NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Saturn Ion (Page 3 of 12)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the 2004 Saturn Ion: defective transmission, deadly ignition switch, temperamental power steering and a cheap plastic exterior that won’t protect you in a crash. What more could you want?

The 2004 Ion was part of GM’s massive ignition switch recall where it was revealed they waited 10 years – and let 13 people die – before doing anything about it. It also features GM’s now infamous VTi continuously variable transmission. Let me tell you, the only thing the VTi did continuously was fail on its owners. GM scrapped it after only two model years.

2004 Saturn Ion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Saturn Ion:

2004 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 12)

Jun 202013

Ion 4-cyl

Driver side door starting in June '13, I noticed my driver side window panel and door lock not working properly. The driver door lock is now not working at all July '14 and the window panel is intermittent. I'm noticing the panel is getting warm!

- Lorton, VA, USA

Jun 192014

Ion

Took my Saturn in yesterday for the recall on the ignition switch-got a phone call from the dealer saying that the housing for the switch also needs replacing, but GM will not cover it and I need to pay for that part and the labor. The switch can not be replaced unless this housing is replaced, but now they want me to pay for it even though the recall says this should be at no cost to me. I called GM and they are saying that the housing is not covered in the recall. According to the recall information, I should be able to get reimbursed for having to replace the switch, but first I had to replace it again, which is what I was trying to do. What can I do about this" it does not make since to me. Have me do the recall and then attach a charge for it because you can not do it unless you replace something else. Is the not a problem of a "causal part"" if this not a problem for your Agency, please refer me to an Agency that can handle this. I am currently awaiting more information from the GM dealer, fremont Chevrolet. As of now, they have my Saturn torn apart and are "thinking" of what they can do for me.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jun 182014

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact stated she had her vehicle serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The contact mentioned that when she came to pick up the vehicle the exhaust pipe was visibly on the floor. The contact immediately informed the service manager since the vehicle was not in that condition prior to the repairs. The service manager agreed to repair the failure by reattaching one side of the exhaust pipe with a wire hanger. The contact reluctantly took the vehicle home and while on the way home the air bag, alternator and battery light illuminated on the instrumental panel. Shortly after the lights illuminated, the vehicle stalled. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Homestead , PA, USA

Jun 022014

Ion 4-cyl

Letter from senator nelson on behalf of constituent re his mother's Saturn Ion that has been recalled, due to ignition switch default. The consumer was informed, the parts were not available. The consumer was getting the run-around regarding the availability of parts.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jan 032014

Ion 4-cyl

2004 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice and requests reimbursement for repairs. The consumer stated he/she experienced issues with the vehicle, prior to the recall being issued, but was always told the vehicle was not under warranty. The consumer was almost involved in several accidents, due to the defect. The ignition switch was eventually replaced.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jun 022014

Ion 4-cyl

2004 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice information. The consumer was informed, the parts were not available.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jul 052013

Ion 4-cyl

2004 Saturn Ion. Consumer requests reimbursement for repairs. According to the invoice, the ignition cylinder was replaced.

- Plainwell, MI, USA

Jun 032014

Ion 4-cyl

I am very frustrated at the pace of the recall for the Saturn Ion, recalls 14V047 and 14V171. I've contacted the local dealer several times and called the GM customer assistance line with no satisfaction. There have been no parts available for months and I've been told that there is a possibility that some might be available in 4 weeks. This is not satisfactory.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jan 012007

Ion

Around '06, the key started sticking and you could not either start the car (I've had several tows), or could not get the key out of the car (it was stuck on locked). I got it fixed on 2/13 07 with a new ignition switch at a Saturn dealer. It never really worked correctly. It kept doing the same thing, so I took it into the dealer in may of 2012. They put in a "BCM"?? and reprogrammed. Still did the same thing. Then a few months ago, I heard about the recall program. I got my car fixed for the recall on 4/15/14. My claim for paying $700 in may of 2012 was denied. My car still sticks when trying to start, or trying to get the key out of the ignition. I think this whole thing is your fault. I want to be reimbursed for the $700 I spent in may, and get my car in again and get it fixed once and for all!!

- Plano, TX, USA

Mar 052014

Ion 4-cyl

TL * the contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the vehicle would make a loud noise whenever she made a turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. In addition, the contact stated that the windshield wiper malfunctioned. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 89,000 and the current mileage was 89,447. Updated 08/19/14 the consumer stated shortly after picking the vehicle up from the dealer, they key became stuck in the ignition and the vehicle would not turn off all of the electrical switches started going haywire, along with different warning signs.. the consumer returned to the dealer, where an inspection revealed the solenoid was damaged. A month prior, the ignition switch was replaced. Also, when the consumers son attempted to use the jack, to change the tire, the jack bent and the vehicle almost collapsed on her son's foot. Updated 11/19/14

- Valley Cottage, NY, USA

Mar 172014

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact received the recall notification related to NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The contact stated that the repair was not taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. The dealer indicated that the parts were not available. Contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer had not been contacted.

- Macon, GA, USA

Apr 252014

Ion 4-cyl

My Saturn has had problems with the A/C unit the dial has gotten to were it won't work and the defrost doesn't work. It has been like that for about 7 yrs. My has car has cut off on me twice. Once this year and last year. Now the most recent one was on April 25 2014. It was around 3:30 pm. Here in richmond va it was a really bad thunder and lighting storm. I started to smell a burning smell, the brakes were acting strange I was able to stop at stop light and while I was a red light I heard a high pitched beeping sound and the warning lights came on. My car was towed. And the henrico county beat aaa to pull it to royal Chevy. The cops had my placed at impound lot. And I finally did it towed to royal Chevy on April 26 2014. Royal Chevy has agreed to pay for my rental. I saw on this website there are 10 recalls on here and GM has only told me about 2 of the recalls not of the other 8.

- Richmond , VA, USA

May 282014

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that after having repairs performed for NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system), the vehicle failed to start and after numerous attempts, the vehicle was able to start. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled three times and the battery light, the oil pressure, the air bag and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was unknown.

- Mcminnville, OR, USA

May 082014

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the key became lodged in the igtion switch and was unable to release. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was repaired under recall NHTSA campaign number 14V171000 (electrical system); however, the remedy failed to repaired the problem. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 126,184.

- Gap, PA, USA

Apr 152014

Ion 4-cyl

When I start my car I get a message that days power steering service vehicle. That I loose all dash lights occasionally radio and air I do not regain power steering or lights for about 5-10 minutes. I can hear a change in the engine when it is regained. Once it's done I can drive perfectly normal. My check engine light is on and off. When I turn my car off the lights are there during the fit and off when the car is on. All the codes thrown are electrical. Help!

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 182014

Ion 4-cyl

I received recalls beginning in April 2014 regarding the ignition switch, then one regarding the ignition cylinder. Both recalls have caused injury or death. I now understand that there is also a recall on the power steering. (3 open recalls in all) I contacted my local Chevrolet dealer as instructed on April 18th and have been back and forth with both the dealership and Saturn customer assistance @ 800-553-6000. I was issued a case# 71-1300074576 but my family is still driving the car. We don't feel safe driving the car but was told that there was no room to leave it at the dealership so I have to wait until June. This is unacceptable! I understand that a loaner can be provided. I want to drop the car off somewhere and pick up a safe vehicle for my family to drive until the repairs can be made.

- Jefferson Hills, PA, USA

May 062014

Ion 4-cyl

Driving on the Florida turnpike northbound on my way to work on May 6, 2014, going about 55 mph, when the car turned off while in the center lane. I had followed all the procedures that GM instructed for recall #14V-047 using the key without ring our additional keys. I have been dealing with this issue since the day of purchase back in 2007. I have presented this issue to the dealer numerous times. Fortunately, I was able to stop the car safely, remove the key, placed it back in the ignition and the car started.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 102014

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the repair was not taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. The dealer indicated that the parts were not available. The contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer had not been contacted. Kmj

- Saginew, MI, USA

Jan 132014

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and was informed that the parts were not available. The contact felt that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable time for repair. The contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer was not contacted.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Feb 202014

Ion

2004 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch problems. The consumer stated his vehicle flipped two times and slid several feet. The key was towed a junk yard, where the key was still stuck in the ignition. The vehicle was totaled. The consumer suffered serious injuries.

- San Diego, CA, USA