NHTSA — Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission Control: Gas Recirculation Valve (Egr Valve) Problems Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments

Nov 212007

Ion 4-cyl

I purchased my 2007 Ion in October 2007. Within a month of its purchase, I was at the dealer getting the car washed and mentioned that the car was "breathing heavy" like it wanted to stall. The sales person pacified me by mentioning to tighten the gas cap with 3 - 5 clicks. The wanting to stall and heavy breathing continued, so the science project began. I tried several different gas stations- may it was bad gas; no. I tried switching to medium grade gas; no. The car seems to idle low: 600rpms. It would shake and rumble like it S "coughing." I brought it to the dealer in February 2008. They found a six inch shard of metal in the exhaust system. They didn't show it to me. The dealer replaced the whole exhaust system. The problem still existed. I brought it back again. The dealer replaced the catalytic converter and a sensor. The problem still existed. I brought it in a third time. A field inspector was to be in the area. He couldn't make it so they consulted with him over the telephone and the report back to me was that they couldn't duplicate the stalling, although they could hear the "heavy breathing" the car is working in normal operating conditions. I don't accept this! the car has a defect and tries to stall weekly! the majority of my driving is on the weekends which is when the problem is most evident.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA