NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2007 Saturn Outlook (Page 2 of 7)

2.5

2007 Saturn Outlook lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Outlook:

2007 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Oct 012012

Outlook 6-cyl

The driver's side headlight will work for awhile but then it will go out. The light will start working again (at least temporarily) I can switch from the "auto" light setting to "manual" and back again and it comes on for a moment then goes back out. I have read on several different websites that this is a common problem with the cause being the wiring harness for the lights. This appears to be a defect in the parts/materials used and should have a recall on it. I can't afford to pay what the dealership is asking to repair it, my son won't even ride with me at night B/C he's so afraid we will be stopped and get a traffic ticket. Please help!

- Covington, GA, USA

Mar 052013

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side low beam bulb was out. Bought replacement bulbs but none of them worked. Inspected harness and it appears that the connector is melted/damaged somehow.

- Holland, MI, USA

Feb 022012

Outlook

I changed out the front right headlight. After I changed it out, roughly two days later the same light was out again. I checked the light, light was fine but wire harness was not working properly. After playing with the placement of the harness, I was able to get the light to work again. But light has not stayed on longer than two days without me having to work on it in some way.

- Selma, TX, USA

Dec 222012

Outlook 6-cyl

My driver's side low beam headlight was replaced about 2 mths ago. The light went out again. I took it into a repair shop and they said the harness was melted!! I looked this up online for a recall and found nothing. However, I did find that numerous people have experienced the same thing. Any time something on a vehicle is melting... I would think this should be a huge safety issue. Considering it has happened over and over to many people, I would think that it would also be a recall. It cost me well over $100. I feel that I should be reimbursed for this. Thanks.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Oct 222012

Outlook

Started car after work, right headlight did not come on. Took it into the shop, had it replaced, $165. Two weeks later left head light went out. A week after, right headlight went out again. Took car into shop and paid double for both to be replaced. One month later left headlight went out again. Was told by mechanic that harness for headlight had melted and needs replacing as well. Have invested almost $700 in headlight repair in 12 weeks.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Oct 022012

Outlook 6-cyl

1st incident: 10/02/2011 I was merging on to the highway, when I noticed my headlights became dim. I noticed by the reflection on the car in front of me that my driver side headlamp was out so I stop to buy a set of replacement bulbs. As I got in the car to go home from the auto part store, I noticed the driverside headlamp had came back on. 2nd incident: 10/20/2011 as I was driving down the road, I noticed driver side headlamp flicker and go out. I figure it was a blown bulb but I turned the headlamps switch off and back on, and the driver side headlamp came back on.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Sep 142012

Outlook 6-cyl

Driver side headlight keeps going out..but the bulb isn't burnt out, if I pull it out and put it back in it works fine for a few days then goes out again.

- Geneva, OH, USA

Oct 312011

Outlook

I purchased the vehicle approximately 2 years ago and I had to change the front headlight about one year later. I could not figure out how to change a simple part so I researched online and was able to successfully change the bulb. The bulb lasted a few months and then blew out again. I thought that I had a faulty $25-30 bulb so I bought another. I had to re-research how to change the bulb and this time I found out that other Saturn Outlook owners have had the same problem. I changed the bulb and it burned out after about two weeks. I could then see that the wire harness that plugs into the bulb was melted. I feel as though this is not good and has the potential to start a fire. Please do something.

- Carrollton, VA, USA

Oct 312011

- Carrollton, VA, USA

Jan 122012

Outlook

I have replaced my drivers side headlamp 3 times in the last 3 months. I have read about problems with the wiring harness on these vehicles, where some have melted. Mine does not appear melted, or at least wasn't the third time I replaced it, but now this morning the headlamp burned out again. Without confidence in my headlamps, I am hesitant to drive at night.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 182011

Outlook 6-cyl

The driver's side headlight will work for awhile but then it will appear to be "burnt out". the same thing has happened to the passenger side headlight several times. The lights will start working again (at least temporarily) when I switch from the "auto" light setting to "manual" and back again. I have read on several different websites that this is a common problem with the cause being the wiring harness for the lights. This appears to be a defect in the parts/materials used and should have a recall on it. I can't afford to pay what the dealership is asking to repair it, so for now I can't do any night time driving without getting a traffic citation/ticket.

- Flushing, MI, USA

Nov 232011

Outlook

I had my car looked at by the local mechanic to find out the headlight assembly on the passenger side has went bad. My car is out of warranty so its not covered. It seems this has been a frequent problem with this car and this should be a recall.

- Clover, SC, USA

Dec 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

My passenger headlight went out and before I put a new bulb in, it came back on for a week. My headlight then went out and stayed out. When I went to change the bulb, I saw the black wire insulation on the harness was melted and also the plastic of the bulb contact was melted. I have worked with electrical wiring for 30 years and believe the wire size is too small for the current that the headlight draws.

- Northampton, PA, USA

Aug 172011

Outlook

Driver side headlight works intermittently. GM dealer instructed me that the wiring harness was broken at the plug where it plugs into the light socket. It seems that there are other owners experiencing the same problem and do not about this sight to file the complaint. I have read on other forums and know this for sure and if there is a problem then the national safety board should make a recall on the issue and have everyone's problem taking care of.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Nov 142011

Outlook

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that the daytime running lights were inoperable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where she was informed that the driver side headlight was melted. Since the headlight socket wiring harness failed, it caused the head beam light to fail and the contact was advised that the failure could result in an electrical fire. The manufacturer was contacted but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. No repairs were performed. The current and the failure mileages were 65,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Spencer Port, NY, USA

Jun 012009

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side low beam headlamp socket/wiring harness melted. Both (driver side / passenger side) low beam headlamp socket/wiring harness have melted in the past two years. Light bulb was oem bulb and was not burnt out. Nstb needs to issue recall and get GM to replace with more suitable socket/wiring harness.

- Pasco , WA, USA

Nov 062011

Outlook 6-cyl

Driverside low beam headlamp socket/wiring harness melted. This is the 2nd time this has occurred (passenger side low beam headlamp socket/wiring harness was replaced at Saturn dealership in 2009.

- Pasco, WA, USA

Nov 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side headlamp is burnt out and the housing is melted. I have read several complaints of the same problem online and feel this is a safety issue with this car. An electrical fire is a possibility!

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Oct 112011

Outlook 6-cyl

The low beam on the drivers side quite working, we replaced bulb and now neither low beam will work. We have been told it is the wiring harness.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Nov 102010

Outlook

Drivers side headlight/daytime running lamp plug wiring melted.

- Baltimore, MD, USA