NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2008 Saturn Outlook (Page 6 of 7)

2008 Saturn Outlook electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Nov 282010

Outlook

The passenger headlamp stopped working. We found out that this is because the wire and socket melted and burned. I'm relieved that it has not caused a major vehicle fire. 40,000 miles.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Nov 122010

Outlook 6-cyl

My passenger headlight turned off around 11/12/10, the bulb was replaced. Two weeks later the same headlight turned off again. I took it back to the Chevrolet dealer and they want me to pay $285 to fix the problem. I don't think that its right to make us pay for something that is completely faulty. This is really serious and can cause and accident.

- Burke, VA, USA

Nov 162010

Outlook

Drivers side light bulb burned out. After investigation, the wire bundle to the light overheated/burnt and melted, resulting in the halogen bulb failure. Unbelievable amount of online complaints involving the same issue, which repeats itself, even after the dealer replaces the wiring harness. The wiring harness is plastic, under-engineered and repeatedly fails. This item needs to be recalled and repaced with a metal wiring harness. Reference Saturn' S tsb #09-08-42-004. This is a known problem and a serious safety issue.

- Sylvania , OH, USA

Oct 142010

Outlook

2008 Saturn Outlook xe. Harness to both headlights (low beam) has melted which now I have no headlights.

- Spruce Grove Ab, 00, USA

Nov 152010

Outlook

Driver's side wiring harness melted on headlight, Saturn Outlook 2008.

- Temep, AZ, USA

Oct 012010

Outlook

My husband and I will be taking our 2008 Saturn Outlook in for the 5th time, yes I said 5th time, to get the headlight fixed. The drivers side has had a bulb replaced as well as the wiring harness replaced...same with the passenger side. It only has 40,000 miles on it and we have owned it less than a year. We are lucky that our dealership is taking pity on us, and fixing it for free because our warranty just expired. Please recall this. This is a dangerous defect that needs to be fixed!

- Wichita, KS, USA

Oct 122010

Outlook

The headlight harness attachment to the light bulb has burned on both sides of my vehicle. This caused the light to go out and melt the insulation near the coupling.

- Smithville, MO, USA

Oct 222010

Outlook 6-cyl

One evening while driving my children home from an event, we smelled a toxic burning type smell. When we arrived home, I saw that the front headlamp was out (a bit surprising for a 2 year old vehicle). The dealer discovered that the wiring harness connector was burned. A bit frightening and not tro mention costly. Although the car was 2 years old, it has just above 36,000 miles and thus out of warranty. My fault for not getting to the dealer immediately when the mileage would have been just below the 36,000 mile mark.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Nov 032010

Outlook

My passenger headlight turned off at about 30,000 miles, the bulb was replaced. Two weeks later the same headlight turned off again. I took it back to the dealer when they told me it was under warranty and would replace the faulty wire harness. Now my car is at about 57,000 miles, no warranty and my driver side headlight keeps turning off. I called the Chevrolet dealer and they want me to pay $100 just to look at it and then pay for whatever needs to be done to fix the problem. I don't think that its right to make us pay for something that is completely faulty. This is really serious and can cause and accident.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Outlook

1. passenger side low beam went out. 2. replaced it thinking the bulb was dead. 3. 2 days later, the new bulb was out. 4. went digging back under the wheel well and through some funky arm bending and twisting of the neck I could see that one of the female lugs on the connector was burnt. 5. used electrical tape to temp fix the light. It went out 1 day later and not even driving the vehicle for that 2 day period. 6. went in and started an internet search and discovered I am not the only one with this major GM problem. I have already got a warning for the police to fix the headlight out. I shouldn't have to worry when it will go out again and hopefully not get a ticket or even worse. A crash.

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Oct 142010

Outlook 6-cyl

2008 Saturn Outlook driver side low beam headlight went dark due to exposed wires in the wire harness near the bulb socket.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Outlook

The wiring harness on the passengers side low beam has melted twice. It was last replaced two weeks ago, and has since gone out again, I suspect that it has melted again but will not know for sure until I take the car back to the shop. Why are these harness melting and why hasn't GM made a recommendation to fix this problem.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Sep 152010

Outlook

2008 Outlook had a burned out low beam on the driver side at 31,750 miles. Dealer confirmed that the wiring harness was melted causing the failure and need replacing. GM needs to recall both wiring harnesses as I am sure the next one will go and it will be past the warranty. This is clearly a safety defect having a lights wiring harness melt. Apparently, this is a common problem with '08 Outlooks. Please issue a recall!

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Outlook

Driver side low beam headlight is not working even after light bulb was changed. Taken in to dealer and told that the left front wiring harness is melted.

- Pittsboro, IN, USA

Jul 182010

Outlook

1A. the headlights on our 2008 Saturn Outlook started malfunctioning when on auto in July 2010. 1B. our transmission doesn't properly engage, either. 2A. our headlights went completely out on the left side, even when on manual, last Friday evening. They had been working earlier in manual, so we were unaware until pulled over by an mp and cited. We were unable to drive our Outlook at night. Saturn finally agreed to fix the wiring harness on Wednesday, but they will not fix the new bulb that shorted out due to the wiring problem. It caused us to not be able to safely or legally drive at night. 2B. the transmission often does not engage, especially when we are stopped and then try to cross traffic to turn left. This has caused several near misses and one minor accident for us. It usually occurs when we are stopped and needing to speed up to merge or cross traffic. 3A. currently, Saturn is replacing the wiring harness but not the light burned out because of the wiring problem, stating this is a maintenance issue. They are also addressing leaks in the water and fuel pumps. 3B. unless the transmission problem is fixed by the leaks repair, they have not done anything to correct the transmission problem.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 042010

Outlook

My 2008 Saturn Outlook has had problems with the headlights. I had two headlights malfunction at the same time. I went to replace the bulbs and one of lights started to work without replacement. The second bulb had a burn mark and the connector on the wiring harness was melted. I plugged the bulb back it and it work, though a bit dimmer. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've had problems with the headlights. I had thought they replaced the wiring harness before under warranty. I'm assuming they will be doing the same since the bulbs still work and the connector is melted on the one harness.

- Voorhees, NJ, USA

Sep 012010

Outlook

The right front headlight went out, replaced the bulb and realized the connector was melted. Two weeks later the left front bulb went out, brought it to the dealership and the connecter was melted. So both sides had electrical melting. Cost to repair is $352.

- Andover, MA, USA

Aug 252010

Outlook

I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook and the right low beam went out and I found that the connector had melted. The very next day in the evening the left low beam went out and I was without low beam lights. I had both wiring harnesses replaced at a cost of almost $400 on 8/27/10 I hope this fixes my problem. Major safety issue in my opinion. I had to drive with high beams and that was not good for other drivers and they were angry with me. Needs recall.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jun 072010

Outlook

2008 Saturn Outlook headlight wiring harness failure. At 35,000 miles the driver side headlight wiring harness has melted from overheating with the oem stock bulb attached. Upon inspection the wire and housing are deformed and failing. I replaced the bulb to rule out the possibility of a simple bulb burn out. Now the entire wiring harness assembly will have to be replaced just as the bumper to bumper warranty is set to expire. Also a quick search on google for GM Saturn headlight harness points to several complaints of the exact issue. So this is not an isolated case, just cheap wiring.

- Valencia, CA, USA

Jul 122010

Outlook

I have a 2008 Saturn and the low bean harness on the passenger side was melted and the light bulb shorted out. The GM dealer, gerry lane, was aware of this problem due to a service bulletin and said it is normally a $300-$400 job, but they will replace it as a good gesture for a charge of $50. The service bulletin is "tsb #09-08-42-004 "low beam headlamp replacement/diagnosis (inspect fuse, bulb, harness, replace harness and fill connector cavity for low beam bulb connector with nyogel grease) - (May 29, 2009). Document id: 2284787. Applies to models 2007-2009 Saturn Outlook. This should be a recall and could be dangerous by creating a fire next to the engine compartment. Customers should not have to pay for this, especially since they know this is a frequently occurring safety condition.

- Zachary, LA, USA