2008 Saturn Outlook drivetrain NHTSA complaints: Power Train

NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2008 Saturn Outlook (Page 5 of 6)

2.0

2008 Saturn Outlook drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Sep 012012

Outlook 6-cyl

I have had my the children in the car when the service stabilitrac warning came on causing jerking in heavy city traffic and wouldn't allow me to go. Had it towed and the mechanic said the entire timing component was bad, this was a Chevy dealership. Next I was traveling on a freeway with my children approaching an officer at the scene of a wreck my car revved very high and wouldn't shift anymore....not only with an officer at a accident but also reduced to one lane traffic due to construction. When this happened it nearly caused a collision. I had to attempt to coast to the side of the road. Mechanic said transmission needed to be rebuilt. I have spoke to Saturn and informed then of all my issues...evenafter transmission repairs my car continues to jerk and stall in traffic to the point I was almost T boned by a semi!! I have had my fill of my children at risk from a poorly built car! my passenger airbag won't even kick on and is having problems. All my problems started at 50,000 miles!! my sun roof was leading and I had water gushing down my pillars had to pay for that to be serviced as well!

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 152013

Outlook 6-cyl

Delayed shifting when pressing down accelerator to increase speed to change lanes while on freeway. Took car in for service and was told transmission wave plate was inoperative.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Jan 132013

Outlook 6-cyl

This complaint is in regards to tsb 09-07-30-012B for a 2008 Saturn Outlook. This issue with the clutch wave plate caused my entire automatic transmission to fail as well as major damage to transfer case that could not be repaired. The endstate was a complete replacement of the automatic transmission as well as the transfer case with a cost of over $6K. The mileage on this vehicle was 74,563 and all required maintenance conducted in a timely manner. The transmission failed while on the freeway traveling at 65mph almost causing an major accident because of the power train failure.

- Lacey, WA, USA

Nov 042012

Outlook 6-cyl

I had transmission problems on my 2008 Saturn Outlook. While driving the car one morning it just stopped accelerating and then locked up and wouldn't move.

- Brighton, IL, USA

Jan 252013

Outlook 6-cyl

Regarding our 2008 Outlook that we purchased in August'12 - the vehicle has 47K on it & had 39K when we purchased it from our bank (a repo'd car). On 1/25/13 the transmission gave out literally in my driveway. Five minutes prior to that, I would have been on a major highway with school aged kids on board - I shutter to think of the possibilities. No warnings prior to this ever. (1/28/13) I contacted GMC directly, received a claim number from them, followed that up with a phone call to a towing company & then the GMC dealership to let them know that the vehicle was on it's way. Received a call from the dealership - diagnosis news - we needed a new transmission (we weren't surprised). The estimate wasn't fully completed yet (never a good sign) & they would call later with the cost. I missed that later in the evening - I'd had enough & talking about this issue was making me madder by the minute. How can you claim to do such 'rigorous testing' on your vehicles & then have transmission failure happen in a matter of minutes without any warning whatsoever!! (1/29/13) I was informed of the cost (I nearly hit the floor) but wait - they were offering a 10% discount & I could get a $200 visa rebate from GM - like I'd won a prize or something. Is this supposed to make it better"! how about standing behind your product"! it would seem to me that GM has a problem with their transmissions just based on the many posts on edmunds & online - perhaps a recall is in order. I was the one who pursued my Ford husband with "let's give a GMC car a try, it's american made too. So much for that - shame on me. This is so wrong to have to replace this transmission at this point & having to pay for it pay for it entirely only adds insult to injury! shame on me - no - shame on you GMC!!

- Parker, CO, USA

Jan 102013

Outlook 6-cyl

The vehicle starting jerking and lunging at low speeds. Vehicle's engine started revving in between shifting gears and would then jerk into gear. At times vehicle transmission would not engage in reverse. The dealership had to replace third, fifth and reverse gears.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Jan 012013

Outlook

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact was driving approximately 20 mph when the vehicle began to jerk abnormally. In addition, the engine rpms increased however, the vehicle would not accelerate and began to roll backward. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing and was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- New Albany, IN, USA

Dec 072012

Outlook 6-cyl

My wife and I own a 2008 Saturn Outlook xr with just a hair under 80K miles on it and within the last week or so we have started having some weird transmission issues related to shifting between gears. From 1st to 2nd gear the transmission seems to "slip? momentarily causing the engine to rev mid shift. It also seems to ?clunk" very hard between 5th and 6th (overdrive). Occasionally, between other gears it seems to shift roughly, too. I have double checked the transmission fluid levels which are within tolerances, but seem to smell hot to me. One other thing I have noticed, is that when braking or putting the car in park, the transmission doesn't seem to fully disengage properly as noticed by the engine seemingly "lurching". we are the second owners of this vehicle having only had it roughly two years. We have already had to replace the water pump under warranty, and have had it repaired under recall for various issues at least twice.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Nov 082012

Outlook 6-cyl

The vehicle was in an accident before, but only body damage, I bought it at 33254 miles, it is driving fine, but having hesitation issues, looks like the transmission is having a problem, I have read others with the same problem. Apparently this is a huge issue with many Saturn 2008 owners this car has a salvage title but only because of the body damage accident, not engine, all otherwise is running perfectly fine.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Dec 082012

Outlook

Transmission slipped very badly switching from second to third gear. Thankfully was in a populated area close to home and was able to limp into a parking lot. Once put in park, would no longer shift out of park and had to be flat towed to a garage.

- Blythe, CA, USA

Apr 102012

Outlook 6-cyl

My transmission on my 2008 Saturn Outlook went out and was replaced (with a brand new transmission) under warranty in April 2012. It is going out again and the warranty is expired, November 2012. When I bought the truck, the dealer was trying to push an extended warranty on me, stressing over and over that it covered the transmission, so obviously he knew my truck would have future transmission problems. My truck still had a warranty, and with my truck being only 2 years old, I opted not to buy it, trusting that Saturn was a reputable dealer. Big mistake trusting Saturn.

- Keshena, WI, USA

Nov 052012

Outlook 6-cyl

Transmission started shifting hard but was not doing it all the time, I took a friend home backed out of his driveway and the vehicle started bucking and jumping and not shifting when I got about a block down the road the check engine light come on and it would not shift out of 1st gear, I took it to a parts store and had the scanner put on it and it come up with the code PO796 which is the 3-5 pressure plate, this SUV has never pulled or towed anything so there should be no reason why it went out. My previous SUV was a Saturn Outlook 2007 and the 3-5 wave plate went out of it, it is pretty clear that there is a defect from the factory on these plates and they are unsafe this repair has cost me $3400 and I just bought the SUV in July, this is something that needs to be looked into and investigated because it is pretty clear that the plates are defective and GM needs to stand behind these with a recall.

- Jacksonville, IL, USA

Nov 252012

Outlook

While driving, suddenly the Saturn Outlook xr 2008 wouldn't go above 30 miles per hour. When it was switched from the automatic transmission to manual transmission, it would not change above gear #3. in addition, when trying to park, it was found that reverse gear wouldn't work.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

Aug 172011

Outlook 6-cyl

8/17/2011 - J0511 head, cylinder left bank replaced as there was excessive play in camshafts R & R motor assy replace bank 2 cylinder head and new timing chain re-installed. 01/11/2012 - 3-5 reverse clutch plate replaced transmission slipping into 3rd gear, transmission rebuilt. 02/20/2012 leak was found in front transmission connector area, seal was replaced & rechecked. On 12/01/2012 truck going back into shop for transmission leak again and clunking noise. GM needs to resolve this problem with the transmission, they need to stand behind their product and go ahead and resolve this issue immediately.

- Willingboro, NJ, USA

Oct 092012

Outlook 6-cyl

On September 05, 2012 while driving on the highway with my families in the vehicle. I was driving at 55 mph. The vehicle suddenly started to accelerate and the RPM rise up very high and very quickly. I try to step on the brake but it did not slow the vehicle down. I had to step on the brake a couple of time but did not slow the vehicle down. It speed off for approximately a quarter miles before it slow down and the RPM came down. I was terrified of how the vehicle suddenly accelerates out of control. After the sudden acceleration the traction control light and the service stabilitrak warning light came on. There is also a humming noise coming out of the engine or the transmission. The traction control / services stabilitrak warning light went off after turning the engine off. This happen three time to me with the same vehicle. I wrote to GM and GM refused to do anything to help me or look into the these issue. I hope that with my complaint and all of the other complaints from all of the other GM vehicle owners, something could be done about these issue. I told GM that this is a serious safety issue that I am having with my 2008 Saturn Outlook xr AWD and GM told me to go screw myself. That is soo sad, considering this is the holiday and me and my families have no transportation to go anywhere.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Nov 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

The vehicle's transmission failed as I attempted to accelerate. I coasted to a stop at a red light. The vehicle was then pushed, through a busy intersection, to a gas station. It was later towed to a dealer for repairs.

- Whitinsville, MA, USA

Nov 082008

Outlook 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving at any speed the vehicle would lose power and downshift with an abnormal increase in rpms. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The dealer updated the transmission module but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to lose power with a significant loss of fuel mileage. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000 and the failure mileage was 50,000...updated 07/12/12 the consumer stated the sensor camshaft, cylinder head, battery, windshield wiper motor, air bag wiring harness, power steering rack and gear, front pads and rotors, gaskets for intake manifold, gasket for rear valve cover, right front strut, both strut mounts, engine mounts, left front stabilizer link, headlight harness, timing belt cover seal, exhaust stud, power steering pump, hose and clamp, all had to be replaced. Updated 10/02/12

- Danbury , CT, USA

Mar 242010

Outlook

Vehicle has had 3 major transmission warranty repairs done tone NHTSA # 10030729, two engine warranty repairs (water pump, engine seals) and one electrical recalls NHTSA # 08V44100 wire harness which is a fire hazard and one windshield wiper/washer linkage 08V410000 which could result in a vehicle crash

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 012008

Outlook 6-cyl

Specifically, the performance of the transmission my Saturn 2008 Outlook has never been satisfactory. Altogether it's incredibly sluggish, giving a jerky, pulling feel and takes 45-60 seconds to speed the car up past 50 mph. There have been times when I came dangerously close to being hit by oncoming traffic. Additionally, the stabilitrak light warning comes on when it shouldn't. this light is generally followed by a warning the traction control is off when it isn't. I have complained to 2 of GM's dealers (Saturn and Chevrolet) for the last 3 years about the transmission. They have all told me that there nothing wrong with the transmission--until things got bad enough that the transmission stopped working altogether, and I was stuck on the side of the road. Raleigh's downtown GM dealer finally had no other choice than to take the transmission apart and discovered the root of the problem. So they thought. Ever since I picked up the car from this repair, I have been experiencing the same problems. I took it back to the GM dealership. Again, they purported they could not "simulate" the problem; therefore, in their mind, there was no problem. I'm reminded at this point that this is the same thing GM's dealers had said before the transmission finally gave way. Through the internet, I understand that there are many others who report problems with GM's transmission on the Outlook. Like my counterparts, I would appreciate a resolution that includes GM's owning up to this problem and resolving to fix it once and for all.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Dec 012009

Outlook 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that the engine stalled when the accelerator was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 4,500 and the current mileage was 41,000. Updated 11/07/11 updated 06/13/2012

- Philadelphia, PA, USA