2007 Saturn Ion steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 1 of 16)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 16)

Apr 212014

Ion

Message "pwr str", loss of power steering assist. Shutting off ignition temporarily fixed issue and regained power assist, however issue continually crops up, 6 or 7 times during a normally 25 minute/18mile drive home from work. I was driving with cruise control on a straight highway, no sharp turns, an apparently unprovoked failure. I see there is a 3/31/2014 recall for this particular failure but I have not yet received any notification of it, though I have received notification of a later 4/10/2014 recall having to do with the ignition switch. Vehicle mileage reported is approximate, not sure exact mileage but right around 113,000.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Dec 102013

Ion

TL- the contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated exiting a major the highway traveling around 25 mph suddenly, the vehicle lost power steering causing the contact to drive in to a pole. The contact was inquired and required dental work because his month hit the steering wheel. The air bags did not deploy. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacture and dealer were not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jan 012013

Ion 4-cyl

2007 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to free ignition replacement when parts are available and airbag recall notices. The consumer stated the power steering locked up in January 2013.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Dec 022013

Ion

I lost power steering while driving on local roads (this happened 4 times between mid-November and early December) I was barely able to control the car to get it off the road, shut it down and restart it - at which time the power steering was working. It would then go out again as noted and the power steering message came on. At first I thought there was some water damage as the first time it happened was right after a car wash so I figured it would dry out and be all right. It seemed that way until it recurred again. I then brought it in to wallace Chevrolet in stuart fl for repair. I was quite surprised to learn that this repair was at no charge. My car is 7 years old but the power steering motor control module was replaced at N/C part 19257875. It appears the company knew of the problem and had a program for it but did not notify owners. Frankly I could have been killed or killed someone else if this had happened when I was driving on I-95. It would have been nearly impossible to steer off the highway at those speeds and no power steering. It still frightens me when I think about this. My car is also involved in the ignition switch recall.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Mar 312014

Ion

My wife was driving with our 2 children, when the power steering light came on, and lost steering. She was able to muscle the car into a parking lot. She restarted vehicle and issue went away temporarily. It is now happening more frequently. Comes and goes

- Rumford, RI, USA

Mar 242014

Ion

Making an turn and the power steering goes out. Will not return, has to be forced. Almost slammed into an car. Tried calling Saturn can't get through.

- Glendale Hts, IL, USA

Apr 022014

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that when the brakes were applied, the steering wheel suddenly veered to the left causing the vehicle to nearly crash into a cement median. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 145,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 262014

Ion

I had just made a right turn into a side street and was proceeding down a slight hill when I heard three quick tones from the dashboard. A message that the power steering had failed appeared where the odometer is on the dash. I was able to steer the car to the curb. I turned the ignition off and then restarted the car and the power steering functioned again. The same problem has happened once in each of the three days following that initial incident.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Mar 232014

Ion

Recvd ign sw recall (trbl w/keys hard to get out of ign sw & wont turn to off position increasingly getting worse ;ran batt dwn.jmp strted car ok but now transmission stays in first gear, hard steering w/dic reads pwr steering.its my 23 year old daughter's car senior student @Ohio university'stuck @ small GM used car dealer that insists shifter need to be replaced @ $500 plus first w/no guantee to fix trbl before any other repairs that I believe should fall under GM ign sw recall & GM hard steering extended warranty offered seen on line news re:Saturn Ion disclosers since Feb 2014 @ no cost to me.never had transmission shift/hard steering problems ever till now but ign sw has been a plague several years now!

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Nov 292013

Ion

In December, 2012 we purchased a 2007 Saturn Ion from a local dealer. Shortly after purchase we had issues with the electrical system and the ignition key which we contacted the dealer about and were reassured that it was no cause for concern, subsequently we allowed my significant other's daughter to take the vehicle to college with her as she needed a form of transportation at school. On black Friday, 2013 she encountered a minor motor vehicle accident in a parking lot where it is my understanding the vehicle shut off. I have contacted General Motors and requested a courtesy vehicle for her which they had agreed to provide through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's web site and they state one excuse after another why they cannot do this. General Motors has exhibited a complete lack of any concern for the driver's safety and they are now at the point where they want my significant other to drive 500 miles across state pick up her vehicle, take it to a dealer and pick up a rental car, which will cost her a $50 deposit and when the repair, which is a manufacturers defect, is finally completed she should do this all over again without any compensation from GM. This is totally unacceptable and in complete conflict with what GM has told the NHTSA they would do. At this point in time, I respectfully request NHTSA investigate this matter and propose an agreeable resolution.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jun 222010

Ion

After my day of driving I pulled into my driveway at my home and put my car into the park gear and continued to remove my key--the key would not turn to off position. It had locked into place. I had to call my husband to come home and help me. He too tried. It would not turn to the off position. The only way we got the car to turn off the engine was to disconnect the battery cables. The key stayed in the on position. I had to contact the GM dealer the next morning -- I had to have my car towed to the dealership in frederick, Maryland. I was repaired and I was charged a total of $512.36 I received a recall letter today March 14, 2014 stating there is a recall 14063 the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration campaign id number for this recall is 14V-047 since this has already affected my car and I have paid I am requesting reimbursement.

- Boonsboro, MD, USA

Mar 012010

Ion

The power cuts off when hitting a bump/jarring and car loses all automatic features--power steering, power brakes. Especially likely with heavy key chain. Has happened multiple times since I purchased the vehicle in 2009, but more in past two years. Occurs when pulling into driveways of stores, hitting pothole, etc. This is the Saturn "sister" car to the Chevy cobalt ss and of same year at that recent recall.

- Caro, MI, USA

Feb 132013

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the power steering assist failed with the illumination of the warning indicator. The vehicle was driven to an authorized dealer, who replaced the power steering motor kit, a blown fuse, the harness connectors and the power connector however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- South Hampton, NJ, USA

Dec 092013

Ion 4-cyl

Luckily the first incident occurred when I was driving on a fairly straight state route. The car's alert system dinged then displayed and error of "pwrsteer". I could, at speed, feel that the power steering was gone. I made it home and turned off the car. When I started the car to go out later the power steering was working for about 3 miles, then the car's alert system dinged and the pwrsteer message was displayed again. It has been approximately 30 hours since the 1st incident and every time I start the car I have power steering but the power steering goes out within 10 - 15 minutes of any drive.

- Defiance, OH, USA

Nov 272013

Ion

My wife and I were traveling to see family for thanksgiving. About 100 miles into the trip the power steering indicator came on the dash and a beep sounded. I was traveling on a interstate highway in va going about 70 mph. I was still able to maintain control of the vehicle but was concerned. I was traveling with my son, pregnant wife, and grandmother. I am glad the issue happened while I was driving as my wife or grandmother might not have been able to control the vehicle as well traveling at high speeds. I searched online and this appears to be something people have been dealing with for many years. Even if a full recall is not done. I believe the automaker should be responsible for fixing those vehicle that have reported this issue. Our Saturn Ion is a 2007 and was bought used in 2009. There was no issue with the steering until November of 2013.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 012013

Ion

My power steering quit working.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Oct 102012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, there was a complete loss of power steering with the illumination of the warning indicator as the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact applied force to the steering wheel in order to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who stated that the failure was contributed to the power steering column. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 092013

Ion 4-cyl

Electronic power steering failed while driving resulting in very difficult steering of the vehicle. After turning vehicle off the back on the power steering started working. Power steering has failed again and did again start working after turning vehicle off.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Aug 172013

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering warning light illuminated as the steering became difficult to maneuver. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 64,570.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 022013

Ion 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle the power steering light came on and the power steering went out. When the car is turned off and restarted the light goes out and the power steering comes back on for a period of time, sometimes minutes, sometimes days. The power steering eventually goes out again at random intervals.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA