NHTSA — Equipment Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: When it comes to the 2006 Ion, the biggest questions are: what big problem is going to pop up next? And how long until GM chooses to address it?

The 2006 Ion has a defective ignition switch that gave owners fits. Their keys would get stuck in the ignition, the engine wouldn’t shut off or in some cases it would shut off at the most dangerous time. The ignition was eventually recalled as part of one of the largest recalls of all-time , but it took GM 10 years to do it. Then there’s this car’s temperamental power steering which is prone to stop working randomly while driving. It too was eventually recalled, even if GM took their sweet time about it.

Lastly, it turns out a car built with plastic doors, fenders and bumpers – while fun for a game of “shopping cart bocce” – is horrible for safety.

2.8

2006 Saturn Ion accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Saturn Ion:

2006 Saturn Ion Owner Comments

Apr 122011

Ion 4-cyl

My 2006 Saturn Ion will not start every time I try to turn it on. The battery has been replaced and is not the cause of the issue because everything in my car still has power but the ignition will not turn over. I took to the Saturn dealership after this has happened to me several times and I was told that my ignition switch needs to be replaced. After doing some research online this seems to be a common issue with this make and model of car. This is a very inconvenient problem to have with your car. Having to worry if it will start in the morning or not and then how to go about your day if it does not start trying to find a ride to work or even possibly missing work because your car wont start because of a common ignition problem on the manufacturers side. I feel that this issue needs to be placed on the recall list..so that we as consumers can have this very common issue fixed with out cost to us..since we already invested money into a vehicle we expect to work.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Jul 162008

Ion

The 2006 Saturn Ion ignition locked on with the car running in park. This seems to be a chronic problem with Saturn Ions. The vehicle can not be turned off and the key can not be removed. It gets completely locked in place. The vehicle remains running, wasting gas and could be a safety hazard if something else is happening and the vehicle must be shut off quickly and can't. the only way to shut the vehicle off is to disconnect the battery and pull an ignition fuse. The key remains locked in place. I'm putting this under 'fuel system-other' because the ignition turns the fuel system on and off. I originally parked and tried to shut the vehicle off because I smelled fuel. Luckily it was coming from somewhere else and was just in the air. But it was scary to smell fuel and not be able to shut the vehicle off.

- Cranford, NJ, USA