NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 16 of 19)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 16 of 19)

Mar 212010

Ion

My 2007 Saturn Ion's power steering goes out while driving everytime it's in use. Being the only transportation for me and my two kids, I feel like this is a serious safety concern. Seems like alot of people are having the same issues. What would it take for this issue to be recalled??

- Durham, NC, USA

Mar 172010

Ion

Ion that the steering is being so hard to turn. Purchase the car and after 20,000 miles on it the car begin to go down. But the worst is the steering. The tires were no good the window wipers were no good.

- Bethlehem, GA, USA

Mar 242010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion 2. the contact stated that at various speeds, the steering failed; the steering light illuminated accompanied by a knock from the instrument panel. The contact had to turn the vehicle off and restart it so that the power steering would function properly. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired at the time of the complaint but the contact believed that the failure was related to recall 10V073000 (steering: Electric power assist system). The failure mileage was approximately 44,000. The current mileage was approximately 45,000.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Apr 082010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving at a speeds of 5 mph the power steering light illuminated on the warning panel, immediately followed by the vehicle stalling. The contact was able to restart the engine but found there was limited steering power. The contact found it extremely difficult to steer. The dealer had not yet been contacted and there had been no repairs made to the vehicle. The failure and current mileages were 18,000.

- Concord, CA, USA

Mar 282010

Ion

Power steering comes and goes several times a day. Very scary when it goes out on a curve. Took it for an oil change and "27 point" inspection at the dealership, curious to see if they would notice. They checked it off as good. My car is currently at 40,000 miles.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Mar 142010

Ion

I was driving on the interstate getting on the ramp and the prw str light came on the dash. My steering wheel locked immediately and I could not turn. I managed to make it to my destination but was almost hit due to the fact that I could not turn. It would reset when the car was turned off then the light would go off again and the steering wheel would tighten up on me. It has happened up to 20 times a day. I have almost had three accidents because of the loss of power steering. I had to have the motors replaced at the dealership for the cost of over $ 800. Three hours after I left the dealership the light came on again and the steering wheel locked up. I had to take it back to the dealership and another part had to be replace. This is a safety issue than needs to be included with the current recall.

- Brownsville, TN, USA

Mar 152010

Ion

The electric power steering goes out at various times some times multiple times in a day and then not again for days. We can not pinpoint any particular action to set this problem in motion. To fix when this happens we must pull off the road and shut car off an wait a few minutes and then restart. My young daughter drives this car and has had some close calls due to this failure, its a potential death trap! start a recall now before someone is killed ! I now have the car parked in my driveway and my daughter is driving my wife's car cause of the risk of accident potential. In my investigating this problem it seems this has been a problem since 2003 in the Saturn Ions and that the steering motor etc is the same as the Chevy cobalt which was recalled. I urge you to not delay and do the right thing, issue that recall now!!! nothing has been done to this car in regards to the problem as I can not afford the dealer fix and it would not make sense to replace with another faulty motor and sensor setup!!! no wonder GM has dropped Saturn they know they have been a problem for years!!!! my vehicle is a Saturn Ion 2007 has 27,165 miles on the odometer. I hope you act on this before someone dies and then becomes like the Toyota fiasco!!!!!

- Mayville, WI, USA

Apr 012010

Power steering failure

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 252010

Ion

The electric power steering in my 2007 Saturn Ion will fail randomly. To date it has failed twice, once at 70 mph driving straight and once at 55 mph going around a curve. This problem fits recall 10V073000 as the parts and system are the same on each car.

- St Joseph , MO, USA

Mar 102010

Ion

I was driving my 2007 Saturn Ion when the electric power steering went out. There was no warning - the indicator light came on and the power steering was gone. I was lucky enough to be able to maneuver the car off the highway, where I put in park, turned it off and waited a few minutes before turning it back on. Remarkably, as quickly as the problem appeared, it went away and I was able to get back on the highway with not further problems but when I started researching the problem online I found many other complains of the same exact nature. Saturn of course will replace the steering column for about $900. There are several other complaints related to this same problem. This is unsafe and scary as hell. You can't be driving a car when the steering goes out without warning! check the internet, there are tons of complaints about this issue and something should be done. Here's a good place to start....?Q=&page=6

- Manchester, NH, USA

Mar 032010

Ion

Power steering goes out while driving then comes back on when I restart car if I dont use car for a couple of days then the power steering will work for a week then it starts going out randomly again

- Moorpark, CA, USA

Feb 112009

Ion

2007 Saturn Ion. Power steering intermittantly cut out with a chime and message of pwr str on the dash board. Turning off the power and restarting the vehicle would allow the power steering to reset. Dealership replaced power steering power assist motor to fix issue

- Vail, AZ, USA

Mar 242010

Ion

2007 Saturn Ion. Approx 54000 miles. Driving on the express way and the power steering went out without warning. Heard several dings from the instrument panel. I could steer the vehicle with much effort. Happened again at a slower speed, vehicle was much harder to steer! good thing it wasn't a mile or two earlier when it went out, as I was in a highway construction area with no emergency lanes! I could not pull over safely if I needed to. I had to wait until I could pull over and turned the car off, looked to see if I could see a problem, but this car has electric steering. Started the car back up and the problem went away until the next day.this vehicle was intended for my 18 yr. Old daughter to drive, but I doubt she would have to strength to muscle the steering wheel if it happens while she is driving. This to me would be a serious safety concern, as it happens without warning.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Mar 202010

Ion

Saturn Ion 2007. Loses power steering and you have to turn the motor off and restart to regain power. This was rare at the beginning but happens frequently now.

- Manteca , CA, USA

Mar 182010

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While traveling at speeds of 45 mph, the power steering light illuminated, on the warning panel immediately followed by loss of steering control. The dealer replaced the power steering motor. The failure has not recurred. The failure mileage was 64,000 and the current was 64,000.

- Kissemee, FL, USA

Mar 202010

Ion

My 2007 Saturn Ion occasionally loses power steering. When it does, the car chimes 3 times and displays pwr str on the odometer display. This happened once last month, once yesterday, and 3 times today. It seems to be truly random, as I drove 80 miles before the first incident today, only a couple of minutes the other three times, and 90 miles without incident after the final occurrence today. Power steering remains out until I cycle the ignition switch. I found that I could switch to off and back on quickly enough to keep the engine running, and even this brief interruption in power was enough to reset the fault. This is a serious problem, as the car is very hard to steer without power steering. I fear that my wife may not be strong enough to "muscle" the car in this condition. A quick internet scan indicates that this has been a common problem for several model years, and other GM cars with identical components have been recalled, but not Saturn. Please instigate a prompt investigation and get the recall going for these Saturn defects. This is obviously a control module problem since it is so easy to reset, and is not related to the motor itself or overheating, since no cooldown period is required to restore operation. The GM solution seems to be replacing the entire steering column for $1200! this is unacceptable.

- Taylorsville, UT, USA

Mar 192010

Ion

Power steering goes out intermittently when restarting the car it appears to work again for a while. There does not appear to be any pattern as to what causes the power steering to stop working.

- Fargo, ND, USA

Dec 112009

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact was driving approximately between 10-15 mph, without warning there was a loss of power steering. The contact pulled over to the side of the road with caution. The engine was turned off and restarted. The vehicle was able to continue in operation. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was in the process of being taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Pa Furnance, PA, USA

Mar 152010

Ion

For the past three weeks, the power steering on my 2007 Saturn Ion turns off while I'm driving. I have to turn off the car and re-start it. It has happened while I'm going over 55 mph on the highway. It happens at least 6 times per day.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Mar 072010

Ion

While driving my 2007 Saturn Ion's power steering stops working and the pwr str message is given on the console. This is a huge safety issue as the car is very hard to steer when the power steering goes out.

- Hooper, UT, USA