2008 Saturn Outlook seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

May 172012

The contact owned a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the driver lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a tree. The contact stated that the vehicle was destroyed but none of the air bags deployed. There was a police report filed and there were no injuries. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Jan 092013

Outlook 6-cyl

Service airbag light came on on the dash and goes out then comes back on. Sometimes it stays lite sometimes it doesn't come on at all, until you lean in the seat.

- Circleville, OH, USA

Oct 042011

Outlook 6-cyl

Prompted to send this complaint after the recent Suzuki air bag recall: The "service air bag" (sir, front passenger air bag) prompt appears on the dash frequently and then disappearing or until we get notification from our onstar monthly diagnostic report that the condition requires our attention. This problem occurred shortly after purchasing the vehicle in 2011 (purchased certified used), which we assumed had been corrected (history code B0021 od) but continues to this very day. We advised the dealer after subsequent and frequent service calls and were finally told by the dealer, after the dealer consulted with the factory, that this condition can be rectified at a cost of approximately $1,500 since the vehicle was now outside the warranty. I wrote to GM to bring to their attention that this was not a mechanical issue but a safety issue and was told that they would not consider a no charge fix until we paid for a diagnostic service of the air bag system. I also informed the GM representative that apparently this air bag system defect is not an isolated one since I found numerous complaints regarding the sir alert on several Saturn blogs off the internet. I can't believe how a manufacturer could totally ignore a safety issue that has the potential for injury or death if there is a failure of the air bag to deploy or even deploy accidentally.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Aug 192013

Outlook 6-cyl

Driving down the highway at 60mph when car slowed down to 10-15mph. Had to place my emergency lights on in order not to get hit by passing vehicles and move to the emergency lane. I had to turn off the car in order for the accelerator to work again. After the first incident the vehicle kept on stalling. Took the vehicle to the dealer and it turns out its the throttle body that's malfunctioning. The warranty I purchased does not cover this type of part, I don't even have a year with this vehicle. In doing my research I find out that there has been an investigation on this vehicle on foresaid problem around the time I purchased the vehicle. The investigation is still opened. Investigation number PE13-003. The Ford dealership is charging me close to $700 in order to get this part fixed. They did not provide this information to me I had to look it up my self. They also did not provide me with a renter car I had to purchase one on my own. Its just unfair.

- Kegley, WV, USA

Jul 182011

Outlook 6-cyl

At around 50K miles on my 2008 Saturn Outlook passenger air bag light came on and stayed on. After taking it to a local Kia dealer, which used to be a Saturn dealer, they informed me that the sensor in the passenger seat was defective and the entire module would need to be replaced at a cost of over $1200. By searching the internet, this seems to be a very common issue and needs to be recalled.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Apr 012013

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the passenger presence module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Southington, OH, USA

May 202013

Outlook 6-cyl

The service airbag light comes on when the car goes over a bump or when a person shifts position in the front passenger seat. Apparently this is a widespread issue and the subject of several service bulletins. GM has not issued a recall for this problem.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jun 032013

Outlook 6-cyl

Was driving on hwy. At 60 mph when engine began to rev and then when I came to stoplight and took off, the car would not go over 30 mph.and would jerk and then as I continued to try to get speed because of others behind me-it would not go. Had to drive 30 mph for two hours to get only 40 miles. Transmission needs to be replaced and GM is not standing behind their product. This is a hazard and there are sooo many complaints with problems just like this and no recall yet-really-so will one be made when someone is killed in an accident. Also when this began I had a 1/2 tank of gas, when I got to dealership-2 hours later-the car was on E!!!!!!!! horrible gas mileage on this too now. Passenger airbag says needs to be serviced-was like this when we purchased and dealer said they would fix-never did and this is a safety concern because it means the passenger is not safe in this vehicle, but then again, none of us are because of GM-am going to begin process with small claims court regarding all of these issues. Horrible vehicle and GM should be ashamed-no wonder I always bought non american made cars-shame on us for thinking GM would be good since it was made in usa.

- Callao, VA, USA

Jun 092013

Outlook 6-cyl

Service air bag warning light came on.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Jul 132011

I purchased a 2008 Saturn Outlook used at approximately 65,000 miles. The passenger air bag sensor had difficulties right off the bat. The GM service department looked at it and after glancing briefly at the computer monitor, it looked like the previous owner had many issues with the airbag sensor, too. They said it was probably something with where my son was sitting in the seat (17 year old boy). The sensor would go on and off intermittently. After some time, the air bag warning light came on. I took it to the dealership again a few months ago and they said I needed to replace the entire sensor for about $1,200. I was unable to do that (also thinking that it would fail again). So, we are driving around with what appears is no passenger side airbag. There have been various service bulletins for the airbag issue and numerous online complaints. I think that this warrants a recall.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Apr 022012

When a passenger is seating in the front seat, the air bag light indicator will say off instead of on.

- Evarts, KY, USA

Sep 012012

Outlook 6-cyl

I have had my the children in the car when the service stabilitrac warning came on causing jerking in heavy city traffic and wouldn't allow me to go. Had it towed and the mechanic said the entire timing component was bad, this was a Chevy dealership. Next I was traveling on a freeway with my children approaching an officer at the scene of a wreck my car revved very high and wouldn't shift anymore....not only with an officer at a accident but also reduced to one lane traffic due to construction. When this happened it nearly caused a collision. I had to attempt to coast to the side of the road. Mechanic said transmission needed to be rebuilt. I have spoke to Saturn and informed then of all my issues...evenafter transmission repairs my car continues to jerk and stall in traffic to the point I was almost T boned by a semi!! I have had my fill of my children at risk from a poorly built car! my passenger airbag won't even kick on and is having problems. All my problems started at 50,000 miles!! my sun roof was leading and I had water gushing down my pillars had to pay for that to be serviced as well!

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 102012

2008 Saturn Outlook, water leak through seal on dash. Shorted out fuse panel allowing the car to run with key turned off and losing function of passenger air bag control. Multiple complaints of this defect in the manufacturing of vehicle. Consumer cost $1300.

- Dayton, TN, USA

Dec 022012

Outlook 6-cyl

Started up vehicle and "service air bag" indicator message and light came on.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Aug 012012

Service air bag indicator message keeps coming on and then going off while I am driving car.

- Reno, NV, USA

Mar 012012

Outlook 6-cyl

The air bag warning light comes on intermittently when there is someone sitting in the passenger side front seat. The dealership informed me that the sensor has malfunctioned and I need to pay $1200 to replace it. At 3 years old and barely 50K the air bags not working on the passenger side is a big deal! there should be a recall for this.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Nov 082008

Outlook 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving at any speed the vehicle would lose power and downshift with an abnormal increase in rpms. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The dealer updated the transmission module but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to lose power with a significant loss of fuel mileage. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000 and the failure mileage was 50,000...updated 07/12/12 the consumer stated the sensor camshaft, cylinder head, battery, windshield wiper motor, air bag wiring harness, power steering rack and gear, front pads and rotors, gaskets for intake manifold, gasket for rear valve cover, right front strut, both strut mounts, engine mounts, left front stabilizer link, headlight harness, timing belt cover seal, exhaust stud, power steering pump, hose and clamp, all had to be replaced. Updated 10/02/12

- Danbury , CT, USA

Apr 102012

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact started the vehicle and noticed that the airbag warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the airbag module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The current and failure mileages were 72,000.

- Torence, CA, USA

Jul 072011

Outlook 6-cyl

In carwash and during rain, water runs in through both driver and passenger side airbag ports in the front, through the dvd player, through the passenger side visor, through the top part of the windshield. Following first incident the radio began to short out, indicating the water had effected the electrical system, the dvd player no longer works, and following the first incident the "check airbag system" light came on and has remained on. The dealer cannot tell me if the airbags will work properly. Repairs by the dealer have not resolved the problem. Is this vehicle safe to drive if water is effecting the electrical system and the airbags" I can hear water sloshing around but the water cannot be seen. There is a damp, musty smell in the vehicle leading me to believe that water is pooling it in the airbag system"

- Brandon, SD, USA

Feb 102011

Outlook 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact entered the vehicle and was unable to activate the low beam headlight passenger side. The high beam headlights would function but not the low beams. Took the vehicle to a repair shop and was informed that the wiring harness was melted. The wiring harnesses was replaced. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 42,000. The consumer received an air bag recall notice. Even though the air bag light was not on, the consumer took the vehicle to the dealer anyway. Six months later, the air bag light illuminated. The consumer was under the assumption, the issue was taken care of. However, the dealer stated the problem was a seat module and it was not covered by the recall. Updated 01/21/15.

- Palatine, IL, USA