of my car! its been to the dealership twice. Each time its giving them the same error code and they are not sure whats going on with the vehicle. I have contacted GM customer service regarding the issue. I have a claim number and was told I would be contacted the next day. Its now two days later and no one from GM customer service has contacted me. I am now several hundred dollars in the hole because of this. Why is there no recall. I fear that my vehicle will get us in a terrible accident considering I take the highway to work daily. What am I to do?

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Dec 242013

Aura 4-cyl

Driving at 60 mph, the vehicle lost forward momentum and the tachometer indicated 5000+ rpms. I was able to get to the shoulder and call for a tow truck. After extensive research on-line and with personal contacts which work for a GM dealer, it is most likely the 3-5-R wave plate which has rendered the vehicle hazardous to drive. After towing home and letting the vehicle sit it started fine but it has a new whining sound coming from the engine. Shifting from park to reverse results in mixed results. Some instances it will actually shift into reverse and propel the vehicle backwards. Shifting to drive I have the same mixed results, with no forward movement noted on most occasions. The harrowing experience of losing drive while at 60 mph is enough of a safety concern to warrant further exploration into a recall of the vehicles affected with the same transmission (6T70/6T75) which are installed in various models of GM products since 2007. The common repair varies from replacement of the defective wave plate to complete transmission replacement. Either option is very costly to the consumer and with a "known" defect that affects GM vehicles with as little as 40,000 miles on them.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Oct 222013

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The vehicle restarted independently and simultaneously with the intermittent release of all four automated door locks. The contact continued to drive with caution. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue and informed the contact that there was not a recall related to the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Jun 012013

Aura 4-cyl

The service traction light came on and the car began to shudder/lurch, the engine light came on but both went off when car turned off and restarted, taken to dealer who said might be fuel injection but didn't repair because couldn't get a read on computer. Dealer said to continue to drive until lights stayed on because they couldn't diagnose problem; two months later car in shop for almost 3 weeks - cracked heads per dealer and timing belt. 2 weeks later service traction light back on and car is shuddering and lurching both while driving and idling.

- Louisville, KY, USA