Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Ion still had power steering issues and a defective ignition switch leftover from previous model years, but hey – at least Saturn improved some of its safety rating to marginal, right? Baby steps.

If you had to buy a Saturn Ion – and I would question why anyone would even consider it – I suppose the 2005 could be considered the best of a bad bunch? I mean, GM did finally get rid of that awful VTi transmission, and both the power steering problems and ignition switch defect that plagued owners were recalled. The problem is they waited 10 years to recall the ignition and let over 30,000 warranty claims get filed before they bothered to fix the power steering. So you kind of have to wonder, is GM making these fixes to keep owners safe or just to keep government lawyers from taking all their money? You be the judge.

2005 Saturn Ion miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Ion:

2005 Saturn Ion Owner Comments

Nov 052015

The car was driven to Chevrolet and repairs were done but car would not start, we were told it had a bad computor and was given the option to purchase a 1600 dollar unit from Chevrolet, we did not have the funds. We got a computor after the told us this was not a related issue. Then towed it back for a third to to be to its not under warranty. We dont have money for an attorney and Chevrolet and Saturn refuses to correct there srew up. We drove the vehical in and they want us to to pull it out we dont know what to do.

- Homestead, FL, USA

May 012014

Ion 4-cyl

Took my Saturn 2005 to integrity Chevrolet in chattanooga, tn 4235359455 according to instructions on recall letter (13454) and received a rental (was told it could take weeks ) 2 days later got a message that my car was miraculously fixed. Josh baugh stated my car was ready and repaired.confused, went to get my car and upon arriving at my home, the key wouldn't come out of the ignition again.contacted josh baugh again and he said to bring the car by when I got a chance.received a call from GM stating the part for my car was in and to bring the car to be repaired.was just told by the wonderful dealership car was repaired. Took my car back and no repairs had been done.they lied. Left my car again and about a week later they call and I go to pick it up.told me the battery was dead I needed to buy another one I dont think so because they were the ones that ran the battery down by leaving the key in the ignition (I just happened to stop by got something out of my car a day after I left it opened the door there was the key still stuck in the ignition.I also submitted receipts in June of 2014 for ignition replacement for the same car. No response resubmitted receipts Dec 2014 josh baugh email needed the original receipts.February 5th 2015 took the receipts and said the receipts needed to have the VIN # but they could see it had my name and 2005 Saturn and the ignition had to replaced by lock and key comp because key was stuck and run battery down (at 10:30 at night)they could write the VIN # in for me. To my surprise (not really) a message the reimbursement couldn't be done because wasn't a VIN # on receipt its not like we are all trying to get reimbursed for something we didn't pay for or some government bailout!I am contacting you to let you know this dealership lied and continues to try to prevent customers from receiving the promises of the recall.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jan 012014

This is not the first problem I have had with this vehicle nor was it the last. Just one that I have documented. The vehicle completely would not start and I had to have it towed to epperly tire and auto. The day before the car shut off while I was at a red light and it took cranking multiple times before I could get it to start again. I was told by epperly that this was because I needed a new starter and the wiring in my vehicle needed to be replaced. I got all needed repairs. This did not fix the issue, the vehicle is still shutting off while I am driving.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Dec 012014

Ion 4-cyl

There was not an accident. The key will not come out of the ignition when you turn the key back, you have to wait for a while then it will finally come out. This is after the recall that fixes the ignition switch.

- Holland Patent, NY, USA

Mar 042014

Ignition switch will not turn off and power steering quits on occasions.

- Washington, DC, USA

Dec 082012

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering went out.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 242010

Ion 4-cyl

In ambient temperature of 29 degrees, my vehicle would not start. Passlock light was blinking for 10 minutes and then stopped. After that, I was able to start the car. This has happened before.

- Durham, NC, USA

Aug 062010

Ion 4-cyl

I own a 2005 Saturn Ion. The key continues to get stuck in the ignition. 3 different times now. I have a boat load of paper work from different shops, from them fixing (?) my car, starting with Saturn, than I had to go to the GMC dealership, due to Saturn being closed. Also, the car has stalled 3 times while I was driving it. It's an automatic. I went on line to ask a Saturn mechanic what can I do to get this fixed, and basically nothing. He said there would not be a recall due to Saturn being closed now, and it's not a safety issue. I don't know what to do if I'm unable to get it to a GMC dealership, unless there is one open 24/7 in the denver area. I'm at my whits end. I'm reporting the most recent incident, the 1st was in 2007.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jul 012006

Ion 4-cyl

I have a 2005 Saturn Ion. The ignition switch is defective. It randomly decides to not start on any day. I can drive to the gas station five miles down the road, get gas, get back in my car, and it not start. Some days my car will not start for two consecutive days, and then all of a sudden it will crank! started right after warranty expired and continues to do so.

- Moorinsport, LA, USA

Sep 152005

Ion 4-cyl

Shifter knob came detached during street driving.

- Centennial, CO, USA