NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 6 of 19)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 6 of 19)

Jan 112013

Ion 4-cyl

Lost power steering at 40 mph, car chimed & pwr str appeared on dash display. Filled up gas tank and steering worked. Got on highway and lost steering at 65mph. Shut off car at destination and steering was ok all the way home.there is no way my wife or daughter (possibly with my 2 grandsons) could steer the car at any speed without power steering.

- Camillus, NY, USA

Dec 032012

• 1,000,000 miles
Power steering goes out at random times while driving. Very hard to steer and make turns. Have called about having it fixed, there is no recall listed, but over 800 complaints of the same thing happening.

- Tishomingo, MS, USA

Nov 132012

Ion

When I driver my vehicle the steering stiffer up as I driver it down the road.

- Bearden, AR, USA

Dec 302012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the vehicle became difficult to steer. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder and was later towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic and was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the issue. The failure and current mileages were 95,000.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Dec 122012

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering failed while driving caused near crash situation. GM not ready to fix the issue.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 142012

Ion 4-cyl

My Saturn Ion 2007 power steering failed while I was driving resulting in near crash situation as steering all-most jammed. Company is not ready to fix the power steering issue in-spite of extended warranty on power steering.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 302012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while attempting to make a left turn, the power steering warning light illuminated as the vehicle became extremely difficult to steer. The vehicle was able to be driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure and current mileages were 46,000. The VIN was not available.

- North Pole, AK, USA

Nov 052012

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering light has come on several times in my vehicle. It then loses power steering. If I turn the car off and back on it works again. I have called around and been told the part in my car is the same part that was recalled in the Chevy cobalt.

- Lampasas, TX, USA

Oct 112012

Ion

We bought a 2007 Saturn Ion for my daughter's first car about a year and a half ago. Several months ago she was coming home from school traveling down interstate 5 going about 65 miles an hour when all of a sudden her power steering shut off and jerked, causing her to almost hit the car in the next lane. Now every time she drives her car, about 12 or so minutes in, the power steering will shut off again. If you shut the car off and restart it, it's fine for a while, until it shuts off again. It does this every time she drives, without fail. She's scared to drive her car long distances, fearing that it will turn off again and cause an accident. Upon researching I discovered many other complaints describing exactly the same results with 2007 Saturn Ions. I'm afraid that, being a new driver, my daughter's safety, and the safety of others, is in jeopardy.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Nov 042012

Ion 4-cyl

Was driving down I-70 at 70mph and power steering message came on and chimed a few times. Then, the steering wheel was locked up and hard to turn. Pulled into gas station to check under hood, but didn't notice anything. Then got back in the car and turned it on and the steering was fine. Purchased Saturn Ion in October 2007 and still have extended warranty coverage. Will GM cover power steering issue? thank you!

- Columbia, MO, USA

Oct 192012

Ion

I was driving home going about 55 mph when a signal light came on saying power steering. The steering wheel was very hard to turn almost causing a car accident with 3 cars.

- Boyce, LA, USA

Oct 192012

Ion

Power steering stopped working, it will start working again if I shut off the car and restart it. The failure repeats itself after a few min.

- Spokane , WA, USA

Oct 122012

Ion

As I was driving on a street at about 20 mph the power steering light went on and soon after the steering wheel got stiff and locked up. Luckily I was able to maneuver and the car still and pull over. I am very lucky that I was not driving on the freeway at high speed. This is very dangerous and am concerned that it is such a documented problem and still there is no recall.

- West Covina, CA, USA

Oct 082012

Ion 4-cyl

I currently own a '07 Saturn Ion and just yesterday my power steering display light came on shortly after that I was unable to turn my steering wheel luckily I was able to move to the side and called for help.

- Huntington Park, CA, USA

Oct 052012

Ion

Power steering light went on and lost power steering. Once vehicle was shut off and turned back on, problem resolved. Next time I was driving, I lost power steering again while I was driving.

- Hopkins, MN, USA

Sep 012012

Ion 4-cyl

Shortly after starting vehicle pwr str is displayed and the power steering quits working completely. It started a few weeks ago. It used to work for a block or two after the car was first started. Now it happens as soon as the car starts moving. I know GM has extended the warranty because of problems with power steering, but it doesn't cover my vehicle because it has more than 100K miles. Shouldn't this be a recall situation?

- La Center, WA, USA

Sep 072012

Ion 4-cyl

The power steering failed completely while driving in close quarters on the university of Georgia campus, . I was narrowly able to avoid hitting a telephone pole when turning off the road. After stalling and restarting the car, it worked for 3-4 minutes before again failing completely. Using repeated cycles of driving until it failed, turning the car off, then restarting it, I was able to safely get home, but the power steering continued to fail recurrently just a few minutes after each restart.

- Macon, GA, USA

Aug 262012

Ion 4-cyl

Exiting off I-40 West onto the hermitage exit the car beeped 3X and then the power steering went out.

- Bon Aqua, TN, USA

Nov 162011

Ion 4-cyl

2007 Saturn Ion 3 manual sedan 1.) fuel pump delivery system recall and has been repaired after a serious fuel leak was detected. 2.)purge flow solenoid- engine light came on after the pump delivery system was detected but was not repaired because it was not included in recall. Car gets very little gas mileage because the fuel to oxygen ratio being off. Every time I go to the gas station I cannot get my car to start. It doesn't matter if I have half of a tank of gas or almost on empty. It takes several tries and only starts after I rev the engine because the fuel to oxygen ratio and the fuel pump floods my car as soon as the fuel pump is engaged. I know that after this happens so many times that it will cause the starter to burn up in my car. 3.) ignition switch- cannot turn key on as if the steering wheel is locked/ cannot turn key off/ take key out and car is still running! disconnect battery to shut the car off. 4.) electronic power steering- acts as if the power steering has a short. While driving with speeds as little as 15mph in a residential neighbor hood or 70mph on the interstate. The power steering light comes on and all power steering is lost and becomes almost impossible to drive. After shutting the car off and restarting the car the power steering works but shortly after it fails again. This happens every time I drive my car. The first time this happened I was on an exit ramp on the interstate with a very sharp curve. I could barely control the vehicle. Needless to say my children are no longer allowed to ride in this car until it is repaired.

- Hixson, TN, USA

Aug 122012

Ion

When parallel parking and the wheel is turned all the way in one direction then the other, the power steering fails. It is then impossible to turn the car on a tight turn radius even with significant driver effort, making parallel parking dangerous. The car must be turned off, the steering wheel cranked from side to side, then restarted before the power steering reactivates and the wheel turns normally.

- Baltimore, MD, USA