2008 Saturn Outlook electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jun 202016

Driving late one night when my low beam lights stopped working, I was left with my high beam lights and my fog lights only. Ended up getting pulled over by a police officer on my way home, who advised that it is a common problem with the wiring in similar vehicles.after writing me a warning, I went home with little light for driving. Woke up this morning, attempted to check fuses and bulbs, no issues noted. Can smell a burnt wire smell near headlight. Did my research and apparently is is a very common problem indeed. Please recall headlight wiring harnesses.

- Glenpool, OK, USA

May 112016

When it rains, the headliner gets soaked. The water runs down arm going down in the front that connects the roof and dashboard and floods the driver side dead pedal and floor board. Water also leaks from rear sunroof glass and drips from the rear dome light and leaks to the 3rd row seats/rear compartment.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Apr 062016

Sporadically, water leaks from the ceiling air vents/rear view camera/ A-braces/ airbag covers and basically any other place water can come out of. I have had it to the GMC dealer 2X to look for the issue but they cannot replicate. In viewing information online (specifically it appears that this has been a well known problem since the auto was manufactured - I am just lucky that mine has been sporadic. It has not effected components of the vehicle yet, but if it keeps happening I have little doubt that there will be issues - parts corroding, electrical issues, etc. As mentioned earlier, it baffles me that there are 18 pages of identical complaints, yet the manufacturer has never been made to do anything about it - an idiot can tell that there has to be some manufacturer defect to have that # of occurences. I really don't expect anything to come of my issue, but wanted to document what has happened in case there are more serious issues later such as an accident caused by equipment failure due to water damage - it is only a matter of time before this defect causes serious harm to someone.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Mar 272016

After a heavy storm rainwater leaked into the cabin of my parked and unoccupied vehicle through the factory installed sunroof, which was fully closed. The water also leaked into the cabin behind the glove box, under the dash, and through the headliner. This resulted in rainwater getting into the fuse box causing electrical corrosion and the rear wiper to malfunction. Besides the potential safety issue, an electrical malfunction while driving or fire, there is also a health issue of mold in the headliner and under the carpeting. As a result of the water getting inside the car the headliner is now permanently water stained and the carpeting was soaked. The dealership "blew out" the drain tubes but could not guarantee this would fix the problem. I was further advised of a GMC customer satisfaction recall on this car (08207A) which expired on 09/30/09 and that this repair was never done on my vehicle, based on a check of the VIN. I contacted Saturn directly on 04/04/16 who refused to pay for this customer satisfaction recall since it expired 7 years ago. I've gotten more water inside my car since my trip to the dealership and was advised that the approximate cost to extend the drain tubes, as recommended on the customer satisfaction recall, would be at least $500. This price does not include replacing the headliner, the carpeting, possible mold removal, or repairing/replacing the fuse box. My main concerns are for the safety and well being of my small children while riding in this car.

- New Berlin, WI, USA

Mar 062016

While driving in the rain, water comes in from the sunroof running thru the airbags and has shorted my speakers and played havoc with my electrical system in general. The radio/car wouldn't turn off which drained the battery (which I've replace three times in a three year span) after the key was removed. I've had the drainage tube replaced several times but it still happens. My driver's side carpet stays wet and now it has a mildew smell and I've had to replace the floor mats twice. 3/6/16 was the latest occurrence.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 192015

My 2008 Saturn Outlook recently started leaking water. I first noticed that my front passenger floorboard was wet, in December 2015. After noticing this I started having issues with the rear windshield wiper continually going, I could not turn it off. I then started having trouble with the radio staying on when I exited the vehicle. Within a couple of days my car battery died and I figured this is why I was having those issues. I replaced the battery with a brand new one. On Jan 19, 2016 I got into my car on an extremely rainy day and noticed a huge puddle of water on the front passenger floorboard. I looked all around the car and could not find any leaks, nothing from windshield, sunroof or damaged weather stripping. I took out the mats and the car dried out. On Jan 31, 2016 there was another extremely wet and rainy day and once again water was pooled up in front passenger floorboard. As I drover car away water started pouring into the vehicle from all openings, ie seatbelt harness, windshield, from below dash, vents, everywhere. All of the passengers in car were getting wet. Once home I parked the car in the garage and I took out floor mats and opened up windows for car to dry out. After a couple of days the rear windshield wiper started going off repeatedly on it's own, like before. I could not turn it off, once again. Then the radio continued to stay on once the car was turned off, key removed and driver door opened. I last drove the car on wed night 2/3 and parked in the garage overnight. When I went to get in car the next morning it was completely dead. No power at all, brand new battery. Then the key got stuck in the ignition and car was stuck in garage. I had to have tow company come and tow car off to dealership. I filed complaint with GM. I see this has been a problem for others as well.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Jan 312016

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. While driving in the rain, the vehicle collected water within the wedging of the sun roof and headliner and began leaking from any opening within the vehicle (doors, vents, etc). When the vehicle was parked and/ or stopped, the vehicle began to accumulate water on the floor of the vehicle. The contact stated that the ignition key was stuck in the ignition switch and caused the vehicle to stall. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 165,000.

- Disalia, CA, USA

Dec 312015

Water leaking from blocked drains in sunroof, now have to replace fuse box module. When it rains water comes from airbag on both farms by windshield, water collects at base of dash board on both driver & passenger sides. When pulling out key from ignition, key wouldn't release. Battery dead every morning due to car "thinking" it was on all night. Dashboard light issues & warnings for airbags & stabiltrack system. Replaced battery before finally having issues diagnosed correctly as an electrical issue. Looks like I'm by far not the first to report this "known" issue.

- Mentor On The Lake, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Low beam headlights continue to go out after replacing with new ones. Has happened parked once but usually occures accelerating after being stopped or after driving distances more than 30 miles. This started back in early 2014 and has continually gotten more and more frequent. Other various electrical problems keep occuring such as lights dimming while driving (interior dash) and climate control setting changing to what I can presume are default settings (74 deg for both driver and passenger side turning on)

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Dec 182015

The sunroof leaks when it is closed, and this is causing water to come in to the roof of the vehicle. Water is coming in from the front air bags, the windshield, under the dash, out of the garage door opener, the visor, and the back seat belts. I now have to replace the body control module which is related to the water damaging the unit. I am fearful the with the water getting in by the airbags that if I get into an accident they will malfunction. I have also been receiving messages about servicing the stabilitrac, but when I have had it looked at the mechanic can't find anything wrong, so this could also be related to the body control module.

- Albert Lea, MN, USA

Dec 142015

When it rains my 2008 Saturn Outlook will continue to run even after the key is removed from the ignition. My battery drains down for no reason and my radio will not turn off when the driver door is open. I have recently started smelling an extremely fowl smell that comes and goes. The speakers in my car work when they want to. I believe there is a short in my car that is causing these problems.

- Florence, MS, USA

Oct 302015

Car parked in owner's driveway. All windows and sunroof closed. After a heavy overnight rainstorm, owner drove car down driveway and heard a rush of water toward front of car. Owner saw water dripping from under glove box compartment, and substantial water on passenger side floor mat. Owner able to drive to work and parked in work parking ramp. After work, owner attempted to start car to go home, experienced no crank/ no start. Lights did come on but key then stuck in ignition. Car battery eventually died due to inability to turn off lights. Company called to jump start car, company attached jumper cables and lights came on, voltage good, car still no crank no start. Car was towed to dealership. Dealership diagnosis water leaked from the sunroof into the front of car and into the fuse box, requiring a new fuse box, all new terminals and new wiring. Cost for repair estimate $800-$1000. Calls to cm/Saturn offered no assistance with vehicle repair or cost assistance at all. This incident is exactly the same as a known technical service bulletin by GM #08-08-57-003F floor wet under carpet/engine continues to run with key off/possible no crank/no start/communication loss/various electrical concerns (seal seam).

- Stoddard, WI, USA

Aug 302015

As a result of inclement weather, water has been able to access the interior of the vehicle which resulted in malfunctioning of electrical components of the overhead accessories. Sunroof has been stuck into open position and was not able to retract the sunroof back into the closed position.

- Lyman, SC, USA

Dec 012014

The sun roof leaks and a large amount of water had collected inside the battery terminal which is located under and behind the front passenger's seat. Since then, water continues to leak in from the sun roof "tubes" which have been cleaned out several time. I have had water that puddles under the carpeting in the front and rear seat and has effected the electrical. There are numerous instances posted and youtube videos of folks who have also dealt with this issue. It's a shame that it has not been addressed. GM has no resolution and the dealership charges $50 to "blow out the lines" I.e. using an air hose to blow air through the tubes. It's obvious the sun roof is not properly sealed and the tubes (drains as they are referred to by the dealership) are not full proof. The water also leaks from the side airbag curtains and the sun roof control panel

- Greenville, RI, USA

Jun 182015

Ac blower stopped working do to water coming in from sunroof. Contacted Saturn they told me since it is out of warranty they cannot do anything. Even if it is a manufacturer defect. Wow unbelievable. Poor customer service. Dealer wants $75 do diagnose the problem then $700 to fix the water leak and $500 for blower motor. They can keep the car for those prices. This is unacceptable someone needs to regulate these dealers and car companies better. No Saturn or GM for my family

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Jun 092015

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact also stated that the key was unable to be removed from the ignition switch. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 152015

Outlook 6-cyl

My car was just purchased 3 months ago and it is leaking water heavy into the driver and passenger compartment from the roof area into the headliner, a lot of sloshy while driving from roof area the carpet creating mold, bad odors and possible electrical issue with water dripping on defrost blower near drivers wheel well prior corrosion present there.

- Clover , SC, USA

Feb 122015

Outlook 6-cyl

I had just left a stop light when the service brake system light came on immediately followed by the stabilitrac system is off. Had to pull into a parking lot turn off engine for about 20 seconds to reset system. It happened again today in the parking lot at the local walmart.I'm afraid to take a long trip. Also have a problem with noise in the sterring collum. GMC dealer says the rack and pinion is rubbing and needs to be replaced. The car has never been in an accident. How can this happen ?

- Atwater, CA, USA

Dec 022014

Passenger airbag seat sensor/module doesn't recognize a passenger in no matter the weight.dealership wants $900 for new part. This is a safety issue not a wear and tear issue and should be resolved by GM.

- Dickinson , TX, USA

Mar 062014

Outlook 6-cyl

In March of this year I turned my 2008 Saturn Outlook into haley GMC in midlothian va to fix a recall concerning an air bag warning light that was on in the car. Air bag recall 14030 was performed, however, the warning light was still on in the cabin. Service department at haley informed me that the recall was performed per GM specifications however, the warning light was still on due to a faulty passenger presence module (diagnostic code: B0081). At the time of this repair I had an extended warranty under the gmpp (General Motors protection plan) which was still valid until August of 2014 or 107,000 miles which ever came first. I was told by gmpp that this module was not covered under my current warranty. Since this visit I have taken my complaint through not only the dealership but through corporate GM on two separate occasions pleading with them that this was a safety related issue not a warranty issue. GM has stated to me that this is not a safety related issue and that this part is no longer covered under warranty. They want me to pay them $900 for this repair and I refuse to pay them because this repair should be covered under General Motors. This same issue has been reported by numerous other GM vehicles besides the Saturn Outlook, including the GMC acadia and Saturn sky. I would like to get assistance from your department in challenging back to GM to get this issue addressed for I am driving around in an unsafe vehicle that there is a good chance that if a passenger is traveling with me in the front of the vehicle that the air bag will not go off in a frontal collision.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA