- August 25: GM Wins Zach Stevens Ignition Switch Trial news | 61 days ago
- August 21: Texas Lawsuit Says GM Ignition Switch Caused Fatal Crash news | 65 days ago
2004 Saturn Ion
CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the 2004 Saturn Ion: defective transmission, deadly ignition switch, temperamental power steering and a cheap plastic exterior that won’t protect you in a crash. What more could you want?
The 2004 Ion was part of GM’s massive ignition switch recall where it was revealed they waited 10 years – and let 13 people die – before doing anything about it. It also features GM’s now infamous VTi continuously variable transmission. Let me tell you, the only thing the VTi did continuously was fail on its owners. GM scrapped it after only two model years.
Worst 2004 Ion engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- cracked cylinder head1
- engine runs for only a few seconds, then stops1
- engine stalls suddenly when driving1
- NHTSA: Engine22
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control18
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling17
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine11
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal4
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline2
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Linkages1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Saturn Ion Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Ion compares to other years?
Check out our Saturn Ion overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Ion.