NHTSA — Steering Problems

2009 Saturn Aura (Page 2 of 5)

2009 Saturn Aura steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Saturn Aura:

2009 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Sep 162014

Aura 4-cyl

The power steering failed and a warning message appeared on the dash message. I contacted GM since this model is known to have this problem, and they said my VIN is not one that should have the issue and there are no repairs available for it. I cannot afford to replace everything on my own and I am scared of the car now. Please help!

- Portland, OR, USA

Apr 092015

Aura 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel vibrated aggressively and the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the torque control sensor failed. As a result, the dealer installed a sensor kit and replaced the steering shaft. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 145,940. Updated 5/26/15 updated 06/04/15

- Orr, MN, USA

Apr 092015

Aura

Traveling down the road at highway speed the power steering went out and we received a 'service power steering' message. It was discovered that the torque sensor in the steering column needed to be replaced. This was a recall on several 2009 Saturn Auras outside of my VIN number"!? why wasn't my VIN included!?!"!

- Orr, MN, USA

Apr 122015

Aura 4-cyl

As I pulled out of a parking lot to go left, my power steering went off. "ESC" came up in the message window, then "power steering" showed up. I could hardly turn the wheel. I pulled into a driveway, then drove home (which was only a block away). The car was difficult to turn the whole time. I parked in my garage, then wanted to check the car a few minutes later. I pulled out again then was able to steer with no problem. The notifications were gone. I rented a car for safety. When I called a dealer to ask about the recall I saw online for GM and Saturn, the receptionist told me it didn't affect my vehicle, per the VIN. I find it hard to believe that, coincidentally, the recalled issue is happening to my vehicle but I can't have it repaired per the GM recall.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Apr 062015

Aura 4-cyl

I was making a right turn and the power steering failed and a warning message appeared on the dash message. I contacted GM since this model is known to have this problem, and they said my VIN is not one that should have the issue and there are no repairs available for it. I cannot afford to replace everything on my own and I am scared of the car now. Please help!

- Rainelle, WV, USA

Mar 092015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn, which prevented the vehicle from completing the left turn. The contact mentioned that the slippery warning light illuminated as the failure occurred. The contact was able to drive the vehicle home. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer advised that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Rockford , IL, USA

Mar 202015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving at approximately 10 mph and making a right turn, the power steering seized and the power steering light illuminated. The failure occurred once. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 37,000.

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

Mar 062015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving 25 mph and attempting to make a left or right turn, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Oak Forest, IL, USA

Feb 152014

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving at 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The electronic stability control warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the power steering, service ESC and ESC off warnings were displayed on the message board. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000. The VIN was not available.

- Pahrump, NV, USA

Mar 022015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving at various speeds and attempting to make a left turn, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and advised the contact that the VIN was not affected by NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 131,000.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Mar 122015

Aura 4-cyl

Total loss of power steering without warning... recall on2007to June OF2008 models campaign # 14V153000 this car was built after this date.. but has same issue.

- Hicksville, NY, USA

Feb 132015

Aura

The power steering stopped working and the car went to manual steering. Worked with GM customer service for direction on what to do. Vehicle at dealer for diagnosis and repair on 3/09/15. Problem identified as torque sensor failure. GM will not provide any support for the dealer or myself to repair the car. Reason: VIN is not in recall range. The problem I have is the same as early models. It appears that the manufacturer needs to look at extending the recall or at the least get some good parts into their cars. I also want to be sure this VIN is documented as an actual failure.

- Independence, OH, USA

Feb 222015

Aura 4-cyl

I was driving along the road and then the steering started to get real tight and then I received the message on the dash that there was a problem with the power steering and the ESC needed service. I took the car to a GM dealership and was told that it would cost $1700 to fix the problem. I have looked at all of the other recalls and see that there was a recall for the same problem and tried to see if Saturn/GM would fix the issue under the recalls and was notified that since I was out of warranty they could not do anything but contact the dealer that I talked to and see if they could help me with the cost of the repairs. It has now been about a week after I was told I should hear something back and still have not heard anything. I am still driving around without any power steering due to not being able to pay the repair cost. If there is this aprox. 65 people that have reported this problem on this site then there is most likely more that are having the same issue that have not reported and Saturn/GM should do something about fixing the problem.

- Dover, DE, USA

Nov 012014

Aura

My car has been clicking off the electrical power steering randomly since about last December or earlier and when the steering turns off then my electric stability control turns off and the ABS brakes turn off all at the same time I am aware there is a recall for many of the Saturn Auras out there but my VIN doesn't show a recall for this particular car. If there is any information about this for my car in particular it would be of great help.

- Lake In The Hills, IL, USA

Feb 162015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While reversing at a low speed, the steering wheel seized. The contact stated that the power steering warning was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 158,000.updated 5/28/15

- Lanark, IL, USA

Feb 272015

Aura

I was driving Friday morning on my way to work on I75 freeway. As I was driving my dashboard light came on "power steering" & "service ESC" my steering wheel was so hard to turn as I had to go around the highway curves. I slowly merged over to the slow lane. When I got to work I tried to park my Saturn the wheel was so hard for me turn that I couldn't park it correctly. When I got off work my steering wheel was normal so I drove it home. The very next evening I was on the freeway again I696 and I was driving with the height traffic and once again my power steering went out again. I did my research and found that Saturn Auras has recalls on them about the power steering. I contacted them for help and they said they do have recalls for this problem just my VIN not under the recall so they won't acknowledge my Saturn under this recall. If I'm having the same exact problem why is my vehicle not considered? this is dangerous and I need my car fixed.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Feb 262015

Aura 4-cyl

Steering wheel is shaking while sitting at a stop and also while driving. Upon start up of vehicle, power steering, service ESC and traction control lights illuminate. After turning the vehicle off and then on again, lights go away, but steering wheel still shakes. Vehicle is sometimes hard to turn. Steering wheel does not shake if I turn it to the right while at a stand still. Vehicles VIN is not included in the recent recall with this problem. This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed after reading all of the other complaints on the same problem. I have to drive 2 small children around daily as part of my job, and this is not safe and putting us at risk of an accident. Please look into this a demand a recall.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Feb 212015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the power steering seized. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering); however, the VIN was not included. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Birmingham, OH, USA

Feb 142015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that when reversing, the power steering warning light illuminated and the power steering failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000.

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Oct 302014

Aura 4-cyl

As my daughter was leaving a costco parking lot the steering wheel locked as she was making a right turn causing her to stop immediately and some one ran right into my car. Since then the steering will locks abruptly while driving and ill have to turn the car off and when I turn it back on its not locked anymore. When this happens the steering column will begin to shake really bad! please research this I don't feel safe driving this car with two small children.

- Detroit, MI, USA