NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 6 of 7)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Sep 012011

Ion

When I shut off my car, the ignition will not release the key. This happens every other time I use the car. Extremely frustrating. Also needed to replace the front passenger side wheel bearing assy.

- Princeton, MN, USA

Sep 012010

Ion 4-cyl

The key stuck in the ignition switch, in the run position. I could not shut the car off. I had to disconnect the battery from the computer assembly to shut the car off. Fortunately, at the time, the car was under warranty. If I would have had to pay for the repair through the dealer, the cost would have been in excess of $500. I am filing this complaint because, now, a year later and after the car is out of warranty, it is displaying the same symptoms (difficulty removing key from ignition after shutting engine off) as were experienced before the ignition lock assembly failed last time. This problem, after much on-line research, is an issue with Saturn from 2005-2007. As most individuals noted that they experienced the same problem, six months or more after replacing the ignition lock cylinder, through their dealership. Mechanics are noting that the assembly is faulty, in that each time the key is turned small bits of metal from the key are flaking off into the assembly, causing it to lock up, typically in the on position. Thankfully, for me, this incident occurred close to home. This vehicle is no longer under warranty and the repair I am again anticipating will take replacement of the ignition lock assembly. This is something I will be doing myself or seeking the services of a 'shade tree' mechanic, as I do not have the funds to take the vehicle to a GM dealership for repair. Given the number of complaints listed on-line through edmonds and other consumer complaint sites, I feel that GM should be taking responsibility for the faulty parts and a recall should be issued. This poor engineering should not be an out of pocket expense for any consumer. The consumer also stated the power steering failed. The dealer informed the consumer, the steering column needed to be replaced. The consumer learned a recall had been issued. However, GM informed him, the vehicles with electric power steering was covered. The consumer disputed that, saying his vehicle did have electric power steering. Updated 09/29/14

- Cloivs, CA, USA

Aug 242011

Ion

Key stuck in ignition, car will not turn off. Key will only turn on. Car is at GM dealer now awaiting repairs. They say it needs a new cylinder housing, cylinder and key. Car has 57,800km. Also in the past the car slipped out of gear (1st) even when the emergency brake is engaged. The first time it rolled down a driveway and hit the mail box, which damaged to back bumper. Dealer would not check into it. Claimed it was driver error. Bs I have driven a standard vehicle for 35 years in hills. Third problem is the gears. They are too tight. Always was difficult to put into gear, sometimes to put it into first one must put it in reverse first then put into 1st gear. What kind of nonsense is that? complained to dealer within the first year. Dealer said other customers have complained about the tight gears but that was the way it was built and to wait and see if it naturally became easier. From researching the internet the key getting stuck and not turning off appears to be a common problem. A recall should be issued and GM should pay for the repairs.

- Langley, 00, USA

Aug 262011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion 3. the contact stated that the key had become stuck in the ignition and the vehicle would not start. The contact was able to turn the key but the vehicle would not start and the doors would not open or unlock. The vehicle was not inspected. The contact spoke with the dealer and was told that the failure was common but the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 96,000.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Aug 132011

Ion 4-cyl

Key ignition - key will not turn to "off" position, car stays on. Had to remove fuse and disconnect battery in order for the car to turn off and alt go off.

- Carmi, IL, USA

Aug 092011

Ion 4-cyl

While out shopping pulled in to park at a mall. Went to turn key to off position and it would not move. Vehicle continued to run as normal, with doors locked and in "park". it could not be shut down. Broke out the owners manual and tried all the handy advice. None of which worked. Being a mechanic of 30+ years this was frustrating. No clear cut definition as to what was the cause. Just " it might be this", and to take to your nearest Saturn dealer for servicing. Upon returning home began investigating the "ignition key" problem online. I've had no real issues with this 2007 Saturn Ion quad coupe that I could not remedy myself. A 2.2 liter fuel injected engine w/auto transmission that to date continues to provide 30-32 mpg. Car now has 92,000 miles. The answers that I found online were staggering. That this event has been allowed to occur over such a length of time and to several GM models. If the ignition had locked backwards due to such an internal break instead of locking it into the "run" position. I or anyone could have been killed if vehicle was moving at the time. Especially if travel was on a major interstate or thruway environment. I am not trying to overlook that at any speed...this is not a safe event to have occur. Did contact a GM dealer locally..they stated that for $85, we'll run diagnostics. An ignition cylinder problem does not show on any diagnostic tester to my knowledge. Was then advised that at around $300 to start: They will be able to fix it. Since 1990 GM has been aware of this issue along with other ignition concerns. When does it begin to matter" after someone is killed or critically injured"

- Fort Edward, NY, USA

Jul 112011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, the key would not disengage from the ignition. The contact had to have the fuse in the engine disconnected in order for the vehicle to shut off. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Lizemores, WV, USA

Jun 192011

Ion 4-cyl

On June 19th 2011 my 2007 Saturn Ion wouldn't shut off the ignition was locked into the run position. Since my vehicle is a stick I simply killed it but the electronic accessories were still stuck on. I had to go purchase a new ignition cylinder and install it in order to get my vehicle working again. This is a known problem and was recalled on other GM vehicles that share the same platform but not on the Saturn Ions.

- Hillsboro, MO, USA

Jun 042011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that he was unable to remove the key from the ignition. The dealer advised the contact to remove several fuses and disconnect the battery. No formal repairs were made and the contact was awaiting a service appointment. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The current and failure mileages were 64,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Catonsville, MD, USA

Mar 012011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact noticed that when attempting to remove the key from the ignition, the key would remain stuck and she was unable to power the vehicle off. The dealer advised the contact to bring the vehicle in for inspection. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance to the contact and the vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 58,000 and the failure mileage was 54,000.

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

May 052011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that when they key was inserted in the ignition, the vehicle would not start and the key would become stuck. The contact stated a key lock light illuminated on the dashboard when the failure occurred. The vehicle was not inspected at the time of the complaint. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 15,000.

- Cocunut Creek, FL, USA

Apr 252011

Ion

Returned home and tried to turn off car but key was stuck in the ignition. The only way to turn the car off was to remove a fuse and unhook the battery. After looking online and on this website, I find this is a common problem with Saturn Ions.

- Lenoir, NC, USA

Feb 262011

Ion 4-cyl

My husband and I went to start our car, and the key would not turn. The ignition cylinder and housing needed to be replaced. The cost was $602. This happened about 6:00 after we had done some errands and stopped at a family members house. We never had any issues with our ignition before. We have 2007 Saturn Ion 2. it has about 64,000 miles on it.

- Merrillville, IN, USA

Dec 302010

Ion

The contact owns 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the key was stuck in the ignition and she was unable to turn the vehicle off. She also disconnected the battery and the vehicle would not shut off. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 71,000.

- Evans, GA, USA

Nov 302010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn ion3. The contact stated that the interior lights would illuminate when not engaged and the alarm would sporadically sound when it was not set. In addition, the dome and the map light would sporadically illuminate while the contact was driving and when the vehicle was shut off. The dealer inspected the vehicle and advised the contact that the body control module had failed, but the part would not be available for three months to make repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 50,000. Updated 02/02/11

- Fargo, ND, USA

Aug 152010

Ion 4-cyl

My 2007 Saturn Ion's ignition lock cylinder is broken. Apparently this is a very common problem with Saturn, and fixing the problem once is not a guarantee that it will not need to be replaced again. When I arrived home, my car would not turn off. The key would not turn back, however, we could completely remove the key, and we could turn the key to the on position. My husband was able to turn off the car by pulling a fuse from the under the hood of the car after a little bit of research and a lot of wasted gas. We purchased a new ignition lock cylinder from the closest dealership, but that did not resolve the problem. We have now learned we also need to replace the ignition starter switch. There is no reason that this many Saturn should be having the exact same problem. www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/saturn_ignition_lock.html has over 50 pages of people complaining about the exact same problem! this needs to be recalled!

- Roseville, CA, USA

Oct 242010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the key could not be taken out of the ignition. The contact called the local dealer who advised her to call NHTSA and that there were no related recalls. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was approximately 62,000.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 012010

Ion 4-cyl

When placing vehicle in park, the doors remain locked and key cannot be removed from ignition. Took vehicle to Chevy dealer for repair and they said my factory warranty was expired. I currently have 22,500 on vehicle and I purchased the vehicle on 1-1-2008 as a new vehicle at the dealership. I am being told by Saturn customer service that the warranty went into effect in 2006 on the day that my vehicle "was delivered" to dealership and over a year before I ever owned it! what a scam!

- Forney, TX, USA

Oct 262010

Ion

I own a 2007 Saturn Ion and have been experiencing an ignition problem. Everytime I park my car and turn the key to shut it off it gets "stuck". no matter how I park, wiggle it, etc.. it gets stuck then I have to sit there anywhere from 30sec-hours before it will release. I brought it to my local Saturn authorized service department (1hr away) and they could not find anything wrong they told me it must be spilt soda in the shifter and cleaned the inside of my shifter and charged $90. To only drive an hour home and have it keep happening! Saturn will not help and my warranty expired. I did some research online and thousands of people have the same problem. Shouldn't this be a recall?

- Thomasville, GA, USA

Oct 042010

Ion

My Saturn 2007 Ion will not shut off & I cannot get the key to release out of the ignition. I had to pull the ignition fuse & disconnect the battery. I called Saturn who denied the problems with the ignition systems. I went onto Consumer Affairs.com, entered consumer complaints about Saturn Ion ignition lock & pulled up 50 pages of documented problems concerning the passlock system. Why has there not been a recall on this matter? not 50 incidents, 100's of incidents. My car went out of warranty 1 month ago. It is estimated at over $500 to repair with no guarantee it will not occur again! please help us & check out this problem. I read that GM issued a service bulletin 04-08-45-005D concerning this matter.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA