NHTSA — Steering Problems

2007 Saturn Outlook (Page 1 of 3)

2007 Saturn Outlook steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Outlook:

2007 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 042016

Outlook

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering while being operated at 30 mph. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was brought to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering pump and steering gear assembly were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

May 052016

Outlook

Air bags keep warning on and force to vacate the seat on wearing seat belts wearing, dash board lose power and back after couple minutes.steering make noise on backing

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Mar 182016

Outlook

Loss of power steering while driving through dangerous terrain. Multiple times on all types of roadways. Whole package is leaking and dealer states that the power steering rack, pump and lines need replacement along with alignment, vehicle now has 83000 miles on it. Cost per the dealer is around $2800. Mostly noticed while braking and attempting to turn steering wheel. Can regain steering by releasing brake and accelerating. Speed does not matter as it happens both from stand up to 70 miles per hour. Direction does not matter as it seizes up turning both to the left and right. Not safe for travel especially with occupants.

- Germantown, WI, USA

Feb 152016

Outlook

While driving at 30 mph daah board lit up - engine power reduced - traction control go off and stabiltrak says it's off. I lost all power in car while driving including steering with kids in the car, and incoming traffic. Car would not restart immediately, it took 10 min. For it to start back up and dash lit up stating "starting disabled, service throttle". taking to service repair - saw service.bulletin for other models with same issues.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 202016

Outlook

While driving in the rain all of a sudden my power steering went out and I was forced to manhandle my vehicle off the road and into a parking lot. Within a few minutes the steering came back and I was able to continue home. Along the way this happened twice more. Now the problem lights for stabilitrak service and traction off are both on.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Jul 282015

Outlook

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Outlook. While operating the vehicle, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion was damaged due to a failed power steering pump. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 101,197.

- Walk Hill, NY, USA

May 182015

Outlook

Accelerated to get on interstate 41 to 65 mph. Heard a unusual noise. Lost all power steering (ps), had to use manual/hard to steer control. No warning light came on, no idea of what was happening. Drove car home at a reduced speed. Car maker notified me in September 2014 they had a "campaign" to replace pumps if failed before 150,000 mi. I had heard a ps whine noise and had taken the Outlook to the dealer in february2015, before the 150,000 mi and they said if it failed they would honor the campaign. They would not look at the ps fluid or listen to the noise.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Oct 312014

Outlook 6-cyl

I was driving my 2007 Saturn Outlook when the power steering went out and I went off the road hitting a culvert head on. The frontal air bags failed to deploy. The driver seat on impact broke off of the frame of the vehicle. The only thing that saved my life was my seatbelt. The vehicle was towed to a dealership and after they hooked it up to their diagnostics, they found that there was a mistake in the sensor codes. The code showed that the vehicle rolled over. The vehicle never did roll over whatsoever. Also the power steering pump was defective and later a recall came out informing owners of this. After research I found that previously there was a recall for a defective air bag module. This had been replaced. However the airbag still did not deploy during the front impact collision.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Jul 132014

Outlook

2007 Saturn Outlook. Consumer states vehicle steering wheel locked up while driving. The consumer stated as her husband steered to make a right turn, the steering wheel locked up. He applied extreme pressure to the steering wheel, and the steering wheel broke free. The consumers husband pulled over and turned off the vehicle, and checked the power steering fluid and all appeared fine. The consumer continued to drive. However, by the time they arrived home. It felt as though the vehicle didn't have any power steering and the steering pump began to growl. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was determined, the power steering rack was leaking and the pump failed due to oil loss.

- Round Mountain, NV, USA

Jul 302009

Outlook

I have owned this since new, about 2009 the steering started to squeak when you make turns. Took it in they fix it but it has returned. Something just doesn't feel right in the steering.

- Waterloo, IA, USA

Sep 012008

Outlook

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel seized and the key failed to release from the ignition. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician replaced the steering column but the failure persisted. Also, the contact stated that the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Accokeek, MD, USA

Aug 072014

Outlook 6-cyl

Just had power steering pump replaced last week and now rack and pinion is ruined. Again almost hit a car no warning and since I just had the pump replaced this was totally unexpected. How are you allowing cars that intermittently lose power steering to be on the highway. Someone will eventually be killed. The garage said he has had many of these same problems with Outlook and acadia.

- New Philadelphia, OH, USA

Jul 192014

Outlook

Driving highway when I noticed something different in my steering. It wasn't until I exited the highway and tried to turn, that is when I realized I didn't have power steering, I went over the line trying to turn the vehicle. Very dangerous. I struggled to get my car home safely.

- New Philadelphia, OH, USA

Aug 142013

Outlook

When driving through a puddle, there was a loss of power steering and brakes. I had the interior liners replaced but the problem still occurs. The electrical problems have increased dramatically since the original date of the problem and at this point, I think this vehicle is extremely dangerous to drive. The driver information center is out, there are two windows that no longer open, the stabilitrak light comes on intermittently (this is new last week), there is another warning sound coming on when I make a sharp turn but I am not sure what this is for since the driver information center is out. Once I could not get the door to shut completely and I had to start the car, lock and unlock the doors and then the door would shut. The audio/navigation screen loses power and restarts every couple days during my drive. Note: I have also had the power steering replaced in March and replaced the replacement transmission about the same time.

- Stratham, NH, USA

Sep 022013

Outlook 6-cyl

2007 Outlook has had consistent steering problems. It happens every day and it is like my power steering does not work anymore. I can not make double turns or park properly due to the steering.

- Arvada, CO, USA

May 302011

Outlook

The first incident involving steering occurred when I hit a puddle in road. I lost all power steering and also had a whining in steering column. I've had multiple incidences since and now have little to no power steering. I've taken to the dealer for multiple issues including the steering issues. They have replaced the steering column and gear as well as moved the power steering cable. This provided a temporary fix however I have little to no steering now and am out of warranty. I have taken to multiple shops and am being told it could be pump or steering column again. The fixes are between $1400-2500 and may do one to find that the issue was the other. In researching online I am surprised there has not been a recall on these vehicles as well. There are a number of other GM products being recalled for same issue but not the Outlook. This occurs at low speeds and low rpms, this makes for dangerous city driving.

- Festus, MO, USA

Nov 232012

Outlook 6-cyl

It was raining (which is very common in my state). I slowed to make a right turn. Half way through my turn, my steering failed. I could not completely turn my wheel to make a safe/legal turn. Thankfully I turned onto a 4 lane road, as I ended up in the left lane. Had it been just a 2 lane road, I would have slammed into oncoming traffic! I was not driving recklessly, I safely slowed down as I approached my turn and during my turn, which is probably what saved my family's lives as well as other drivers on the road. Had I been going faster, I probably would not have been able to avoid an accident. I contacted my dealership, and to my surprise, this is a known issue with Saturn Outlooks. What was even more mind boggling was the fact that it is not currently a safety recall. They made me feel like it was not safe for me to even drive my vehicle anymore and my only option was to pay out of pocket to "upgrade wheel well liners." I have been researching this issue online, and some people have even stated that after upgrading their liners, they still encounter the same problem. I am worried for the safety of my family. Please look into this problem. I feel that GM/Saturn need to own up to this and rectify the problem. Thank you.

- Graham, WA, USA

Sep 152010

Outlook

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The contact mentioned that when driving at low speeds she noticed a loud humming noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Mar 022011

Outlook 6-cyl

If you drive this Saturn through a puddle after a rainstorm, the power failure light comes on, the power steering stops working and the car is very difficult to steer...this almost caused a crash in a residential street. The temp gauge also goes up higher than normal and the lights dim.

- Kitty Hawk, NC, USA

Jul 182012

Outlook 6-cyl

My 18 year old daughter was returning home when she noticed the steering became very hard to use. She made it home safely. I took the car out to see what was going on and when I backed up the driveway I couldn't turn the wheel without great effort. And it got worse, it just locked up. I was advised that it needed power steering fluid or a new power steering pump. I drove it to nearest mechanic, steering locked up on turns, had to pull over several times, and turn the car off. The mechanic is within 3 miles, nearest GM dealer is 40 minutes away. He replaced pump and fluid, cleaned it as recommended. He took it for a test drive and the steering failed again, almost causing an accident. He was very upset. I am contacting GM. This problem has been documented by other 2007 Saturn Outlook owners on this site. This is a very dangerous issue and I can't believe it has not been addressed. Does someone have to die before it is? I have an unsafe and un drivable vehicle.

- West Grove, PA, USA