Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: When it comes to the 2006 Ion, the biggest questions are: what big problem is going to pop up next? And how long until GM chooses to address it?

The 2006 Ion has a defective ignition switch that gave owners fits. Their keys would get stuck in the ignition, the engine wouldn’t shut off or in some cases it would shut off at the most dangerous time. The ignition was eventually recalled as part of one of the largest recalls of all-time , but it took GM 10 years to do it. Then there’s this car’s temperamental power steering which is prone to stop working randomly while driving. It too was eventually recalled, even if GM took their sweet time about it.

Lastly, it turns out a car built with plastic doors, fenders and bumpers – while fun for a game of “shopping cart bocce” – is horrible for safety.

2006 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Saturn Ion:

2006 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 11 of 25)

Oct 262010

Ion 4-cyl

Driving down the freeway the chime sounded and the "pwr str" message displays in the message center. The power steering no longer works. After muscling the vehicle home I parked it and started it the next morning and the vehicle was back to normal. Had an identical experience on the freeway a week later. The dealership doesn't believe me because it's back to normal when I take it to them.

- Harbor City, CA, USA

Sep 232011

Ion 4-cyl

After being on the road in moderate city traffic on a clear day for approximately 5 minutes, I heard an audible alert then the visual alert "pwr str" appeared on the dashboard display, and I no longer had power steering. I continued my 35+ mile drive home, making one stop on the way. When I restarted the car after that stop, the power steering was once again working. The problem did not recur for several days, then happened again. For the past 25 days or so, the problem happens every time the car is running, sometimes happening after having traveled only 100 feet and sometimes not happening until well after that. This is a definite safety concern. In the event the steering failed while a corner was being negotiated, the outcome could be tragic.

- Grayling, MI, USA

Oct 152011

Ion 4-cyl

Car was parked on a slight incline. Hand brake was on. Turned on ignition and engine started. Put right foot on brake and released hand brake. Placed car in reverse and began to lift foot off brake. Car began to roll backward, but when I applied pressure to the foot brake to slow the car I found that I had no power brakes and no power steering. It took a great deal of effort to stop the car from continuing to roll backwards. By now the engine had stopped running and several alert lamps were lit on the control panel. Over several days before this incident, I had noticed intermittent and momentary power steering failures when I was driving at slow speeds.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Oct 042011

Ion 4-cyl

I was driving and going around a circle and all of sudden it was hard to steer, a chime and power steering light was on the dash, I pulled over into a parking lot. I turned engine off.opened the hood to check on serpentine belt if broken, but the belt was good. I started the engine and the power steering was working again, as if nothing happened.a week later it happened again, as I was driving straight, I pulled over turned engine off, restart again and the power steering working ok, I called the GM dealer service dept.and they said there is no recall or T.S.B. from GM.

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Oct 142011

Ion 4-cyl

While driving southbound on highway 99, the power steering light came on and steering became tight and hard. After further research Saturn does know about this problem and has only issued a special policy and not a recall.

- Kingsburg, CA, USA

May 022011

Ion 4-cyl

For the past 5 months, the Saturn Ion 3 power steering will intermitently go out. When I first start the car the power steering works fine, and then at any random time the car makes a ding, ding noise and then there is no power steering. If the car is shut off and turned back on the power steering is fine. Then a few miles down the road it turns off again, almost every day. This makes it very difficult to turn corners. The next problem is if it is damp or cold (below 60) in the morning at 8am the car will not turn over or start, until the sun comes out and warms up the car, by noon the car starts just fine. I can get it started if I place two warm blankets on the battery and motor and wait a few minutes, then the car will start. The drivers side windows have also stopped working.

- Lauderdale Lakes, FL, USA

Oct 042011

Ion 4-cyl

This happened on my daughters 2006 Saturn Ion with less than 25,000 miles. She had been making a right hand turn in a double turn lane off an angulared intersection (about 60 degrees). She was in the outside lane with a semi-truck making the turn along side, left of her. She was going approx. 25 mph. When she lost the power steering and almost veered under the trailer. Thank god she didn't go under under it or she probably would have been killed. The eps has failed 4 times since. I see that GM has acknowledged this problem with their other models and posted recalls for them, but not for Saturn. 846 Saturn complaints to ODI and 3,489 reports to GM and no recalls!!! how many people have to report a crash or sadly enough, have to die, before something is done. I've been out of work for sometime and can not afford the reported $1,000 repair at a dealer that admits there is a problem. NHTSA and or GM, stand up for what is right and do something. Since when is the loss of steering not a major issue!!!

- Bedford Park , IL, USA

Oct 062011

Ion 4-cyl

I am beginning to believe that the issue with the Saturn Ion is an electrical or computer based. I put in a complaint earlier about how the car shuts off in the middle of making turns. This morning as I went to work I was met with the automatic steering not working. At first I thought that maybe the emergency break was still up. I checked my steering fluid and it is full. I turned the car off and then on again and tried to move the wheel. No dice. I drove the car to work fighting with the steering all the way there. When I got to work I called for assistance to get my car to a shop. After making the arrangements, I went to try to straighten up the vehicle somewhat so that others could park beside me and so the towing company could get it out. To my amazement the car steering worked fine. There are several complaints on the web about this issue, the key getting stuck in the ignition, the key being removed from the ignition and the car engine continuing to run anyway, and the shutting off while going over tracks and making turns with the Saturn Ion 2004-2007. Please get GMC to fix these issues. What makes me really angry is that the company knows, they simply are avoiding fixing the problems and only Focus on the fuel pump problem. Somebody is going to get killed sooner or later btw the shutting off issue or the steering wheel issues. I hope you guys look into these issues and demand that GMC fixes them before then. Thanks.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Aug 262011

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the steering wheel would intermittently seize while driving 30 mph and above. Whenever the failure recurred, the contact would stop the vehicle and shut it off. Upon restart, the vehicle would operate as normal. A power steering service light would also illuminate on the instrument panel during the failure and a warning bell would sound. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, but the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Kaukauna, WI, USA

Sep 252011

Ion 4-cyl

On Sunday, September 25th, 2011, I was driving on a familiar road in town when all of the warning lights on my vehicle suddenly illuminated and began blinking. The speedometer, fuel gage, temperature gage, and RPM indicator all went down to zero and the message center began saying "trac off" and "pwr str." As this happened, my power steering went out. I pulled over and turned my car off. My car would not turn back on. After about one minute, I was able to start my car again and resume driving as normal. This has happened on four other occasions since the first time, three days ago. The last time it happened I was going around a curve and I almost went into the ditch. In addition, it is also important to note that at 40,000 miles, the vehicle began having the same issue (message center occasionally flashing "trac off" and "pwr str", and the ABS and emergency break lights going on). The dealer found that the steering column was shorting out and had to replace the steering column in the vehicle. This leads me to believe that this is an electrical problem...

- Oskaloosa, IA, USA

Sep 232011

While driving my 2006 Saturn Ion indicator chimed and pwr str light displayed. I lost steering control and almost wrecked. I pulled off the road killed the car upon restarting engine everything was fine. Five minutes into my trip problem happened again. Also, sometimes when I drive the car the passenger airbag is on at other times it turns off on it own. Both are these are very dangerous especially for me being a single mother.

- Sulphur Springs, TX, USA

Jun 012008

Ion 4-cyl

Pwr str warning on dash. Power steering assist turns off. After restart power steering assist returns. Started off as once a month for 2 months then once a week then several times a day. Now it happens about 2 minutes after each time I start it. Total of three month to get to this stage.

- Brooklyn Park, MD, USA

Sep 132011

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving, the power steering would sporadically become inoperable. The dealer and manufacturer were notified of the failure, but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 106,000...updated 09/29/11 the power steering motor failed on the vehicle. Updated 01/03/12

- Dexter, MO, USA

Aug 242011

Ion 4-cyl

While traveling at city speeds (approx 35mph), the vehicle's information center sounded a "ding" and displayed a message reading "pwr str". this occurred suddenly and without warning. According to the owner's manual, the message "pwr str" indicates a power steering failure, an indication confirmed by the fact that turning the steering wheel suddenly became extremely difficult, requiring a significant amount of effort to turn the steering wheel beyond 1-2 degrees from its present location. I estimate this effort would exceed the abilities of some drivers, given the sudden onset and difference in effort required to turn the wheel before and after this problem occurs. This has happened to me on multiple occasions, including while driving at highway speeds (55-65mph) and while traveling in a parking lot (5-15mph). Turning the engine off and restarting it shortly thereafter seems to correct the problem; the message is no longer displayed and the steering works as expected. However, I have noticed with the recent incidents that turning the engine off and on again only fixes the problem for approximately one mile of travel before the problem occurs again. To date, I have managed to avoid getting into a collision as a result of this sudden loss of power steering, however I feel that this is a serious safety problem that could result in injuries or deaths if the problem were to occur while the driver is actively turning the steering wheel (e.g. turning, changing lanes, navigating a parking structure) or if the driver lacks the strength necessary to turn the wheel without functional power steering. It would seem this problem is already under investigation (NHTSA action number: RQ10004), and I would urge you to have this component recalled as it is a serious safety concern.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 022011

Ion 4-cyl

We lost our power steering, going around a curve @ 45 mph, almost lost control. We shut the car off and it reset on starting. It kept going off and on for 100 miles, requiring us to pull over and stop and start the car every time, until we got home now.

- Elk River, MN, USA

Apr 232011

Driving with traffic, the car dies and the steering gets very hard to turn then battery light comes on. Car will restart with no further problems. This will happen at least once a week. Took to the dealer they fixed the gas tank leak and other recall parts. This continues to happen almost caused several accidents. Do not know if it is the steering or electrical. It doesn't matter what speed your going or if your going straight or turning. Please look into this problem. I have had the battery checked the thermostat, checked the fuse box checked. The dealer checked and fixed the other 3 things from recall as stated. The ignition sometimes gets stuck when the steering goes out you can not get the key to do anything until you turn the steering wheel that has no power then you can restart the car. Also the car heat gauge never goes above half way so car is not over heating.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Aug 212011

Ion 4-cyl

Driving on highway in my 2006 Saturn Ion. Her a "beep" notification from the dash and simultaneously, I lost all power steering. Warning on dash stated "pwr strng".

- Newtown, CO, USA

Aug 212011

In May 2009, my power steering went out on my 2006 Saturn Ion in the middle of steering. When I turned my car off and would start back up the car it would work. Every time it would turn off, my car would be difficult to drive and if I was in the middle of a turn, almost was hit because I was unable to turn fast enough. I had an extended warranty on my car, had to pay $100 to have it fixed. Now 2 years later, 40,0000 miles here is it doing it again. It cost almost $800 to get this repaired. Why should this be failing every couple of years. When it started again today, I was coming down a mountain and almost went off the edge.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Aug 072011

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering goes out intermittently.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jul 212011

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Ion. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The vehicle was driven onto the emergency lane and shut off. Upon restarting the vehicle, the steering wheel operated as normal. The vehicle was taken to two independent mechanics, who stated that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Amboy, IL, USA