2004 Saturn L300 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Saturn L300:

2004 Saturn L300 Owner Comments

May 042014

L300 Sedan 2.2L 4 cyl

click to see larger images

fire destroyed vehicle fire destroyed vehicle fire destroyed vehicle fire destroyed vehicle

Driving home on the PA turnpike I noticed my car slowing. The engine light, as well as the battery light and oil light came on. I was confused, as I had recently had the car fully checked and oil changed. Smoke began pouring out of the hood, and there was several flashes from under the car. "POP, POP,POP," it was as if firecrackers were being set off directly under me. I wasn't at a safe point to pull off, but since the the gas pedal no longer had any effect, I was forced to pull over, still on the highway. The smoke poured from outside, and inside. I turned on my flashers, and was hesitant to get out, as it was 130 am, and I was on a major highway. I was delirious from the smoke, when I noticed flickering, what seemed like flames coming from the underside of the car. I got out to investigate, and sure enough, the bottom side of the car had caught flame. I backed away facing the car, and in about 30-40 seconds the car was engulfed. In less than two minutes, there was a small explosion. My car is completely totaled, and the majority of what was inside has been burned beyond use. The investigation is currently underway, I would recommend against purchasing a vehicle from GM. I am having PTSD symptoms because of what happened, and my life has been dramatically impacted, and turned upon itself.

Update from May 9, 2014: There are 3 places in the engine that exploded. I am very, very lucky that I was not in the car when it blew up. I will be signing the title over to Progressive insurance tomorrow and going to the salvage yard to see if anything in the trunk of the car is usable.... The car is a TOTAL LOSS!

- , Wilkes Barre, PA, USA