NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2008 Saturn Outlook (Page 4 of 7)

2008 Saturn Outlook electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Dec 102010

Outlook 6-cyl

My 2008 Saturn Outlook lost both headlights in December 2010 within a couple of days of each other. The dealer informed us the bulbs had burned out and when they burned out they burned/corroded the wiring harnesses connected to them, necessitating a $200 repair. Less than a year later, in November 2011, the right headlight went out again. When we took it to the dealer on November 4, 2011, they informed us the bulb had burned out and the harness had burned out again, and said the repair would be more than $200. We have seen this problem documented by many Saturn owners on Saturn fan sites, and also read to contact NHTSA to notify you of this common and potentially dangerous safety problem with the Saturn Outlook so that you could consider ordering GM to recall these vehicles. I hope you will order a recall and order GM to solve an unnecessary design problem that is a nuisance at best and could potentially lead to a fire or lost visibility that could result in accidents at worst. Thank you for your consideration.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 022011

Outlook 6-cyl

Complete loss of low beam headlights under similar or identical circumstances as other voqs and various websites forums. Inspection revealed melted wiring harness connectors inside the headlamp assembly at the low beam headlamp bulb. Vehicle date of manufacture 10-2007. No known body work. Passenger low beam headlight connector is not melted as bad as the driver side low beam headlight connector. Appears to be coming predominantly from the black wire going into the connector. All insulation is melted away. Connector melted and brittle that it fell apart removing the bulb. Bulb part # appears to be H11, 12V 55W U 64211 L+dot. Osram. Germany E1 25S. W0 Q3. Driver head light assembly casting date September 2007. Part number 25876413, which appears to have been superseded. Appears manufactured under automotive lighting with number LH hal 6143101907C2824. The inside connector area of the bulb itself also appears melted. The bulb is available for inspection. The headlamp assembly is still in use on the vehicle after receiving a pigtail splice repair and new bulb. The passenger side headlamp is now working and has received no repairs. Updated IVOQ 11/29/11

- Fuquay Varina , NC, USA

Oct 272011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side headlamp wiring harness found melted during hid lamp replacement. This is a fire hazard. It appears the melted wire was due to a design\manufacturing defect in that the wiring going to the hid headlamp needs to be made from a larger gauge. Also, there is not enough slack in the bulb assembly to easily replace the bulb.

- Jackson, LA, USA

Oct 262011

Outlook 6-cyl

The headlights went out while I was driving home in the early evening, reducing my visability and the ability for others to see my vehicle. Fortunately, it wasn't night yet and I was still able to navigate home, however had it been just an hour later it would have been completely dark and siginificantly more unsafe for this incident to have occurred. The wiring harness is a known defect by GM and steps should be taken to remedy it. This can create unsafe road conditions for Saturn Outlook drivers.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jul 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

Head lamp wiring harness was melted due to poor wiring and thin wires.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Oct 082011

Outlook 6-cyl

Upon inspection, I noticed that the passenger front head lamp was inoperative. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, and a technician concluded that wiring harness had melted and caused the bulb to fail. He then added that the other head lamp would soon fail. The vehicle was repaired at an expense of$ $360. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Ramsey, NJ, USA

Aug 262011

Outlook 6-cyl

On 8/26/2011, I replaced my drivers side headlight bulb and noticed a burnt wire smell but did not notice anything visually, approximately one month later I noticed that my light was out again the next day I bought a new bulb. I started the process of changing out the bulb but noticed it was back on so I stopped. A few days later the bulb was out again so I changed the bulb and noticed that the burnt smell was very bad and the plug on the wire harness and the wire insulation had melted. I have read many complaints for this issue at www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php"T=165895&goto=nextoldest, www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php"topic=818.80 and others. Please look into this issue before someone is injured.

- Macon, GA, USA

Sep 102011

Outlook 6-cyl

Driver side headlight went out, bought a new bulb and went to change it and realized the wiring harness is melted. Called the "authorized" Saturn dealer and was told this was fairly common (what!!!!) and that it would cost approx. $700 to repair. After some on-line research, found alot of people out there with the same problem. Factory warranty that would cover this ran out 4 months prior to this and do not have that kind of money to spend on a simple headlight. This should be a safety issue due to the fire hazard of melting wires and people driving with only 1 or no headlights. Who knows how long I have till the passenger side does the same thing.

- Roy, UT, USA

Aug 222011

Outlook 6-cyl

My Saturn Outlook only has 44,000 miles on it and the passenger side headlight went out. Got a replacement bulb from dealership - changed it - and the light was out after a week and a half. Went back to dealership to buy another bulb and when switching it out - noticed that the wiring harness was melted. Looked online only to find that this is a common problem with this vehicle and it should be recalled - as the danger of a fire is a high risk and having working headlights is the law.

- Elkton, SD, USA

Mar 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

In March, 2011, my cars left headlight burned out. When I changed the light, I discovered that the wiring harness had melted. I replaced the harness with a GM part bought at a dealership. Last week, the right headlight burned out. Again, when I changed the light, I discovered that the wiring harness also had melted. The wires seem small to me, and are smaller than the wires on the replacement harness.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Aug 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

Right headlight low beam connection has melted. Was able to remove bulb, but badly burnt, can not replace lamp.

- Oliveburg, PA, USA

Aug 292011

Outlook 6-cyl

Right headlight would work sometimes and others not. Took into the dealership to have repaired and warranty does not cover. Dealership tried to charge me 300 just to replace the harness. Needless to say my car is parked for now and hubby will be replacing his self. Harness cost $25.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 032011

Outlook

Low beam headlamp connector melted

- Russellville, KY, USA

May 122011

Outlook 6-cyl

Been having intermittent problems with the drivers side low beam not working, have been on a few occasions to make it work cycling light switch and now that does not help either. Was researching ways to attempt to repair and my sister inlaw also has a Saturn Outlook and was telling me hers ended up being the harness, and after seeing all the threads about this happening to alot of other Saturn I think I will be taking my wife's car to a local dealership to be look at for safety reasons.

- Ladson, SC, USA

Jun 122011

Outlook

Low beam driver's side headlamp on Saturn Outlook. Bulb appeared to fail but on further inspection of the wiring harness it was melted at the connector. This happened in Jan/Feb of 2011 and now (Jul) the passenger side is out. Replaced the light bulb initially on both only to have it continuously go out. Inspecting wiring harness on the passenger side later today. This clearly appears to be a fire hazard.

- Litchfield, NH, USA

Jun 292011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlights go out due to a faulty wire harness. Has happened many times and I fix it just to have them go out again. This is a clear safety issue and many people have had the same problem. Time to step up and fix this obvious safety problem.

- Fresno, CA, USA

May 202011

Outlook 6-cyl

The wire harness for the low beam headlights has melted. It is a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The wires and the plug appear to be insufficient for the amount of electricity flowing through them.

- Chandler, AR, USA

Jun 172011

Outlook 6-cyl

On my 2008 Saturn Outlook the passenger side headlight went out then after being replaced went out again about a month later come to find out the wiring burned out and had to be replaced. A few months later I was driving and pulled over for the driver side headlight being out. I had the light replaced only for it to go out a few months later and also at this time told the wiring melted and I had to get the whole thing replaced. This is a safety issue I drive with kids in my car and if this ever happened to both lights at night I don't want to think of what could have happened.

- West Greenwich, RI, USA

Jun 022011

Outlook 6-cyl

I purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook in February of 2011. My passenger headlamp (low beam) electrical harness connector to the bulb melted and caused a sparks to come out to the headlamp protector..also damaging it..

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jun 182011

Outlook 6-cyl

Driving South on interstate 77 in Ohio the low beam headlights went out. Luckily it was in an area that had some lighting that gave me time to react due to there being heavy traffic behind me that may have not been able to stop causing a fairly large accident. Having to drive home with my high beams on the remaining 60 miles to home and then inspecting the bulbs when I arrived home, I noticed that the harnesses were melted near the connectors. I inspected the bulbs and they are the original equipment bulbs and not high wattage replacements that may have caused a deviation from what the harnesses were intended for.

- Saint Clairsville, OH, USA