Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Ion still had power steering issues and a defective ignition switch leftover from previous model years, but hey – at least Saturn improved some of its safety rating to marginal, right? Baby steps.

If you had to buy a Saturn Ion – and I would question why anyone would even consider it – I suppose the 2005 could be considered the best of a bad bunch? I mean, GM did finally get rid of that awful VTi transmission, and both the power steering problems and ignition switch defect that plagued owners were recalled. The problem is they waited 10 years to recall the ignition and let over 30,000 warranty claims get filed before they bothered to fix the power steering. So you kind of have to wonder, is GM making these fixes to keep owners safe or just to keep government lawyers from taking all their money? You be the judge.

2005 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Ion:

2005 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 13 of 13)

Aug 292005

Ion 4-cyl

I was attempting to change lines on md I-97 North bound from the slow right lane to the fast lane left lane. When a car in the fast lane speed up which never allowed me to change lanes, I continued to travel in the same slow right lane. Within 1 minute after that action of the attempted lane change, I experienced the steering wheel shaking erratically and trying to pull to the right. Although the car was going straight, the steering wheel kept pulling to the right. Eventually, the car started fishing tailing or swerving. When I tried to slow the car down, the sensitivity of the steering wheel over compensated for the minor turning of the steering wheel and basically took over the steering from me. This action of the car placed me into a position in which I could not fully recover on my own and made the car spin out of control facing the opposite direction and subsequently Y causing an head-on collision.

- Baltimore, MD, USA