NHTSA — Engine Problems

2008 Saturn Outlook (Page 2 of 2)

2.2

2008 Saturn Outlook engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 242012

Outlook 6-cyl

I purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook. In June 2012. I have had to have the water pump replaced a total of three times. I first replaced the water pump in December 2012 after a trip from Illinois to Georgia. The water pump was repaired on December 24,2012, at a pep boys in Georgia. Luckily I got an extend warranty in May 2013, I took the car to a GM dealrship for other work. They advised that they would perform work under warranty but the water pump was leaking and had to be replaced before the work could be done. I was furious and took back to the closest pep boys. Another water pump was installed at pep boys in may, 2103. I took the car back to GM in June and they advised that the water pump was leaking again. Luickily the service manager replaced the water pump for no charge. I just received notice from GM that they aknowledge a problem with water pump leaks with this model. And would cover the repairs up till 120,000 miles. I do not think that this condition is repairable in that it is unheard of that a car would need three water pumps in a period of seven months. The cmpany says that it is caused by low fluid levels. I have maintained the correct level of coolant in my car since I have owned it and beleive it something alot more than what they are telling me.

- Olympia Fields , IL, USA

Jun 162013

Outlook 6-cyl

While accelerating in speed after being stopped at a red light the vehicle went to shift and the engine rpms went up excessively, and the jerked hard when shifting. It progressively got worse as we tried to make it home. We added transmission fluid because it looked low. The next day the engine light came on. I took it to a transmission repair shop who put it on the diagnostic machine. The said that it showed a solenoid stuck open, but was concerned that the fail safe didn't work properly. They said I should have had reverse, and second to get me off the road safely. However, the reverse didn't kick in unless the vehicle was rolling backwards. They are telling me that the whole transmission will need to be replaced. The car has less than 60000 miles on it.

- Azle, TX, USA

Jun 202013

Outlook 6-cyl

Vehicle has not been shifting correctly for the past year or so. Took it to a GM dealership last week and was told the wave plate in the transmission was cracked. Began researching this problem and found a forum where hundreds of other GM owners have experienced this problem. After reading, it appears that when my car would not shift into reverse two years ago, it was the beginning of the problem. I didn't recognize that as a transmission problem and when I mentioned it to the dealership (which is no longer a GM dealership since they no longer have Saturn), it was dismissed because it only happened one time. I continued to have issues with the shifting but didn't take to authorized GM dealership so they don't have record of it. Recently, RPM's were randomly jumping above 4 on the highway every 10 minutes and I felt lucky to make it home from a recent trip in the mountains. Of course, GM is not willing to take any responsibility and will not provide any financial assistance to repair car but I don't understand how so many people can be experiencing these problems and it not be a recall issue? really upset that my two children were in the car and scared to death we were going to wreck or get stranded!

- Hickory, NC, USA

Feb 142011

Outlook 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the engine would exhibit a loud sound. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure recurred with the illumination of the check engine warning lamp. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the technician advised that the timing chain was stretched and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 37,612 and the current mileage was 65,911.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Sep 012012

Outlook 6-cyl

I have had my the children in the car when the service stabilitrac warning came on causing jerking in heavy city traffic and wouldn't allow me to go. Had it towed and the mechanic said the entire timing component was bad, this was a Chevy dealership. Next I was traveling on a freeway with my children approaching an officer at the scene of a wreck my car revved very high and wouldn't shift anymore....not only with an officer at a accident but also reduced to one lane traffic due to construction. When this happened it nearly caused a collision. I had to attempt to coast to the side of the road. Mechanic said transmission needed to be rebuilt. I have spoke to Saturn and informed then of all my issues...evenafter transmission repairs my car continues to jerk and stall in traffic to the point I was almost T boned by a semi!! I have had my fill of my children at risk from a poorly built car! my passenger airbag won't even kick on and is having problems. All my problems started at 50,000 miles!! my sun roof was leading and I had water gushing down my pillars had to pay for that to be serviced as well!

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 152013

Outlook 6-cyl

Delayed shifting when pressing down accelerator to increase speed to change lanes while on freeway. Took car in for service and was told transmission wave plate was inoperative.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Nov 042012

Outlook 6-cyl

I had transmission problems on my 2008 Saturn Outlook. While driving the car one morning it just stopped accelerating and then locked up and wouldn't move.

- Brighton, IL, USA