NHTSA — Seats Problems

4.2

2008 Saturn Outlook accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments

Nov 012011

Outlook

The passenger side seat sensor for the airbag intermittently does not recognize that a person is sitting there. In the case of an accident the airbag will not deploy. This has occurred randomly for several years. I see another complaint for this issue as well.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Jul 132011

Outlook

I purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook used at approximately 65,000 miles. The passenger air bag sensor had difficulties right off the bat. The GM service department looked at it and after glancing briefly at the computer monitor, it looked like the previous owner had many issues with the airbag sensor, too. They said it was probably something with where my son was sitting in the seat (17 year old boy). The sensor would go on and off intermittently. After some time, the air bag warning light came on. I took it to the dealership again a few months ago and they said I needed to replace the entire sensor for about $1,200. I was unable to do that (also thinking that it would fail again). So, we are driving around with what appears is no passenger side airbag. There have been various service bulletins for the airbag issue and numerous online complaints. I think that this warrants a recall.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Apr 022012

Outlook

When a passenger is seating in the front seat, the air bag light indicator will say off instead of on.

- Evarts, KY, USA

Mar 012008

Outlook

Since December 2007 when I bought a 2008 Saturn Outlook xr, I have been having problems with my rear (2nd row) folding seat. The problem persists and I have taken it to the dealership plenty of times and still not fixed. The problem with the rear folding seats are as follows: While the vehicle is in motion or stopped, the rear folding seats pops up, with or without a person sitting on the seats. Every time I take it to the dealership, they advised they were unable to repair it, because company policy states, "if it does not happen in the mechanic's presence then it can not be fixed". please understand, I have two small kids (2 1/2 year old and a 10 month old) and both of the kids ride in the back seat in their car seats. And even with the kids in their car seats and my wife sitting in between them, the seats pops up. I honestly do not know what to do anymore. I have been suggested to go to the news media and show them the danger of this malfunction and it seems that this is the last best suggestion for Saturn to consider helping me. My warranty ends in December 2010 and what will I do then? I have met others at the dealership with this problem and one of them was a Saturn mechanic (raul, who owns an Outlook) who had the same problem and he confessed to me that he fixed his by having one of his employees order the part (new 2nd row seats). I asked him why he could not do it, and his response was, "sorry, but it did not happen in the mechanic's presence." I understand that policy, but you need to understand my concerns for my family and their safety. I also understand that Saturn is out of business, but somebody needs to be held reliable for anything that happens to me or my family. I hope Saturn understands this major concern (defect) and I hope Saturn does not experience what has happened to Toyota in the past few months with their death defect on vehicles.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 262008

Outlook

Since I leased this vehicle, I have had to return it to the dealership a total of 6 times. My vehicle has been out of service for repairs for approximately 20 calendar days. The current mileage on my vehicle is 18,654. My vehicle has had problems with steering, transmission, and the electric seat, but the main reason that the vehicle was brought in for repair on each of the six visits is as follows: When raining, water appears in the following locations: (a) passenger side, 2nd column; (B) passenger side, directly below glove compartment; (C) passenger side, floor area; (D) passenger side door, floor area directly below door; (E) passenger side windshield, dropping from top of windshield area onto dashboard; (F) passenger side seatbelt -- completely soaking wet; (G) passenger side airbag plug, water dripping out from edges; (H) driver side seatbelt; (I) driver side window. Please note that this does not happen each and every time it rains; it happens every 2 to 4 times it rains. The last time it was brought in to Saturn, smoke was pouring out from below the glove compartment and there was a very bad "electrical" type of smell. The headliner has been removed a couple of times; they have verified that there is dampness and a water leak above the headliner, but they cannot replicate or determine the source of the leaking. The dealership has informed that at this point they can do nothing further to determine the source of the leak. They state that an engineer from Saturn must look at the vehicle to attempt to determine the problem. I have written to Saturn and they are sending someone out to look at it next week. If it cannot be repaired, I am instituting lemon law proceedings. The car reeks of mildew.

- Wayne, NJ, USA