NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 2 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2.0

2007 Saturn Ion fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Sep 012015

Ion

Substandard fuel line completely rotted in 2 places due to salt from winter months.

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Apr 012015

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving approximately 40 mph, a fuel odor emitted in and around the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The failure mileage was 129,000.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Apr 132015

Ion 4-cyl

While driving started to smell a very rank gas smell rushed to my mothers house to see gas leaking all on the side of the car.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 162012

Ion 4-cyl

Vehicle had a strong odor of fuel when you would stop. Took to my standard repair shop and fuel pump module and filter needed to be replaces as it was cracked. Never received any recall notification and find that recall was only for 2007 Saturn Ion's in warm weather states. This vehicle was purchased new in the state of Virginia. The expense I incurred should be reimbursed as the were Saturn Ion's outside of warm weather states could also incur the same issue.

- Glenallen, VA, USA

Nov 142014

Ion

ON12/14/2014 I put gas in my car and the gas cap did not screw on like it usually did and did not click like it always did. I got in my car and started the engine and the check engine light came on. When I got home I looked in the owners manual. I called rancho motors and was told I should take the car to them. I took my car to them on 12/17/2014. I was given a ride home while they checked out my car. On 12/22/2014, I called and spoke with mike tarpley, the assistant service manager. He said my car had a stuck valve, the #2 cylinder needed repair and the thermostat needed to be replaced because it was stuck open. On 12/23/2014, I called again and was told my car would need a valve job. I called on 12/29, 12/30 and 12/31 and was told they were working on it. All this time I was told the cost of this repair was $2,000 and they would get me a senior discount. I was finally told on 1/5/2015, that my car was ready and they sent someone to come get me and take me to rancho motors. When I got there I was told the cost was $2,500, and with my discount it was $2,355. I do not understand why my Saturn with low mileage needed all of this work. I had not had any prior problems that would indicate this needed to be done. Why was it not just the gas cap?

- Adelanto, CA, USA

Jan 232015

Ion 4-cyl

Strong gas odor. Sometimes gas on the ground under the car. Took it to draper Chevrolet and they determined that the fuel pump and the gas tank needed to be replaced. The filler neck on the fuel tank was cracked. Charged me $855.80 for the repair.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Dec 212014

Ion 4-cyl

The car failing to start on the first ignition cycle and a smell of fuel while driving and after the car as turned off was noticed. A week later fuel is now considerably leaking from near the rear of the car. A recall has been issued for a fuel pump problem on the 2007 Ion, but only in certain states, Illinois not included. Obviously, this is a major safety issue and yet another defective part/system from Saturn/GM. As GM dealerships are booked repairing the faulty ignition switches, I have to wait over a week for the repair to get looked at. The choice is now risking fire/explosion on the car as the leak is very near the hot exhaust pipe or not going to work for a week.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Dec 132014

Ion

I had a fuel leak from my Saturn and brought it to bob johnson Chevrolet to get repaired. They found that the fuel line was rusted at the driver side back by the tire and wants to charge me $750. Now, I have researched the problem and found that I am not the only one having this same problem. There seems to be multiple people having this same issue at the same area as me. Chevy or my warranty company will not cover it. There has to be something with the Saturn Ions that is making them rust. The vehicle is too dangerous to drive D/T the leak is over by the tail pipe possible to cause a fire and explosion. There needs to be a recall to cause GM to redesign the fuel line to keep it from rusting and leaking that could cause a fire.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Dec 052014

Ion 4-cyl

Gasoline dripping from area near rear wheels, both metal fuel lines rusted through.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Nov 062014

Ion 4-cyl

Because of a 'hidden recall' by GM, I was driving down the road when I smelled fuel. My fuel pump had become defective, causing a leak, and therefore, rusted fuel lines, which then broke. This 'hidden recall' was not covered at the dealership and I had to get GM involved on a corporate level, and even then, I still had to pay for their mistake! my car was steadily dripping fuel, and aside from emptying the tank there was nothing I could do about this. It is dangerous, and GM knows about it but will not acknowledge the danger in the situation. I have children. What if the car would have caught fire" then would they have listened?" it is absolutely absurd that they would not warn owners of these vehicles (even the dealership claimed to know many others in my situation exactly) when it is something so dangerous, let alone make them pay for the repair. I am absolutely disgusted.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 192014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that a strong fuel odor emitted while starting up the engine. The vehicle was taken to an authorized mechanic for inspection which located fuel leak over the fuel tank due to defective fuel pump. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer advised that the vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Apr 302014

Ion

The fuel pump cracked. The car could not be driven without gasoline spurting out on the road. There was a partial recall in several states but I was not covered by this. There was also an extended warranty in others that expired this past year. It cost $500 to repair and GM would not offer even partial compensation. The fuel pump was partly made of plastic is inferior and should be recalled everywhere. Thank you.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Oct 202014

Ion

2007 Saturn Ion purchased in Illinois late October 2013. Moved to North Carolina 9/4/2014. As of October 20, 2014 car smelled like gasoline inside and out, as soon as you walked up to the car you could smell the gasoline. The gasoline smell was very strong on the inside as well and was overwhelming and sickening. I looked underneath the vehicle and saw a wet spot on the pavement and then saw gas leaking (dripping) from what I assume is the gas tank. This is a huge concern since the recall on this wasn't a nationwide recall and only affected warm weather states. We have only been in North Carolina for a month and a half - missing their warmest time of year. Their theory of warm weather states is not acceptable and they have put my daughter's life in danger!!! I believe a nationwide recall should be issued regarding this defect and compensation to those affected. I will be calling GM asking for a rental while this problem is being fixed. This is the fourth recall on my daughter's car since she has owned it. I honestly feel GM can have this car back and issue a check for the full price that we paid for it in October 2013. What recall will be next"?" we do not want this car!!!! please quit putting people's lives in danger GM!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 152014

Ion 4-cyl

After filing tank, I noticed a strong gasoline smell in the vehicle then upon driving the car about 25 miles, I stopped to check under vehicle to see if I could find a problem related to the fuel smell. I found a large amount of fuel leaking from underneath the car near the fuel tank and exhaust system. I had to call a tow truck for fear of fire or explosion. I was later notified by the dealer that the problem was not related to the recall notice I received for the fuel pump module being cracked rather it was the seal between the fuel pump and the tank. A simple internet search revealed the many issues with the so called recall of the wrong issue on this model year vehicle. I believe this is a serious safety issue that is being overlooked and covered up with a nonsense recall of an unassociated aspect of the fuel system. The recall advises not to take vehicle to dealership until you notice a smell of gas, fuel leaking or a problem light on the dash...why would one wait until fuel is noticed leaking before taking vehicle in for recall. This is just a plain and simple lack of regard for the safety of the consumer by GM. I hope and pray that no one has become hurt or severely injured by the major lack of good judgment.

- Warren, MI, USA

Nov 052013

Ion 4-cyl

General Motors is recalling certain model year 2007, Saturn Ion vehicles, some of these vehicles have several special coverage issues, however a condition in that the plastic supply, or return port on the fuel pump module may crack, which could cause a fuel leak. This vehicle has been identified as being covered under this particular service policy, as well as other special policies. GM notified us, and good Chevrolet reportedly replace the fuel pump module, as covered by GM. From December 10th of 2013 to present - we are still dealing with aspects stemming from this recall issue; per our many calls to GM, as well as visits to good Chevrolet about the fuel smell and vehicle's performance good Chevrolet and GM's have been questionable in their response to our very serious concerns. Courtesy tire, our regular maintenance center, discovered that good Chevrolet damaged the fuel vent when replacing the fuel pump module, which compounds the original issue for the special policy. Ever since their negligent servicing of the vehicle GM and good have been denying any wrong doing. We filed a complain with the Washington state attorney generals office and now am filing this complain due to the dangers associated with the fuel issue.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Sep 032014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While the vehicle was parked, the contact smelled a strong fuel odor inside and outside the vehicle and noticed fuel on the ground. The contact was a certified mechanic and diagnosed the vehicle himself. The contact stated that the fuel feed line and evap connector needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Aug 152014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and there was a strong odor of fuel present. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the fuel pump was fractured and needed to be repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline) and NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Casper, WY, USA

Jul 072014

Ion

I own a 2007 Saturn Ion 3 quad coupe 2.4L. I am currently experiencing what I feel is exactly described in recall id: 66615 (GM's campaign # is 12190...this recall is an expansion of 09V419). My exact vehicle is singled out in this recall. The only thing is that my car was not bought in nor registered in one of the qualifying states. However, due to my service to this country...being stationed in California, the car was in the state of California. For nearly 2 years. I imagine the states singled out were singled out because of the heat in those locales and the propensity of plastic to dry rot. As you can see from the recall description, the plastic fuel pump is susceptible to cracking/leaking. As a member of the marine corps from 2006-2010, I was not required to register my vehicle with the state of California. The car was bought in Iowa...where I now currently reside. I would appreciate some consideration to be included and covered under this recall. I am experiencing a very steady gas leak from the vicinity of the gas tank. My car has lost much responsiveness, is difficult to start, and is now inoperable because the leak has gotten far worse. Please feel free to call or email me for any mores, at which time I should also be able to provide you with the VIN. Thanks in advance!!

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Aug 242014

Ion

Noticed fuel smell found puddle/leak in front of driver rear tire (part of fuel module lines0 checked for recall on GM site(none found fuel line). Came here to research found bulletin 12191 special coverage took to GM and they are refusing to replace under this special coverage saying only the module itself would be covered if it were a problem. There are many many more out there having same issue and being told the same and a very small few dealers are fixing (probably the ones with a conscience. They want me to pay for a factory defect to the tune of $1300 for a covered issue.(supposedly)I really feel others and myself are getting shady action on the part of GM honoring there now owned problem. Please help. They are also fixing ign module however long that may be. Thank you and please help (ps) currently in Illinois however car registered in Florida (in Illinois 2 mo).

- Pekin , IL, USA

Jun 132014

Ion

Fuel pump cracked; difficulty steering; ignition switch failed.

- China Spring, TX, USA