NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 4 of 7)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

May 012012

Ion

2007 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch malfunction. In May 2012, the original ignition switch had to be replaced, because she was unable to turn the engine off. The key would not turn or come out of the ignition switch. On June 5, 2013, the consumer took the vehicle to the dealer, because the vehicle would intermittently stop running at random times. The invoice stated, they checked codes, monitored fuel pressure, tested the battery, wiggled and tapped tested the app PCM, ignition wires and relays, etc. And no trouble was found. The vehicle shut down 3 times, on her way home. The consumer returned to the dealer the next day, and asked if the vehicle shutting down had something to do with the original ignition switch being replaced, because it was not shutting down prior to the replacement. The consumer believed the replacement ignition was faulty. The consumer has since traded the vehicle.

- Salem, OR, USA

Mar 042014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated while driving in reverse approximately 2 mph there was a sudden increase in acceleration and the vehicle crashed into a brick wall. The air bags did not deploy. The ignition key independently released from the switch prior to the crash. In addition, the front driver's side seat belt unexpectedly detached which caused the driver to strike the dashboard. The contact sustained injury to the chest and head. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to the dealer. The contact stated the failure was a related to the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact did not receive the recall notice until after the incident occurred. The approximate failure mileage was 27,600.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 012013

Ion 4-cyl

2007 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to free ignition replacement when parts are available and airbag recall notices. The consumer stated the power steering locked up in January 2013.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 112013

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the vehicle would not turn off after being driven. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that there was a missing piece broken in the ignition tumbler, which would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was not contacted regarding the failure. The failure mileage was 77,911 and the current mileage is 80,800.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 192014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and the part was currently unavailable to perform the repair. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. There are no failures at this time.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Mar 182014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The contact was not able to have the vehicle repaired under the recall because the part needed was unavailable. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for when the remedy part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hanover, PA, USA

Jun 102010

Ion

Ignition locked and could not remove key to stop engine, only way to shut off engine was to disconnect battery cables--called dealer in frederick, md the very next morning--had to have my car towed to the GM dealer, frederick, md, the dealership repaired the problem and I was charged $512.36 and I paid the invoice of $512.36. I received a recall letter on March 14, 2014 #14V-047 -- I am requesting the reimbursement in the matter.

- Boonsboro, MD, USA

Mar 232014

Ion 4-cyl

Recvd ign sw recall (trbl w/keys hard to get out of ign sw & wont turn to off position increasingly getting worse ;ran batt dwn.jmp strted car ok but now transmission stays in first gear, hard steering w/dic reads pwr steering.its my 23 year old daughter's car senior student @Ohio university'stuck @ small GM used car dealer that insists shifter need to be replaced @ $500 plus first w/no guantee to fix trbl before any other repairs that I believe should fall under GM ign sw recall & GM hard steering extended warranty offered seen on line news re:Saturn Ion disclosers since Feb 2014 @ no cost to me.never had transmission shift/hard steering problems ever till now but ign sw has been a plague several years now!

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Jan 142014

Ion 4-cyl

2007 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regard to vehicle electrical problems. The consumer stated the vehicle would lose power and shut down. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The service informed the consumer, no chip was found and therefore, the vehicle could not be fixed without a chip notification. The consumer has since traded the vehicle.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 052014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated while driving approximately 20 mph, the engine stalled.the contact restarted the engine and the vehicle operated normally. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Irving , TX, USA

Nov 292013

Ion 4-cyl

In December, 2012 we purchased a 2007 Saturn Ion from a local dealer. Shortly after purchase we had issues with the electrical system and the ignition key which we contacted the dealer about and were reassured that it was no cause for concern, subsequently we allowed my significant other's daughter to take the vehicle to college with her as she needed a form of transportation at school. On black Friday, 2013 she encountered a minor motor vehicle accident in a parking lot where it is my understanding the vehicle shut off. I have contacted General Motors and requested a courtesy vehicle for her which they had agreed to provide through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's web site and they state one excuse after another why they cannot do this. General Motors has exhibited a complete lack of any concern for the driver's safety and they are now at the point where they want my significant other to drive 500 miles across state pick up her vehicle, take it to a dealer and pick up a rental car, which will cost her a $50 deposit and when the repair, which is a manufacturers defect, is finally completed she should do this all over again without any compensation from GM. This is totally unacceptable and in complete conflict with what GM has told the NHTSA they would do. At this point in time, I respectfully request NHTSA investigate this matter and propose an agreeable resolution.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jun 222010

Ion 4-cyl

After my day of driving I pulled into my driveway at my home and put my car into the park gear and continued to remove my key--the key would not turn to off position. It had locked into place. I had to call my husband to come home and help me. He too tried. It would not turn to the off position. The only way we got the car to turn off the engine was to disconnect the battery cables. The key stayed in the on position. I had to contact the GM dealer the next morning -- I had to have my car towed to the dealership in frederick, Maryland. I was repaired and I was charged a total of $512.36 I received a recall letter today March 14, 2014 stating there is a recall 14063 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration campaign id number for this recall is 14V-047 since this has already affected my car and I have paid I am requesting reimbursement.

- Boonsboro, MD, USA

Mar 132014

Ion

In regards to campaign id number 14V-047. I have been in touch with customer service twice, once on 3/13/14 and the other on 3/14/14. Both times the rep stated that a message was left at my local dealership. I also called the dealership on 3/13/14 in the evening and 3/14/14 during the day. I left messages both times. I never got a call back from the dealership. I realize there may be a high volume of calls due to the recall. But I have not been offered a solution what so ever. GM stated they would provide a loaner car in news releases and the customer service rep and the GMC dealership have done nothing to help put a loaner in place. I drive my car for work on a daily basis and do not have the means or access to another car. The bottom line is you would think that since there have been fatalities and many accidents related to this recall that it would be a priority to address my concern. I'm very dissatisfied.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Dec 032013

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact restarted the engine and the vehicle operated normally. The contact also complained that the ignition key would very easily slide out of the ignition switch, causing the engine to shut off. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer but not repaired. No further information was available. The manufacturer was notified but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Rhinebeck, NY, USA

Mar 012010

Ion

The power cuts off when hitting a bump/jarring and car loses all automatic features--power steering, power brakes. Especially likely with heavy key chain. Has happened multiple times since I purchased the vehicle in 2009, but more in past two years. Occurs when pulling into driveways of stores, hitting pothole, etc. This is the Saturn "sister" car to the Chevy cobalt ss and of same year at that recent recall.

- Caro, MI, USA

Feb 262014

Ion 4-cyl

I heard on tv that GM had recalled the Ion because of deaths associated with fires from leaking fuel modules and failing ignition switches. So, I called GM and was told that they will only fix the the ignition if it fails and the fuel module when you can show it is leaking. It seems like if they have a problem with their parts they should try to fix them prior to stalling on the freeway or having the vehicle burst into flames from leaking fuel. Am I off base here?

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Apr 032011

Ion 4-cyl

I was driving down the road the engine cut out power steering went off, electricity went out. My car kept doing this until I only drive with one key in the ignition. I am worried it sounds similar to recently recalled 2005-2007 cobalts ignition.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 102013

Ion 4-cyl

November 10th at 4:50 pm I left the grocery store I pulled into garage at 5pm put my car in park and the key would not move in the ignition so the car would not shut off. I opened manual to page 105-106 and tried the shift lock release and that did not work. I called dealership and their service department was already closed and were going to be closed the next day on veterans day. So I placed a call to aaa and they had to send out a lock smith to turn off the car and replace the ignition. 3 hours and $275 dollars later because aaa covers $100 of it my car was fixed. This is not a safe thing to occur in a vehicle. I googled this and saw that many others have had this issue and am very disappointed that there has been no recall on something like this.

- Los Alamitos, CA, USA

Sep 112013

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. Once the vehicle was parked, the contact was unable to remove the key from the ignition. The contact drove the vehicle to the dealer and they have not repaired nor diagnosed the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000.

- Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA

Jul 012012

Ion 4-cyl

The key gets stuck in the ignition when turning the car (Saturn Ion 2007) off. I turn off the car and cannot get the key out of the ignition. It is happening more and more and getting more and more difficult to finally get the key to release. From reading complaints online, this is happening to a lot of Saturn owners and needs to be addressed by GM for a recall.

- Toledo, OH, USA