2007 Saturn Outlook electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Outlook:

2007 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Mar 122014

Roof leaks from sunroof /moonroof. Everytime it rains my 2007 Saturn Outlook roof leaks. The water travels into the pillars and where the air bags are stored in the columns. I am not sure if this will effect air bag operation or deployment. Leaks into the glove box and behind dashboard as well as into the rear passenger / storage area. The floors are saturated and the vehicle smells of mold. Random dashboard lights come on periodically.

- Glassboro, NJ, USA

Feb 022009

There were several incidents where the electrical system would shut down while driving. You would lose steering, braking, radio, and A/C. there was never an accident. The problem was reported to the dealer during an oil change, but they could not find a problem. I no longer own the vehicle, but after hearing about the latest recall, I noticed that the Outlook was not included. There should possibly be a widening of the affected models due to safety concerns with this model. My family had 7-10 incidents, but none were at speeds above 45 mph. Please feel free to contact me concerning this.

- Fort. Huachuca, AZ, USA

Dec 132013

I own a 2007 Saturn Outlook. Yesterday, our low beam headlamp on the drivers side went out. Thinking it would be a simple repair, I bought replacement bulbs. As I did the repair, I found that it was not the bulb at all, but a wiring harness that had frayed and sheared itself off. What was odd to me is that in order to access the lamp, I had to remove a number of protective shields, I.e. the fender skirt, and then the end cap protecting the lamp. How could anything possibly get in and shear the wire if it was that well protected? when researching this issue, I am finding that it is becoming a much more common issue that I had anticipated. I strongly recommend issuing a recall notice out to prevent other owners from experiencing the same issue I am having.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jun 102013

Outlook 6-cyl

We purchased this 2007 Outlook back in April of this year. The dealership gave us a sheet that purported to indicate that the vehicle had gone through a full inspection and was clean. We live in North Florida and have had a lot of rain lately. Every time it rains, water gets into the doors and into the vehicle itself - we can hear it sloshing around in the doors and in the dash of the vehicle - and there will be water, as much as half an inch, on the floorboards of the vehicle. This is wreaking havoc with the electrical system, and sometimes there will be the smell of something burning. The fans, particularly in the back of the vehicle, are running intermittently; there is a crackling noise that comes through the radio speakers even when the radio system is turned off, and there is so much moisture in the vehicle that the windows fog, making it impossible to see, and the fog is difficult to clear even with the defrost system because it's not being caused by cool temperatures but rather by the moisture in the vehicle. Yesterday, I drove it to walmart and then home after work with no problems, parked it in our driveway, and didn't leave the house the rest of the day; this morning, we went outside, and when my husband put the key in the ignition to start the car, it wouldn't start at all, and then he couldn't get his key out of the ignition; we had to lock the doors manually and leave it there with the keys in it. Back in June, one of our local news stations reported on a recall of 194,000 GM SUVS for similar issues with water leaking into the doors and that GM would be contacting owners of affected models to bring their vehicles in for repairs, but we have not received any kind of notification from GM, and ours is obviously one of the vehicles affected.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jul 142012

Outlook 6-cyl

After a strong rain storm that lasted most of the night wok up to find out that the ac blower will not work in the front of the car only the back blower for rear passengers worked. With the blower being out there is no defrost for the front windshield as well. Went online and found on the Saturn forum a youtube video on water damage 2009-11-13 tsb 07-08-57-002F the video clearly shows how to remove the blower motor and check for water damage, took my blower motor out and found the motor locked up with one of the motor screws showing oxidation from water and electricity contact and the cover where the blow motor sits has a pad that has water marks.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 152012

Outlook 6-cyl

Sunroof started leaking and leaked into the fuse boxes and cause the fuse box and wires to corrode which caused the car to not shut off could drive down the road shut the car off and take the key out and it would still run.

- Stafforsville, KY, USA

Mar 012008

Outlook 6-cyl

We have had problems starting from a few months after purchase. Fast forward to Jan 2012 we had a major leak inside the car. Water making a "swishing" sound overhead from water storing in the headliner. Water was coming from air bags, shade covers, below the glove box, and inside the windows. Had a major leak in passenger floor. The air hasn't worked since Sept. And makes a loud "hissing" sound, instrument panel just disappears, drivers side headlight goes on and off. GM won't do anything. Took to dealer and paid $640 to fix headliner leak, but reading other posts it's a matter of time before it will leak again. All other issues still not working and all due to water leaking in. This is so scary and frustrating that nothing has been done about this. Lots of complaints for the same issues all over and other sites. We can't afford to fix all this, or get rid of the car. And who would buy it with all the issues?? please help all us owners!!

- Covington, GA, USA

Oct 012012

Outlook 6-cyl

The driver's side headlight will work for awhile but then it will go out. The light will start working again (at least temporarily) I can switch from the "auto" light setting to "manual" and back again and it comes on for a moment then goes back out. I have read on several different websites that this is a common problem with the cause being the wiring harness for the lights. This appears to be a defect in the parts/materials used and should have a recall on it. I can't afford to pay what the dealership is asking to repair it, my son won't even ride with me at night B/C he's so afraid we will be stopped and get a traffic ticket. Please help!

- Covington, GA, USA

Mar 052013

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side low beam bulb was out. Bought replacement bulbs but none of them worked. Inspected harness and it appears that the connector is melted/damaged somehow.

- Holland, MI, USA

Mar 012010

Outlook 6-cyl

Our 2007 Saturn Outlook experienced complete system failure -ie everything turned off while driving - more than once. After many trips, some by tow truck, to the dealership service department, GM finally resolved the issue by replacing the car's computer. This was after several near death experiences driving the car and suddenly being without brakes or steering. Now the car leaks, filling the floor mats with water, splashing the driver with water at every change of speed. The seatbelts have black mold, and starting last week, the car isnt starting, likely due to water in the electrical system. We believe the water coming out of the air bag holes may prevent the air bags from functioning properly in a crash. We are not alone with these problems. Please see ' Saturn leaking sunroof' forum on for many more customer complaints just like ours. We have been in touch with GM but expect to be told to 'go to the dealer'.. again. The Chevy dealer we use does not know how to resolve the issue, despite it being a widespread problem with this car (also the other makes of this same model). We do not believe the car is safe. This car was a lemon from the start, but nothing has been done about it.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 222012

Started car after work, right headlight did not come on. Took it into the shop, had it replaced, $165. Two weeks later left head light went out. A week after, right headlight went out again. Took car into shop and paid double for both to be replaced. One month later left headlight went out again. Was told by mechanic that harness for headlight had melted and needs replacing as well. Have invested almost $700 in headlight repair in 12 weeks.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Oct 022012

Outlook 6-cyl

1st incident: 10/02/2011 I was merging on to the highway, when I noticed my headlights became dim. I noticed by the reflection on the car in front of me that my driver side headlamp was out so I stop to buy a set of replacement bulbs. As I got in the car to go home from the auto part store, I noticed the driverside headlamp had came back on. 2nd incident: 10/20/2011 as I was driving down the road, I noticed driver side headlamp flicker and go out. I figure it was a blown bulb but I turned the headlamps switch off and back on, and the driver side headlamp came back on.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Mar 022011

Outlook 6-cyl

If you drive this Saturn through a puddle after a rainstorm, the power failure light comes on, the power steering stops working and the car is very difficult to steer...this almost caused a crash in a residential street. The temp gauge also goes up higher than normal and the lights dim.

- Kitty Hawk, NC, USA

Jul 142012

Outlook 6-cyl

Sunroof leaking water into the passage compartment and down the front firewall and glove box compartment. Water entered into the cover that hides the front A/C blower motor. Motor is sitting in 1-2 inches of water. Motor starting to corrode and stopped working. Lucky there wasn't a fire. Found utube video describing how to fix this problem. Removed cover to blower and freed up blower motor corrosion. Ordered a replacement blower motor. Drilled 2 holes in this cover to allow future water collection a drainage route out of this cover. Sunroof needs recalled and blower motors need recalled as well. cost to repair this was $78 for part and about 1 hour labor.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Oct 312011

I purchased the vehicle approximately 2 years ago and I had to change the front headlight about one year later. I could not figure out how to change a simple part so I researched online and was able to successfully change the bulb. The bulb lasted a few months and then blew out again. I thought that I had a faulty $25-30 bulb so I bought another. I had to re-research how to change the bulb and this time I found out that other Saturn Outlook owners have had the same problem. I changed the bulb and it burned out after about two weeks. I could then see that the wire harness that plugs into the bulb was melted. I feel as though this is not good and has the potential to start a fire. Please do something.

- Carrollton, VA, USA

Apr 242012

Outlook 6-cyl

1) car no longer shifts out of first gear (automatic transmission). 2) car continues to run for up to 30 seconds when the key is removed. Dealer states that a water leak beginning at the sunroof leaks water onto the fuse area in the engine compartment causing failures requiring a fuse box replacement. The vehicle has had leaks leaving water on the headliner, front seats, front driver and front passenger floors in the past all repaired by the dealer under warranty. Dealer charges so far are $500 to repair the leak, $500 to replace the fusebox, and still not sure any of those repairs have resolved the two initial issues.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Apr 182012

I noticed my Outlook leaking water 3 mos. After I bought it. The airbags on passenger side stopped working. The car would not shut off in the garage. The dealer states its a leak that has allowed water to ruin the electronics all over the vehicle. This is a problem all over the internet. No one can fix it.they have 7 tech bulletins...still no fix. The dealership wants $1500 to "start" looking into the problem. Please help me! I can't drive a moldy car with intermittent airbags and possible power steering malfunction with my kids in the car! this will bankrupt me. What do I do?? no one online has found a solution...just 1000's of dollars and scary situations on the road (defrost blowers breaking, losing power steering, engine quitting, water dumping on their laps). Please make them recall this or help us fix it!

- Orting, WA, USA

Feb 072012

Outlook 6-cyl

Water was leaking through the passenger side visor clip; the headliner above the passenger seat was wet. Before the car died, the temp gauge read hot and the check engine light come on, rear hatch was not working, later to find out the rear switch shorted from water. The car was taken to a GM shop where they found a water leak that flooded the fuse box. The car was returned to us. The car was in the shop from 2/7/12 -2/23/12. When the car was returned the horn wasn't working, radio/nav screen was black, but you could hear the radio. The car was brought back on 2/29/. another leak was found. A "water master" replaced the seal and glass on the sunroof.the car was returned on 3/6/12. Then we noticed the inside lights were not working along with the radio would not turn off and the outside temp reg. @ 82 degrees when in fact is was 42 degrees out along with condensation on 4/3.GM put out bulletins making the public aware of the potential issues due to inadequate drain tubes to prevent the problems above from happening. The repairs have failed. Apparently, there is a several design flaws in these vehicles.there could be potential disastrous outcome from the persistent water leaks we are experiencing despite repairs done per service bulletins. We have researched this problem extensively and have read 100's of other Saturn owners with the same issues; even after the repairs to prevent these problems. The edmunds forum is full of complaints.these cars are not safe and I'm just grateful I wasn't"?T driving on the hwy. When my fuse box died. When will GM become accountable for these faulty poor designed drain tubes from the sunroofs? GM alerted the public, paid for the repair and the repairs failed" and we can't find anyone who has had a repair that has worked. We need an advocate and a class action. GM is very much aware of this issue. I will never feel safe or confident.

- Chehalis, WA, USA

Feb 182010

Outlook 6-cyl

We bought the car Jan 8 of 2010 and was still under full warranty- after the first month I brought into Saturn and told them of all issues. They said they got it all fixed in June of 2010 brought it in again for basically same issues and they said they fixed everything again and were also closing down that day so were hurrying me out the door. After that had same issues (especially steering wheel and engine problems, oil leaks, along with electrical problems) and we were directed to go Chevy since Saturn was gone. Expressed to them same issues with steering wheel etc. They also fixed a recall on the electrical system. And fixed power steering pump that was broke two months later had same issues with steering and engine and airbag sensor and brought it again and they also fixed another recall, in the headlamp. (we have all documents) now the whole transmission is out and oil leaks again so since it still under power train they are fixing them but GM will not approve them to fix the steering column that needs to be replace nor the airbag sensor issue. We have called them everyday and sent them over all our paperwork the last two years showing that the steering column and airbag sensor have been an issue since before our full warranty was up. I just want my car to be safe and feel like I am in a death trap and still owe a lot of money on it. It is a total lemon and I am stuck with it these issues were from the start when the car was still under full warranty.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Oct 182011

Outlook 6-cyl

The driver's side headlight will work for awhile but then it will appear to be "burnt out". the same thing has happened to the passenger side headlight several times. The lights will start working again (at least temporarily) when I switch from the "auto" light setting to "manual" and back again. I have read on several different websites that this is a common problem with the cause being the wiring harness for the lights. This appears to be a defect in the parts/materials used and should have a recall on it. I can't afford to pay what the dealership is asking to repair it, so for now I can't do any night time driving without getting a traffic citation/ticket.

- Flushing, MI, USA