2007 Saturn Ion steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 1 of 18)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 18)

Jun 062015

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While reversing out of the garage, the steering wheel seized and the power steering light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,046.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Sep 162014

In September 2014, the power steering on my 2007 Saturn Ion went out. I had it towed to a dealership and had the power steering motor replaced under a recall. The power steering went out again a few days later but came on again after a day. I took it to a different dealership and they were unable to find a problem. The problem occurred again in June 2015 and happened twice in four days. I took it back to the dealership that did the original power steering motor repair and was told that the power steering column had failed and that the column was not affected by the massive 2014 recall. The repair is going to cost $950. I am skeptical, particularly after reading several similar complaints, that this is not a systemic problem and it could be a serious safety issue if the power steering fails while driving.

- Marshall, MI, USA

Mar 232015

I started the car and heard the chimes and saw a message appear where the odometer mile appears - power steering. I was parked in between two cars and I had no power steering. It seemed to go out. The car was very hard to maneuver to backup in between the two cars and into the shoulder lane. I was close to hitting one of the park cars. Once in the shoulder lane I turn car off and restarted the car. The car went back to power steering. I had taken the car for the recall back in October and the problem was supposedly fix when I complained that above the 60 mph I was loosing control of the steering wheel. I called Saturn customer service today and at first gave me a no saying the problem had been fixed. I explained to them that they were deceiving the customers by putting a quick fix on the issue and not completely resolving the issue. Analogy of a bandaid on a deep wound. Unfortunately, I need my car and need to drive it but I am scared for my family safety. I am taking it back tomorrow to the dealership to diagnose the issue again. I hope they make it right this time around.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 202015

The intermediate steering shaft seized resulting in loss of electronic assisted steering and failure of steering wheel to return to center. This is the same issue that has was recalled in the Chevrolet cobalt and Pontiac G5 of the same model years which use identical parts, but the Saturn Ion was inexplicably excluded from the recall.

- Palos Park, IL, USA

Nov 012014

The contact owns 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the power steering seized. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the VIN was not included on the campaign. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Bellmawr, NJ, USA

Feb 062015

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who diagnosed that the steering fuse needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 134,760.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 152014

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While attempting to park the vehicle, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering suspension and the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 89,000.

- Roseland, NJ, USA

Mar 172014

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the power steering and alarm warning lights illuminated and a chime sounded. There was also a total loss of power steering. The vehicle was pulled over and the contact noticed that the steering strut was fractured. The power steering column failed and was replaced. The failures recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, who diagnosed code C0550 (failure of power steering assembly). The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure was related to NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 77,195.

- Dallastown, PA, USA

Dec 192014

While driving on city streets at approx. 25 miles an hour the steering wheel disengaged from the steering mechanism. This was very frightening for my daughter. The vehicle was pushed into a parking lot. We spoke with the manufacture and we were told to that the vehicle did not have any recalls that were outstanding. We had the vehicle towed to the the nearest dealership to be evaluated. We were told that the steering coupling was broken and needed to be replaced. This we had done. We were very fortunate that this did not occur while driving on the freeway. The complete disconnection of the steering from the rest of the vehicle is something gravely serious. This something that the NHTSA should look into.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Dec 272014

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 78,000. Updated 03/10/15

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 012014

Letter from senator warner on behalf of constituent re Saturn Ion recall (attn: Shane clem). The consumer was informed on several occasions, the parts were not available. When the parts did arrive, he was informed the machine was broken. There was a recall, regarding a steering issue as well. The consumer had to return to the dealer, because he continued to experience problems with the steering.

- Oakton, VA, USA

Nov 032014

Ion 4-cyl

2007 Saturn Ion. Consumer received the first recall and was told by the dealer the parts were not available. He was told the same thing when the 2nd recall arrived. The consumer referenced recall # 14V153000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Nov 062014

Car was parked tried to start would not start with jump. Had towed determined problem with starter. Fixed overnight drove off lot then lost power steering same night just avoided accident. Found out recalls on both total of 8 on this vehicle. Only had since 8/1/2014 never advised of any recalls on vehicle and mccafferty Ford in langhorne, pa did not offer to assist advised its not their responsibility to check recalls. Car can be driven 10-15mins then steering locks up. Have to wait for car to cool down then steering comes back, 10-15 mins same problem. There is also recalls related to air bags.

- Willow Grove, PA, USA

Nov 032014

I purchased the vehicle in March 2014. On 7/17/2014 the ignition switch was replaced at asheville Chevrolet in asheville nc. I had not had any issues with the ignition at that time. On 11/3/14 the car stalled while I was driving. I took it the the dealership on 11/5/14. The dealership kept the car for 11/5 and 11/6 and replaced the ignition coil and spark plugs and stated that is needed a map sensor repaired. They verbally informed me that they checked the ignition switch again and checked the fuel pump for leakage (which was another recall). I drove the car home on 11/6/14 and it stalled again within 20 minutes. I called the dealership back on 11/7/14 and was informed that technician that worked on it was not there and they would call me back on Monday (11/10). On 11/10 I talked with the dealership again and was informed that the technician that worked on the car was fired on 11/7 and I could bring it back in for them to check it. I took the car to another mechanic on 11/10 who could not do any work as the computer needed to be "flashed" as it had not been reset when work was done by the dealer which prevented them from identifying any issues that may exist. I brought it back in on 11/11 and informed them that the car is still stalling with the exact same issue that I brought it in on 11/5. the dealership could not confirm that anything was ever checked regarding the ignition switch replacement and stated that the already replaced the recalled ignition switch. They further refused to reset the computer and denied the need for any further work. The vehicle continues to stall when the car is driving and the dealer is well aware of this issue though they refuse to take any action.

- Fletcher, NC, USA

Jun 102014

Car impacted by three recalls 14V047, 14V171, 14V153 contacted dealership in June- no parts, registered with dealership October told parts are on order. Dealership advised there are 700 consumers on their recall list, to date they have been able to service 100. Neither GM or dealership can provide any timeline for when might be able to expect repair. At the least, as a consumer having a timeframe for repair would help us weigh options, particularly while we are forced to put our families at risk due to the continued unavailability of parts.

- Towson, MD, USA

Oct 102014

I cranked car power steering would not work. Turn car off restarted car still no power steering turn car off raised hood could not see anything wrong. Restarted car third time power steering work ok.week later same problem with power steering turn car off restarted worked fine.this car has a salvage title GM will not cover this (bulletin 14115)because of title.if it was a recall they would pay for repair.I have never been notify by GM of this problem. Found all my information thru your web site.don't understand why this problem is not classed as a recall. I don't think I could have turn steering wheel if I had been moving in the car at slow rate of speed..with car not moving could not turn steering wheel at all

- Dunn, NC, USA

Oct 152009

I have had both my power steering, ignition, and repairs completed regarding the gas leak pertaining to recalls. However, even after the supposed "fix, " the vehicle has still not been repaired. These issues happened initially while the vehicle was still under warranty, however, GM is now just acknowledging them, although there are service bulletins that prove they knew at the time, so now they are only offering me repeated failed repairs or money towards another GM vehicle. GM vehicle's that are brand new, to which they are still recalling! I want my money back period! GM refuses to acknowledge or take responsibility for flooding the market with faulty vehicles. Please help, I'm interested in filing suit. I was already involved in one accident, regarding the power steering, years ago when it just went out, they claimed they didn't know about it, and I paid for the repairs, only to have received a letter a year ago, stating it still wasn't repaired, I took it back, and now got a letter again yesterday saying it needs to be repaired. I have children and this is our only mode of transportation, I do not feel safe in this vehicle and I certainly don't feel that they are able to repair the vehicle, nor do I trust anything GM saids at this point. Please help.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 132014

I was driving at speed limit from I 75 to rochester road at 7:50 am. All of sudden, I felt steering got very hard to turn and stuck at pointing to right, I tried my best to turn the steering wheel, but no success, car span off the road into the ditch, back of the car ended up on an electric pole. No airbag deployment. No other cars hurt. Someone called 911. I felt ok at the moment. 2 hours later felt dizzy. Based on how odd the steering felt, I think I had experienced a sudden power steering loss. Luckily the car did not hit the pole first, otherwise I could have died.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Jun 102014

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Oct 092014

I just have a question. I received a recall notice for my car today, October 10, 2024. I called immediately and the first appointment to get it repaired is December 30th. I don't think that is a reasonable length of time. My question is, is it safe and reasonable to have to wait this long?

- Midlothian, VA, USA