NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 11 of 19)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 11 of 19)

May 012011

Ion 4-cyl

I was driving my Saturn Ion and hit a small hole in the road and my power steering went out. This happened about one month ago and ever since, everytime I drive it, the power steering will stop working about once every 5 minutes that I am driving. I do not have the money to keep replacing things on this vehicle, so I have been getting rides from other people.

- Arden, NC, USA

May 122011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated while driving, the power steering lamp illuminated and the steering failed. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 40,820.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

May 182011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving 40 mph, the contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated and she was unable to steer the vehicle. She was able to power the vehicle off and restart as the vehicle operated as normal. The failure recurred intermittently. The dealer advised the contact to bring the vehicle in for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. No repairs were performed. The failure mileage was approximately 42,000.

- Linden , WA, USA

May 092011

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering light comes on and hard to steer. Turn off engine and restart and it works for a short time again. Steering is almost impossible when this happens and would be disastrous on a turn. Can't believe there hasn't been a recall with all the complaints I have seen so far.

- Mission, TX, USA

Apr 272011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving approximately 5 mph the power steering failed. During the failure a power steering light began illuminating on the instrument panel. The vehicle was driven onto the emergency lane and shut off. After a few minutes, the contact restarted the vehicle and the steering functioned normally. Approximately one week later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing and it was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileages were 59,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Denver, CO, USA

Apr 012011

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion level 2. while driving at any speed, the contact noticed that the power steering would fail intermittently, making it impossible to steer the vehicle. The dealer informed the contact that there were no related recalls. The manufacturer confirmed that there were no related recalls. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 32,000 and the failure mileages were 31,800. Updated 05/24/11 updated 05/26/11

- Melbourne Beach, FL, USA

Apr 112011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving approximately 5 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the power steering failed. In addition, the contact stated that when turning the steering wheel, the wheel would become stiff and difficult to maneuver. The was an open investigation for the failure under NHTSA action number: RQ10004 (steering:electric power assist system). The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics or repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Wewahitchka, FL, USA

Mar 312011

Ion 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Saturn Ion 2 with approximately 23000 miles on it. I was driving down the road and all of a sudden the steering got real hard. There was a chime and the odomoter read "pwr ster". I called Saturn and they said to take it to be diagnosed and they may help. Do more people have to die before a recall is issued for this safety issue? all Saturn/GM is doing is trying to Dodge their responsibilities. No vehicle with this low of milage shoud be having this problem. Saturn need to recall all vehicles with this stering system and fix it or the next time there could be lawsuits filed. I turn off the vehicle and restart it and it is back to normal.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Mar 232011

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering went out while driving..light came on..had to pull over..wait..then restarted car then power steering worked..then 20 minutes later it did it again..I had to do the same thing all over again..each time making it very hard to steer this car..especially while driving over 25mph..worst part.. my children(13 & 10)were in the car with me when this happened..this car has only a little over 64,000 miles on it..I've seen where there's a lot of people with the same issue but yet Saturn/GM haven't issued a recall for this..why"? I've even seen where 14 people have died as a result of this..this is scary! exactly how many needs to have a wreck before something is done about this???what's the price of a humans life"

- Seagrove, NC, USA

Mar 112011

Ion

I was driving normally from my workplace to home when my power steering suddenly went out. The power steering message displayed in the message display area. I pulled the car over and restarted the car. The power steering was then fine. For one week I had no problems. Then the same thing happened. When I shut off and restarted the car it was fine again. Now every time I drive for a few minutes the power steering goes out and I have to pull over.

- Marion, IL, USA

Mar 032011

Ion 4-cyl

As I drive my 2007 Saturn Ion I get a "pwr str" failure notice on the dashboard annunciation panel. The power steering then quits and it takes much more muscle to turn the steering wheel. If I turn the ignition off and then restart the engine the system resets and there is a return of the power steering. This just started last week at 61000 miles. It has now happened 3 times.

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Feb 102011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact was driving approximately 55 mph when the power steering suddenly malfunctioned. The failure seemed to only occur when the contact was driving around a curve. The contact turned the vehicle off and after restarting, it resumed normal operation. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The current mileage was approximately 75,000 and the failure mileage was approximately 73,000.

- Louistown, PA, USA

Mar 022011

Ion 4-cyl

I am purchasing a 2007 Saturn Ion 3. when I drive down the road sometimes you will hear a ding, pwr str shows up where the odometer is, and I lose my power steering. I stop and turn the car off then on and I have power steering back. I received a letter from Saturn saying that this might become a problem and they would repair it if the vehicle was less than 10 years old and 100,000 miles or less. Of course my Saturn conveniently is over 100K miles. I called Saturn and all they would say is that I can go have it diagnosed and they might help me. GM has recalled the cobalt for the same problem. 14 people have died because of this problem. Why isn't GM recalling Saturn Ions for this problem?

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 222010

Ion 4-cyl

Intermittent power steering fault/failure.

- Chippewa Falls, WI, USA

Jan 012011

Ion 4-cyl

It started with the key sticking in the ignition. Unable to remove it and had to wait for a clicking noise to know the key released. Now, intermittently, the key will release but the engine will continue to run. The only way to stop it is to put the key back in and turn to accessory. It had done it 4 times in the past 5 days. It is now also having the power steering signal coming on the dash. The sticking key started a couple months ago, while the engine continuing to run and the power steering has been the past week.

- Curwensville, PA, USA

Feb 272011

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering in 2007 Saturn ion2 cuts out randomly and unexpectedly while driving. Turning the engine off, and restarting resets the issue until it cuts out again. Sometimes it goes weeks with out issue and other days it is a repeated and continual problem.

- New Providence, NJ, USA

Feb 202011

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering quit working, making the vehicle difficult to control, particularly at speeds below 30mph. The dealer replaced the power steering motor but claimed that, at 119,877 miles, the vehicle did not qualify for a free replacement from GM.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 152011

Ion 4-cyl

My 2007 Saturn Ion lost power steering ability for no specific reason. The warning screen would flash and beep and then it would stop working. It continued to do it throughout the day at random times. Every time I would turn the engine off and restart it the power steering would work again and then randomly stop working usually as I am driving down the road.

- Newport, NC, USA

Feb 102011

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering fails and the vehicle becomes heavy to steer, particularly at slow speeds. The failure is now occurring every few seconds which sometimes stops for a few hours. Vehicle is a 2007 Saturn Ion with electric power steering. This is the same failure type as experienced on Chevy cobalt and Pontiac G5.

- Bridgeville, DE, USA

Jan 302011

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering on my 2007 Saturn Ion froze while driving in light traffic. I strong-armed the wheel to move it from the traffic lane. I turned off the ignition and turned it on again. The warning light shut off and I was able to drive the car home. This was the first incident. I looked up power steering in the owner manual and was instructed to have the vehicle serviced. (the vehicle has 24, 281 miles on it I purchased it new from a dealership in October 2007.)

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA