NHTSA — Steering Problems

2005 Saturn Ion (Page 13 of 13)

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ion still had power steering issues and a defective ignition switch leftover from previous model years, but hey – at least Saturn improved some of its safety rating to marginal, right? Baby steps.

If you had to buy a Saturn Ion – and I would question why anyone would even consider it – I suppose the 2005 could be considered the best of a bad bunch? I mean, GM did finally get rid of that awful VTi transmission, and both the power steering problems and ignition switch defect that plagued owners were recalled. The problem is they waited 10 years to recall the ignition and let over 30,000 warranty claims get filed before they bothered to fix the power steering. So you kind of have to wonder, is GM making these fixes to keep owners safe or just to keep government lawyers from taking all their money? You be the judge.

2005 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Ion:

2005 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 13 of 13)

Jan 102007

Ion 4-cyl

I sent a letter to GM it was passed to Saturn Corp. Ongoing problems never fixed.started at 19000 miles and continue with mileage at 31000. 2 different service depts. Still have the problems. Blown off by Saturn Corp. By rude customer service. First service visit after specifically making an appointment for this lemon resulted in a car wash. The noise tech was not in. I drove 40 miles for a car wash? never went back. Saturn sent a customer satisfaction survey and I replied; "call me". they instructed me to go to another dealer. I did and the service advisor told me it was my rotors making the noise. He then tried to charge me for the repair!!! the vehicle is under warranty. He then said that they will do it at no charge after I protested. I received the car back, said thank you and left. When I got about a mile from the dealership, the problems were still there (noise and vibration from the front passenger side of the vehicle). I called him from my cell phone and told him and he said ;"ok, we will get you in sometime during the week so we can spend more time with it". could you imagine how I would have felt if I had actually agreed to pay? I was very upset. Saturn Corp. Called me after about 2 weeks and asked me how it went and I told them it did not go well. They contacted the service manager and after a while, he called me. I told him that I would come back in after the holidays. I called him to set an appointment just after the new year. We set one up on a Saturday morning at the dealership. I showed up, he did not. I was taken care of by a service advisor. After checking the car out, he said that they needed to change the "rack". so, I had to come back again. I picked it up the next day. Here is the bottom line; now the car drifts, to the right to be exact, oh, and my vibration is still there along with the noise in the front end. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle. I believe it is a lemon or there is something else someone is not telling me!

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Aug 292005

Ion 4-cyl

I was attempting to change lines on md I-97 North bound from the slow right lane to the fast lane left lane. When a car in the fast lane speed up which never allowed me to change lanes, I continued to travel in the same slow right lane. Within 1 minute after that action of the attempted lane change, I experienced the steering wheel shaking erratically and trying to pull to the right. Although the car was going straight, the steering wheel kept pulling to the right. Eventually, the car started fishing tailing or swerving. When I tried to slow the car down, the sensitivity of the steering wheel over compensated for the minor turning of the steering wheel and basically took over the steering from me. This action of the car placed me into a position in which I could not fully recover on my own and made the car spin out of control facing the opposite direction and subsequently Y causing an head-on collision.

- Baltimore, MD, USA