2005 Saturn Ion steering NHTSA complaints: Steering:Electric Power Assist System

NHTSA — Steering: Electric Power Assist System Problems

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ion still had power steering issues and a defective ignition switch leftover from previous model years, but hey – at least Saturn improved some of its safety rating to marginal, right? Baby steps.

If you had to buy a Saturn Ion – and I would question why anyone would even consider it – I suppose the 2005 could be considered the best of a bad bunch? I mean, GM did finally get rid of that awful VTi transmission, and both the power steering problems and ignition switch defect that plagued owners were recalled. The problem is they waited 10 years to recall the ignition and let over 30,000 warranty claims get filed before they bothered to fix the power steering. So you kind of have to wonder, is GM making these fixes to keep owners safe or just to keep government lawyers from taking all their money? You be the judge.

2.9

2005 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Ion:

2005 Saturn Ion Owner Comments

May 012007

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering on my 2005 Saturn Ion completely stopped working right at about 37000, right after the warranty expired. I tried to have it fixed, but it's a new technology Saturn implemented, (state of the art electronic power steering system), and it will cost $1100 to fix it. My car is fairly new still, and Saturn Corp. Refuses to meet with me in the middle on the cost. Without power steering, my car is unsafe to drive, and driving to work and back is a real challenge, and a dangerous challenge, but I cannot afford the cost of fixing it. ***Saturn service advisor admitted to me that lots of the Ions are having this problem.***

- Mesa, AZ, USA