NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Saturn Ion (Page 4 of 25)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: When it comes to the 2006 Ion, the biggest questions are: what big problem is going to pop up next? And how long until GM chooses to address it?

The 2006 Ion has a defective ignition switch that gave owners fits. Their keys would get stuck in the ignition, the engine wouldn’t shut off or in some cases it would shut off at the most dangerous time. The ignition was eventually recalled as part of one of the largest recalls of all-time , but it took GM 10 years to do it. Then there’s this car’s temperamental power steering which is prone to stop working randomly while driving. It too was eventually recalled, even if GM took their sweet time about it.

Lastly, it turns out a car built with plastic doors, fenders and bumpers – while fun for a game of “shopping cart bocce” – is horrible for safety.

2006 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Saturn Ion:

2006 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 4 of 25)

May 062014

Ion

While driving home from work, the message center gave a message of "pwr str, " and the power steering went out on my 2006 Saturn Ion. I pulled over, turned off the ignition, started the car and the problem temporarily fixed itself enough to make it back home. I later drove the car again a short distance (about 5 miles) and the same message popped up and the power steering went out. I checked the power steering fluid level, and it appears to be full. After some research on the internet, I found that many other owners of this make/model have complained about the same issue, and have paid up to $1,000 to have it fixed.

- Dunlap, TN, USA

May 032014

Ion 4-cyl

After receiving my vehicle back from having the ignition recall fixed my power steering went out the next day. I have filed a power steering complaint previously before it went out. I had pulled into a car was and a truck was coming out the entrance. It backed up to let me in. At that point my power steering went out causing me to head straight for the truck. I stopped and the truck backed ip. I turn to the left to go in the direction I needed to go and the steering wheel locked at a speed of 10 miles and hour when it was turned completely to the left and the car would only go straight. The wheel then started to make a screeching sound and grinding sound and was shaking. I turned the wheel to the right and it would only go straight. I went in reverse and the forward again and it finally turned. Having to other option I drove the 2 miles to my home. Whenever I would turn the car would turn but wouldnot straighten out to the forward position correctly. It was very delayed. I am now not able to drive my vehicle and am for the fear that I could get in an accident or lose control.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Apr 242014

Ion

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated then the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,750 and the current mileage was 65,799.

- Nashville, NC, USA

Feb 012014

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering seems to be failing. When turning at any speed the steering is hard and seems to not be working correctly. It feels like it is going to stop working at any moment. This issue is a sudden problem not something gradually getting worse.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Apr 252014

Ion 4-cyl

Within an hour of bringing the vehicle home from getting the fuel pump replaced on April 25, 2014, I received a frantic call from my daughter, panicked she had just been involved in an accident. She states she was driving home in a residential area and the car started veering back and forth uncontrollably. The car careened into the curb damaging the front passenger side and tire. It hit with such force, the vehicle ricochet back into the middle of the road. My daughter then shifted it into park, turned it off and attempted to exit. The doors would not open and could not be unlocked, manually or with the key fob. 2 men driving by stopped and attempted to help her out of the vehicle, with no luck. As a last resort, she had to break out the driver side front window to escape. I then called dayl graves dealership, and was instructed to have the vehicle towed back to their dealership so they could evaluate the vehicle. It is currently still at their dealership. After kevin, the mechanic, looked at the vehicle, he determined it was an issue with the power steering motor & column. Updated 08/20/14

- Walla Walla, WA, USA

Mar 012014

Ion 4-cyl

There has been at least 4 times that while my car was idling at either a red light, stop sign, or what have you, my car would just shut off after making a rough idling noise. This scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. If I were to shut my car off & turn it back on, it would then go away. It made me weary of driving because you never knew when or where that could happen. The second incident would be my power stewing. My car would "ding" and the power steering light would come on making my wheel stiffen up immediately. Again, if I would turn the car off and then back on again, the problem would stop... for a little bit. Started off at once or twice a week, then once a day maybe, now I can't even go a block from my house without it coming on. Frustrating and dangerous to say the least.

- Turtle Creek, PA, USA

Dec 242008

Ion 4-cyl

L was driving my 2006 Saturn Ion which L bought brand new in 2006 going to pick up my granddaughter in howell mi I was on interstate with my cruise control on as L went on exit interstate, L turned off cruise control when L did that it shut my car down completely, L was merging on another interstate with no engine running no power steering and unable to restart engine. There was no where to pull over off road safely, L was almost killed car had to come to a complete stop to restart. I have had this happen to me 3 different times, L have taken car to Chevy dealership many time complaining about this matter, they said they could not find any problems, L have stopped using my cruise control. L really have a lemon sunroof does not work sun roof leaks, the car starts when it wants to, lam retired 65 years old and take very good care of the Saturn Ion, L would be afraid to sell this 2006 Saturn Ion to the public, L don't want to kill anyone, the car sits, not using it, won't sell it, what can be done? and there is no retail value for this car.now there is a recall on ignition switch I feel so very sorry for the people that lost their lives, L was lucky that L was not one that was killed, as L said earlier, this car went to dealership 3 different times on this matter, last time L took the car in was last summer 2013, mechanic drove Saturn Ion and told me there is nothing wrong. The car sits.

- Brooklyn , MI, USA

Apr 162014

Ion 4-cyl

As I was driving to the store I made it about two minutes from my house when I made my first left turn. As I started to turn I noticed my steering was getting difficult, then the three beeps and a display of pwr str went off on my car. Lucky I wasn't on a busy road or thruway on my way to work or school because as I turned into the nearest parking lot the steering was almost impossible. I had it towed to my repair asap and was told my power steering motor had to be replace. This repair like any other cost a few hundred dollars that I was surely very unhappy to dish out. I am the second owner of this car and after already receiving the recall notice of the ignition system I went online and checked if there was any recall in the past on the steering. I was surprised to see my websites with people who had the same problem as me however there was no official recall just GM would repair the steering if brought to their dealership, had I known this I would of taken it there. So the next day I called GM's customer service line to hopefully get reimbursed my repair bill since if they are aware of the problem they should be responsible to repay for it instead of just offering to make a scheduled appointment with their dealership to perform the maintenance whenever they're available. I was told since there are four reasons for the steering to fail there hasn't been a final recall made and therefore they are unable to reimburse me. The only advice I got was to wait around for the official recall and then once I receive it then go through the reimbursement cycle. I am not happy about this at all, if GM knows there is a problem they should take responsibility for it. My steering went off completely without notice and I easily could of been in an accident!

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Mar 242014

Ion

At random my car beeped and the power steering indicated on the dash and my car became hard to maneuver. Within a two week period my car has had power steering failure 4 times. First occurrence: I was making a turn from one road to another. Second occurrence: While coming to a stop at a stop sign coming to an end on an off ramp from the interstate. The third occurrence: Driving on a 45mph road, approaching a curve. Forth occurrence: On the interstate traveling at 70mph with cruise control set with heavy traffic around me. Each time I had to either stop on the road, pull off the road to the shoulder or make due till I found an area to stop, to turn the car off and restart again, after restarting the car the steering became very loose and just as hard to maneuver.

- Hopkinsville, KY, USA

Apr 042014

Ion 4-cyl

My 17-year old son was driving home from a friend's house. Making a left turn at an intersection on a local street, he reported that he heard a chime sound and then the steering wheel "locked up" (his words). He said he was unable to steer the car. He stated that the info display showed "pwr str" and he had to stop the car, turn the ignition switch off, then restart the car. Luckily, this occurred on a local street where there was no other traffic at the time. After restart, the steering operated properly. He, as well as my daughter, are concerned about this happening again.

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Apr 012014

Ion 4-cyl

2006 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle ignition problems. The consumer stated a year ago, she could not turn the ignition key, and a message stated the key did not match the ignition and was locked. After an hour, the vehicle finally started. The repair shop was unable to find a problem. It happened 3 more times. The consumer received a recall letter, regarding the power steering. However, the parts were not available. Updated 09/08/14

- Fleetwood, PA, USA

Mar 262014

Ion 4-cyl

I was driving in the freeway and then suddenly the power steering light came up and my wheel was very hard to drive, last week I could even drive my car 2 miles because the wheel turned impossible to drive I don't know what to do.

- Bridgeport , CT, USA

Dec 082011

Ion

This car has been cursed with electronic steering problems. The car has been serviced repeatedly. I have had very little response and zero satisfaction from GM. The key often does not release from the ignition. The car was involved in a violent front end collision that was caused by these issues. I bought the car (based on a false Saturn promise) and I had two daughters in the front of the car during the preventable collision. I couldn't figure out why the bags did not deploy. Now I get it! the car cuts off when making a right hand turn. I do not believe a single thing that GM says to me. I am going in for a rental car tomorrow. I. do not even believe that this will go according to plan. I take the car for service, they tell me that they, "cannot repeat the problem." GM sucks and so does NHTSA. Earn your money. I earned mine. I want to add, in addition to steering, brakes, ignition -- the electronic system in this car is a complete mess...........

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Dec 082011

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Mar 292014

Ion

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the power steering assist malfunctioned. The failure made it very difficult for the contact to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 49,753.

- Rogers , AR, USA

Mar 312014

Ion

The power steering failed while driving down the freeway. The dash board indicated the failure. When I stopped and shutoff the car and restarted the power steering returned.

- Inman, SC, USA

Mar 292014

Ion 4-cyl

Steering got very hard. (electric steering assist motor was replaced 7 years ago. Seems this one has same issues as everyone else that's complained.) so why are they using the same motor that you are investigating? plan to talk to dealership about free replacement since it messed up again.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Oct 172013

Ion 4-cyl

After I started the vehicle and trying to reverse the vehicle from parking lot the chime sound came and it displayed pwr steering in the display. I was not able to turn the steering. I turned the vehicle off and turned it back on and it was fine. The similar incident happened twice after that. I took the vehicle to GM service and they wont take care of the issue as my car got a rebuilt title. They acknowledge that it is a known problem and GM wont honor the extended warranty as the car got a rebuild title. They said that if it was a recall they will take care of it and the charge for the repair is approximately $1000. GM is trying to rip me off for their fault only because my car have a rebuild title.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Mar 142014

Ion

I was driving straight down the highway when my power streering notification light came on. I felt that I had no power steering as soon as I went to change lanes. I managed to manhandle the steering wheel to get to my destination since it was 9:30 at night. The next morning I called the closest GM dealership service department and they got me in. The tech said he had seen the same situation from another client a few weeks prior. They had to replace the power steering motor. My receipt from them says a short in the power steering motor..

- Southfield, MI, USA

Mar 162014

Ion

Unexpected power steering failure three times in one day. Once while exiting the highway and twice while driving on highway. Was traveling in a straight line when failures occurred. Vehicle displayed "pwr str" in the dashboard. Turning the car off then on again temporarily fixed problem. Dealer stated it was the power steering column.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA